ATDHE.net and channelsurfing.net seized by government

Fezmid

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Channelsurfing.net, ATDHE.net, etc shut down by feds.

I'm not surprised that these sites got shut down. What I am surprised by is that Homeland Security is involved. I guess Al Qaeda was streaming those Bills games.

PTR

Dang...they were my go-to guys. Thats a drag, guess it's back to the sports bar next year. $50. bucks a pop, vs. sitting at home in my basement drinking store bought beer, lol.

Dang...they were my go-to guys. Thats a drag, guess it's back to the sports bar next year. $50. bucks a pop, vs. sitting at home in my basement drinking store bought beer, lol.

I think you can but NFL Sunday Ticket for your computer now. Just as expensive as Direct TVs version but at least you don't need a satellite.

PTR

Yes, it is a very slippery slope. The DOHS was originally intended to protect us from terrorism on our home soil. Somehow, someway they became involved in cracking down on the distribution of copyrighted material. I echo another poster, what this has to do with terrorism is beyond me. Perhaps they should stick to their original aim - fighting terrorism. Here is an article about how they seized and shutdown particular websites that distributed music:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/27/technology/27torrent.html

Homeland Security got a lot of jurisdiction outside of terrorism - this one somehow came under their customs and immigration department, which has a lot of room to maneuver on internet crimes, thus, they're the ones who do the bust.

I figure I got no squeak - not legal in US - but some of the sites have been found legal by the courts in the country where they're hosted (Spain, Netherlands etc)

So I'm unclear on what the US jurisdiction is here.

Yes, it is a very slippery slope. The DOHS was originally intended to protect us from terrorism on our home soil. Somehow, someway they became involved in cracking down on the distribution of copyrighted material. I echo another poster, what this has to do with terrorism is beyond me. Perhaps they should stick to their original aim - fighting terrorism. Here is an article about how they seized and shutdown particular websites that distributed music:

It seems that enforcement gets serious when it costs someone money. The NFL, NBA, etc have every right to protect their copyrighted material. But when does it become the taxpayer's responsibility to underwrite that protection? Talk about corporate welfare.

PTR

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/126672-atdhenet-and-channelsurfingnet-seized-by-government/page__view__findpost__p__2099342

DHS is actually a lot more than fighting terrorism...not that I'm saying they should be involved in internet copyright violation, mind you.

I don't understand how streaming content normally on tv hurts anyone. We see all the ads that bring in revenue for these games, what's the issue?

Either way, atdhe is already back at atdhe.me, and the dance will forever go on.

These sites wouldn't be necessary if the NFL offered better services. NBA does it the right way with NBA League Pass, in my opinion. It's cheaper, there are a couple digital tiers, you can watch it online, on your mobile phone, or on TV.

I don't understand how streaming content normally on tv hurts anyone. We see all the ads that bring in revenue for these games, what's the issue?

Either way, atdhe is already back at atdhe.me, and the dance will forever go on.

These sites wouldn't be necessary if the NFL offered better services. NBA does it the right way with NBA League Pass, in my opinion. It's cheaper, there are a couple digital tiers, you can watch it online, on your mobile phone, or on TV.

Exactly, plus if they got rid of the arcane blackout rule, they'd make $ off of advertising. The NFL loses big amounts of $ by blacking out games. So, for them to get their share of the online market, they should offer a more fan friendly service in a down economy. That said, myp2p.eu is still up.

I question how this hurts anyone other than stockholder's profits. Even then a "pirated" feed is still showing the advertisements that the NFL wants to be shown. This is completely illogical, imo.

Furthermore, it makes no sense at all why DHS is doing this and not FBI or some internal intelligence agency.

The Interwebs will strike back!!

The Po-po can't keep the network down!

J/k but seriously..I don't see a way around internet piracy. The NFL should just stream the games on the website of the channel it is being aired on. They still get to play their ads....they still get to make money...we still try to make out who the players are whilst wishing broadband internet would get broader and faster.

Homeland security is better off monitoring terrorists and pedophiles.

Edited by BillsRUs

Hopefully this will make the NFL re-think their policies (i highly doubt it tho). Instead of gouging people $400 to watch some football games, they could take a more tiered approach, such as letting people buy a "team season pass" or division pass for $150.

Exactly, plus if they got rid of the arcane blackout rule, they'd make $ off of advertising. The NFL loses big amounts of $ by blacking out games. So, for them to get their share of the online market, they should offer a more fan friendly service in a down economy. That said, myp2p.eu is still up.

I question how this hurts anyone other than stockholder's profits. Even then a "pirated" feed is still showing the advertisements that the NFL wants to be shown. This is completely illogical, imo.

Furthermore, it makes no sense at all why DHS is doing this and not FBI or some internal intelligence agency.

Well, it definitely hurts DirectTV's profits, and I guess if you watch a Buffalo feed in Charlotte, you're steering yourself away from one set of advertisers (who paid) vs. another (who didn't, and might not care about you if you're not going to buy a car from West Herr).

The Justice Department, ICE, and Homeland Security have shut down ten online sports streaming sites like atdhe.net, channelsurfing.net, and firstrow.com in advance of the Super Bowl. If you are watching the big game and can't get to a television, plan ahead by tracking down an alternate site to watch the game. Not sure how this affects Sabres games and the Bills are months away.

The Justice Department, ICE, and Homeland Security have shut down ten online sports streaming sites like atdhe.net, channelsurfing.net, and firstrow.com in advance of the Super Bowl. If you are watching the big game and can't get to a television, plan ahead by tracking down an alternate site to watch the game. Not sure how this affects Sabres games and the Bills are months away.

RMPL, DB.

Homeland security huh. Now that's a great use of my tax money. :wallbash:

Guess the taliban were planning on watching the superbowl illegally.

Edited by CodeMonkey