Snow anyone?

BB27

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rochester is more than 2 feet above normal for the year, but this big event that was supposed to happen overnight/today was pretty lame. Predicted 8 to 16 inches, we've got 2 since it 'began'.

Freezing rain kept out snowfall down. Maybe 8 inches of snow w/2 inches of ice sandwiched in. Prediction here was for 18" of snow. Neighbors on both sides snowblowed my walks (lucky me...yea!! )and plow guy takes care of my long driveway. Streets are already down to the pavement and life goes on. Thaw tomorrow, then next big snowfall for the weekend. Same old, same old. Two more months to go!!

He really meant "a friend of my wife's, I just tag along."

Actually, that's exactly it.

They're dragging me out to see "Gnomeo and Juliet" next weekend...I expect, come next Sunday, I'll have a brand new "most hated movie" to B word about.

Actually, that's exactly it.

They're dragging me out to see "Gnomeo and Juliet" next weekend...I expect, come next Sunday, I'll have a brand new "most hated movie" to B word about.

Tom, there's this really great word in the English language. I use it frequently. It's........NO!

What about the dissolved salt or oil that floats on top? This is as big as milk spills.

I take that you didn't look at how the think operates. The oil on top... The thing drains from the bottom. Not sure about the dissolved salt... There is a way to bring that back to a solid... It explains that, but doesn't do it throughly.

And no, it isn't like farmers spilling their milk since they are not able to get rid of the extra amount. Try again, you won't get it stick.

So what's the govt's plan for the sediment when the snow melts naturally? :rolleyes:

Not sure. It usually melts where it falls. Anyway, on that note... The gov't plan on the LSD (Lake Shore Drive) in Chicago has ALWAYS been to lower the speed limit in the winter... They lower it to 40 mph.

So yes... There are plans in place. :nana:

Freezing rain kept out snowfall down. Maybe 8 inches of snow w/2 inches of ice sandwiched in. Prediction here was for 18" of snow. Neighbors on both sides snowblowed my walks (lucky me...yea!! )and plow guy takes care of my long driveway. Streets are already down to the pavement and life goes on. Thaw tomorrow, then next big snowfall for the weekend. Same old, same old. Two more months to go!!

Kinda the same here with the 20" snowfall... Closed for a bit... Open tomorrow... Except in the cluster!@#$ they call the city... That may take an extra day or two. Just as it is with BFLO, the real problem is the narrow on-street parking and the here with the alleys. They take the garbage trucks and fit them with plows and then do the alleys last. One of the reasons why I like municipal sanitation... A private contractor for trash pickup wouldn't be caught dead plowing without charging extra.

The big thing is the open areas where the snow covers and makes the road vanish... Those have to be constantly maintained all winter while the snow exists. Really considering how bad it was... Only a two day blip at most. My friend's car was buried yesterday... He is out today.

Tom, there's this really great word in the English language. I use it frequently. It's........NO!

You don't think that word (NO!) works both ways with woman? :P

Anyway... I am betting Tom did a quick cost analysis study on saying no. :D

Snow Snow Snow!

Too much on the ground already, and we're in for another big hit starting tomorrow. I would say there is about 30 - 35" of snow in my yard right now, (Hartford has gotten 70" so far this year!) and they are saying there is the potential for 2 feet over the next few days! I can't shoot it high enough with my snowblower to get it out of the driveway in some spots.

Spent the weekend getting snow off my roof, and want to get some more down today. The piles in front and behind my house are approaching 5 - 6 foot in height!

So, how much you got?

As of today...I now have 6 inches.

Upper 70s and brilliant sun in the Sf Bay area today. :devil:

I can top that... 29 and brilliant sun in Illinois today... Man was it awesome... I was running around and working in the garage... Quite the t-shirt weather! Perfect "working weather."

Cold is a state of mind... Until you lose your fingers and toes to frostbite.

:P

Why was Chicago freaking out about getting a 22" snowstorm?

That's just the opening gun of winter for Western NY.

Go back in the thread... I noted what you said. The storm isn't localized like it is in BFLO/WNY... And the topography of the region makes that 22" paltry snowstorm into a BFLO storm on steriods. That 22" is like 60 " because of the flat topo. I mentioned how the whole region resembles route 219 in WNY after a major storm... There is just nowhere to hide... Now mix in about 9 million people in the WI,IL, and IN tristate area. Whole roads disappear/vanish even when the sun is shining. In WNY it is so localized... A fall storm can bring 40" of snow and 40 miles away people are raking leaves... Heck, you can knock that down to 10 mile bands. Again, the problem is the region's topo make-up. 22" is not the true story.

Speaking of Chicago proper, I think they handled it awesome... Everything was back to almost norm in 24-48 hours.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Go back in the thread... I noted what you said. The storm isn't localized like it is in BFLO/WNY... And the topography of the region makes that 22" paltry snowstorm into a BFLO storm on steriods. That 22" is like 60 " because of the flat topo. I mentioned how the whole region resembles route 219 in WNY after a major storm... There is just nowhere to hide... Now mix in about 9 million people in the WI,IL, and IN tristate area. Whole roads disappear/vanish even when the sun is shining. In WNY it is so localized... A fall storm can bring 40" of snow and 40 miles away people are raking leaves... Heck, you can knock that down to 10 mile bands. Again, the problem is the region's topo make-up. 22" is not the true story.

Speaking of Chicago proper, I think they handled it awesome... Everything was back to almost norm in 24-48 hours.

He is not kidding, in the midwest it can be scary.

Living in Toledo a while you'd go out in the country it was awful, especially in dark or when the sun was bright. You wouldn't see a snow drift and then all of a sudden you're plowing through a 2 to 3 foot snow drift while only 8 or 9 inches was on the ground.

He is not kidding, in the midwest it can be scary.

Living in Toledo a while you'd go out in the country it was awful, especially in dark or when the sun was bright. You wouldn't see a snow drift and then all of a sudden you're plowing through a 2 to 3 foot snow drift while only 8 or 9 inches was on the ground.

By my pine in the back yard... I had nothing but grass... My deck 8 feet away was coverd in about 6-7' of snow.