Electrical issue question

Fezmid

Ok, I think I know the answer to this but want to get a second opinion.

So my wife has an electric blanket that she loves. Uses it all the time. Well today she wasn't paying attention and somehow the cord got stuck in the recliner. When she lowered the recliner, the wire was sheared, and the breaker it was on was tripped just like it was supposed to be.

I unplugged the blanket, went into the basement and tried to reset the circuit breaker -- but it won't stay in the "on" position. There's no "click" and reset, it just refuses to stay "on."

So based on my reading, I'm assuming that the breaker is fried and I need to have it replaced. Does this sound about right? Is there something else I should have looked at as well (the blanket was plugged into a surge protector/power strip which was plugged into the wall). Like I said, everything seems normal.

I've never liked electric blankets...

So my wife has an electric blanket that she loves. Uses it all the time. Well today she wasn't paying attention and somehow the cord got stuck in the recliner. When she lowered the recliner, the wire was sheared, and the breaker it was on was tripped just like it was supposed to be.

I unplugged the blanket, went into the basement and tried to reset the circuit breaker -- but it won't stay in the "on" position. There's no "click" and reset, it just refuses to stay "on."

So based on my reading, I'm assuming that the breaker is fried and I need to have it replaced. Does this sound about right? Is there something else I should have looked at as well (the blanket was plugged into a surge protector/power strip which was plugged into the wall). Like I said, everything seems normal.

I'm no electrician, so take this info FWIW.

You said the blanket was plugged into a power strip/surge protector.

Theoretically, the power strip should have tripped way before circuit breaker did.

Is the power strip still plugged into the wall? If so, unplug it and retry the circuit breaker. If it resets, the power strip is most likely shorted out, and time for a new one. If it still wont reset, how did the power strip plug look? Was it black and/or have a melted look to it? Check the electrical outlet in the wall. Remove the face plate and with a flashlight, look at the outlet face and sides. If any part of it looks melted, you are better off replacing it.

Circuit breakers are fairly easy to replace and are not terribly expensive. At this point, you could either buy one and replace it to see if it solves the problem, or call in an pro.

I'm no electrician, so take this info FWIW.

You said the blanket was plugged into a power strip/surge protector.

Theoretically, the power strip should have tripped way before circuit breaker did.

Is the power strip still plugged into the wall? If so, unplug it and retry the circuit breaker. If it resets, the power strip is most likely shorted out, and time for a new one. If it still wont reset, how did the power strip plug look? Was it black and/or have a melted look to it? Check the electrical outlet in the wall. Remove the face plate and with a flashlight, look at the outlet face and sides. If any part of it looks melted, you are better off replacing it.

Circuit breakers are fairly easy to replace and are not terribly expensive. At this point, you could either buy one and replace it to see if it solves the problem, or call in an pro.

The power strip is actually fine... And the circuit breaker in it didn't even trip. Stupid piece of junk. :P

I tested all 6 outlets in the strip, and they all work. Looking at the outlet from the outside, it looks fine but I'll pull the plate off tomorrow and check it out.

If it's the electrical box though, I think I"m calling in a pro -- I don't trust touching that... :)

Crisis averted. After reading more online, I kept seeing references to "ensuring the circuit is fully off before turning it back on." So I went back to the breaker and pushed it all the way to the left -- which I could've sworn I tried before but must not have. It moved all the way to the left, so I then pushed it back to the right and everything appears to be working.

I'm leaving it off overnight, just in case... Will turn it on when I"m not sleeping, since I don't want to burn to death... Just in case. :blush:

The power strip is actually fine... And the circuit breaker in it didn't even trip. Stupid piece of junk. :P

I tested all 6 outlets in the strip, and they all work. Looking at the outlet from the outside, it looks fine but I'll pull the plate off tomorrow and check it out.

If it's the electrical box though, I think I"m calling in a pro -- I don't trust touching that... :)

Changing a breaker isn't very hard or dangerous.... Trip the main, take out the old, put in the new (minding to put the wires in the same configuration), throw the main back on, replace panel. Checking out a DIY book can save quite a bit of coin. But I can appreciate someone who feels it's beyond their ken, especially when it gets into things like electricity, furnace or plumbing.

Wait just one GD minute

Do not panic

The breaker switch is probably just "floating" in the middle...Move it all the way to the left before trying to re-set it all the way to the right and see if that works

If not, call an electrician

Edited by Bills99999

Wait just one GD minute

Do not panic

The breaker switch is probably just "floating" in the middle...Move it all the way to the left before trying to re-set it all the way to the right and see if that works

If not, call an electrician

You were correct (I posted that last night too ;) ). I tried pushing it to the left when it first happened, but just didn't push it hard enough.

My wife turned the breaker on today and everything seems to be fine. Yay for not having to spend money! ;)

You were correct (I posted that last night too ;) ). I tried pushing it to the left when it first happened, but just didn't push it hard enough.

My wife turned the breaker on today and everything seems to be fine. Yay for not having to spend money! ;)

Fez, I think you need to get to the gym. :rolleyes: