Where were you 25 years ago?

Just Jack

Challenger: 25 years later, a still painful wound

I was in study hall when one of the librians came across the hall and told us what happened. We all went over there to see the replays on TV. Next class was french class. I told the teacher, and she wanted to go see it for herself. Told her go ahead, we could wait a few minutes for class to start. One of my friends in the same class didn't believe me, he also went over to the library to see it for himself.

Northworst Airlines Club, Minneapolis-St. Paul airport, waiting with a client to fly back to Boston. Terrible end to an otherwise successful business trip.

I think the folks in Boston (where I lived at the time) and the surrounding region were particularly crushed because NH school teacher Christa McAuliffe was born in Boston.

Strangely similar to Jack's story: I was in study hall when I found out, but it happened 20 minutes earlier during my French class. Another teacher came into my silent study hall and whispered to the SH proctor (my former French teacher) and she gasped and said, "The space shuttle exploded." Her voice was even, not alarmed. She said it as a statement but there was a plaintive tone to it, like she didn't want it to be true. I'll never forget how, well, weird it felt. I didn't see it until I got home that afternoon.

Horrible day. :cry:

I was in Elementary School, wondering why the News was on TV instead of GI Joe and Transformers

me too. i was a chump. like 7 years old. i just thought it sucked. but didnt ponder too much like i did for like 9eleven.

im pretty sure i still played football out on the block that day. maybe threw a few tds. and caught a few tds. i had it like that.

Working for United Airlines in Houston. Not my choice of places to be but the 80's economy was a lot like now. Not many jobs, but much higher interest rates.

Because the Johnson Space Center is in Houston, it really hit them hard. I remember a big Memorial Service at the Space Center. There is a plot for the Challenger Astronauts at Arlington. I don't know if all the "remains" are there, but some are buried there.

at lunch in elementary school in lovely Newark, NY. The teachers brought in a TV on one of those large metal carts to watch it. after it happened we had recess the rest of the day, I think they were afraid to let us watch further coverage of it.

whats amazing is talking to people here in Orlando, who saw it explode. if you didn't know, you can see shuttle go up from here.

Lobby of the First National Bank Of Slippery Rock waiting to make a deposit or get some money, can't remember which. Remember watching for like 30 minutes in that lobby, and all the other customers and tellers watching as well.

My roomates not believing me when I tild them waht happened when I got home...we had no TV at the time.