Free Agency 2011

UticaBill

The Bills can upgrade their LB and TE real quick this year and I hope they spend their money there. It's a toss up between Miller and Lewis at TE. Either would be a coup for the Bills.

I too hope the Bills spend their FA money on a legit starting TE...I like the two you mentioned, but I would also throw in Owen Daniels TE for the Texans.

I think LB should be the other place the Bills concentrate their FA dollars.

It wouldn't surprise me if all three of the guys that you mentioned got the franchise tag placed on them.

I would throw big money at Mankins , and we might just land him considering the perceived ill-will he has for the Pats FO. If we added Mankins , that would give us , Bell-Levitre-Wood-Mankins...could Hang play RT? If so , thats a hell of an O-line. Imagine CJ and Freddy running behind that line , not to mention the protection Fitz would get.

Im of the thinking that addressing our defense should be our #1 priority , but the chance to land a perennial probowl guard in Mankins would be awesome.

What do you think are the odds of making the base package a 4-3 this year. I know its based on personal, but not for nothing we dont have personnel suited for either. I think a great start for our front 7 is below. Any thoughts

I'd prefer a 4-3 (simply because our players are not suited for 3-4 even though they were supposed to be)

DE-Carrington, Robert Quinn(draft at #3) DT- Kyle Williams, Torell Troup

OLB- Merriman, Herzlich B.C. or ANY FREE AGENT WOULD BE AN UPGRADE

ILB- Poz

Edited by coseybedaman

I would poop my pants if we signed Ngata and Whitner was not brought back.

Hali is supposed to be pretty darn good, too.

Others have mentioned TE Zach Miller, but I realized that he was also in the Pro Bowl yesterday.

None of these guys are gonna be cheap- which unless Overdorf and Littman suddenly loosen the purse strings means that we're only dreaming here.

I would throw big money at Mankins , and we might just land him considering the perceived ill-will he has for the Pats FO. If we added Mankins , that would give us , Bell-Levitre-Wood-Mankins...could Hang play RT? If so , thats a hell of an O-line. Imagine CJ and Freddy running behind that line , not to mention the protection Fitz would get.

Im of the thinking that addressing our defense should be our #1 priority , but the chance to land a perennial probowl guard in Mankins would be awesome.

Indeed, with Wood most likely moving to C, we would have a vacancy at RG. But how old in Mankins?

Also, don't forget the year end comments Gailey had for RT Pears. The guy barely played for us, but Gailey sounded as if we found our RT for now and the future.

I too hope the Bills spend their FA money on a legit starting TE...I like the two you mentioned, but I would also throw in Owen Daniels TE for the Texans.

I think LB should be the other place the Bills concentrate their FA dollars.

I thought that the Bills should have signed Daniels the last time he was a FA.

Speaking of which...is Daniels a free agent again?

While everyone has been focused on the draft, I have been looking over the free agent crop this year, and there are some very intriguing people the Bills might target. (under 30yrs old, not wanting top money) Of course the order is from most costly to least (IMHO) any group of say 2 - 3 would greatly increase the Bills strength.

H. Ngata DT, T. Hali OLB, L. Woodley OLB, R. Edwards DE, J. Gaither OT, D. Joseph OT, D. Harris ILB, S. Tulioch ILB, C. Greenway OLB, M. Kilawaka DE/OLB, G. Cofield DT, B. Ruud ILB, D. Free OT, Z. Miller TE, S. Ellis DT, M. Lewis TE, and resign POZ ILB

Of course things depend on Wanstedt and the final base alignment. It's my understanding that Dave has always coached a 4-3 base so I tended to lean toward improving the 4-3 but left wiggle room for a 3-4 or hybrid base too.

obviously a few of these players will never hit the market....

Being lazy, but can someone take each of the top defensive players in this list and, for each, present their merits and their negatives?

H. Ngata:

I didn't realize some of them were available, gives me hope that the Bills can compete next year. But who is the best at: stopping the run?, putting pressure on the quarterback?, and making big plays?

The D we'll run is a hybrid. Base 34 with 43 fronts at times! Stroud should be gone along with a few others. We really should go dline to make either scheme effective. If we could address any two positions in Fa, that would really give us options in the draft!

Soliai would be my first choice and if not the bills better plan on getting Phil Taylor from baylor. IMO, if the bills want to make a playoff run this year, they should make the nessecary moves.

Even if they have a game plan to follow, they can upgrade it along the way.