Free Agency 2011

UticaBill

While everyone has been focused on the draft, I have been looking over the free agent crop this year, and there are some very intriguing people the Bills might target. (under 30yrs old, not wanting top money) Of course the order is from most costly to least (IMHO) any group of say 2 - 3 would greatly increase the Bills strength.

H. Ngata DT, T. Hali OLB, L. Woodley OLB, R. Edwards DE, J. Gaither OT, D. Joseph OT, D. Harris ILB, S. Tulioch ILB, C. Greenway OLB, M. Kilawaka DE/OLB, G. Cofield DT, B. Ruud ILB, D. Free OT, Z. Miller TE, S. Ellis DT, M. Lewis TE, and resign POZ ILB

Of course things depend on Wanstedt and the final base alignment. It's my understanding that Dave has always coached a 4-3 base so I tended to lean toward improving the 4-3 but left wiggle room for a 3-4 or hybrid base too.

obviously a few of these players will never hit the market....

While everyone has been focused on the draft, I have been looking over the free agent crop this year, and there are some very intriguing people the Bills might target. (under 30yrs old, not wanting top money) Of course the order is from most costly to least (IMHO) any group of say 2 - 3 would greatly increase the Bills strength.

H. Ngata DT, T. Hali OLB, L. Woodley OLB, R. Edwards DE, J. Gaither OT, D. Joseph OT, D. Harris ILB, S. Tulioch ILB, C. Greenway OLB, M. Kilawaka DE/OLB, G. Cofield DT, B. Ruud ILB, D. Free OT, Z. Miller TE, S. Ellis DT, M. Lewis TE, and resign POZ ILB

Of course things depend on Wanstedt and the final base alignment. It's my understanding that Dave has always coached a 4-3 base so I tended to lean toward improving the 4-3 but left wiggle room for a 3-4 or hybrid base too.

:huh: .......... :lol: I think you mean Mathias Kiwanuka

I'd b happy if we got one of these guys. Any of them would be upgrades.

Unfortunately, Buffalo's recent free agency track record, free agent spending habits (too much or non existent), poor weather, lack of winning, and Ralph Wilson probably are five (5) reasons why these guys aren't clamoring to their agents saying, "get me to Buffalo." Hopefully an upcoming winning culture will open up free agency just like running the football opens up passing plays from the playbook.

Mankins, Sioli, Z.Miller (or another TE).

Just one of those 3 please.

I think we keep forgetting Soliai, 6'4 355 NT, which would allow Kyle Williams to move to RE and Stroud stays at LE. That actually becomes a pretty good front 3. with Edwards, Carrington, Troupe and Johnson as back ups.

I think the mid season addition of Chad Rinehart and Kraig Urbik and players like Mansfield Wrotto and Howard mean we are not looking for a guard, I'd rather give Harris or Rudd the money to play inside Linebacker. I know Mankins is far better than the four I mentioned, but the gap is smaller than the gap between those Linebackers and what we currently have.

and Miller would be an absolute, a good TE improves every aspect of the offense. Miller blocks well, he is not a TE that's going to give you the 70 yard TD, but he will be there on 3rd and 7 to move the chains. It also creates less safety over the top coverage on Lee Evans and Stevie Johnson.

the position I'd love to see us improve is RT, I like Wayne Hunter, for several season, he is strong enough to play the RT and athletic enough to play LT, this year he was the back up or swing tackle for the jets. He would be a Buddy type move, getting a overachieving back up.

Mankins, Sioli, Z.Miller (or another TE).

Just one of those 3 please.

I really don't see a need to spend money at guard so Mankins is not going to happen. Sioliai is a possibility though I somehow think Miami won't let him come to us....

When I said sign 2-3 of them, I assumed one of them would be POZ so really only bringing in 1-2 FAs and that is what the Bills traditionally have done each year along with another couple "journeymen" type players.... I think we "wind up" with Von Miller at #3 (assuming we don't trade down)since Bowers and Fairley will be gone by then. (I hope we try to trade down!)

I think Von Miller, Martez Wilson, and Christian Ponder will be the big three draftees......assuming they are there for us. Ponder is a lot like Fitz but with a few upgrades.... maybe not the guy most fans want, but a very capable starter someday.

I would absolutely love Soliai? - Miami's NT. A good NT that can clog the middle would do us wonders. And linebackers - I think we've got 4 that could be good out of Batten, Moats, Merriman, Poz, Davis, Kelsay, Coleman - I'd like to see us add a real beast of an ILB, and then draft another good one.

Also, with Gailey talking about being ahead of the wave - as he calls it - with the QB's, it's funny he's not mentioned too much about the need for getting a killer T.E. like Green Bay's, for instance. That guy has DE size, and WR moves. A guy like that could really change our offense. Imagine adding that kind of a weapon to our middle, not to mention the red zone. I don't know if there is that kind of a mold out there in F.A. or the Draft. Maybe Mercedes Lewis?

im a huge proponent of bringing in soliai,, he would be great here,,but i think we need 3 in fa .my dream list is soliai,woodley and miller..lets hope merriman does have some pull .. heck why were dreaming throw in gradkowski for qb depth,i really dont think any of the top ol are really that available

im a huge proponent of bringing in soliai,, he would be great here,,but i think we need 3 in fa .my dream list is soliai,woodley and miller..lets hope merriman does have some pull .. heck why were dreaming throw in gradkowski for qb depth,i really dont think any of the top ol are really that available

We're not bringing in Soliai. That's not how the plan is laying out from my observations of Buddy and Chan. They drafted their NT last year along with their DE in Troup and Carrington respectively. Remember that Chan and Buddy both feel the players in year two are the ones who will really help the team, not rooks. They are not going to drop big bucks on what they think we already have.

IMO, the line will be Troup NT, KW at DE an Edwards and Carrington at DE, unless they feel Dareus is too awesome to pass up. Stroud is done. They are going to concentrate on ILB and OLB. They won't resign Poz and go for bigger, stronger ILB's in FA and in the draft. (little chance Harris will be available but that would be a helluva pick up) They will likely draft another OLB and use Merriman on one side and Moats working in as back up. I agree that guard is a long shot, but we really need a competent RT that can run block. So that may come in the draft of FA or trade.

Honestly, looking at how they have acted and what they say, I don't think we'll see a ton of movement on the DL. They feel they have the pieces an that our LB's flat out suck, which is hard to argue.

If I were able to have a say in things, I'd make Harris the top target. He'd instantly improve the quality of the LBs and bring needed experience to the scheme. Plus, he'd weaken the Jets. A win win.

I'd also look hard at offering Mankins big money to come here. With Wood moving to center there's a hole at Guard. Ubrik isn't a sure thing (for me) and frankly I think some here are counting on him to be more than he is. Bringing in a pro bowl interior lineman like Mankins, someone with attitude to put along side of Wood would do wonders for the running game. But, I find it hard to believe that Mankins will be allowed to walk away from NE.

There's no way Ngata gets anything other than a franchise tag. Otherwise he'd be on my list. But Harris would be priority number 1 (and should be) with Mankins being 1a or 2.

Just my worthless two cents.

The Bills are going to put in place a defense that is suited for us. That being said, if they get a true NT up front, then they may stay 3-4. If not, they will be a 4-3. Hiring a new defensive coach does not say they will go with his style. The team must go with what the talent says. The main unit of a 3-4 is the NT. Yes williams is a beast, but he doesn't clog the line like a true 3-4 NT would do. If they can't hold the front up, then you can have any beast as a lb, but they will get caught up and not produce. I really hope the Bills grab a solid NT if they decide to go with a 3-4. If not, then get a couple of beats for a 4-3. Either way we look at it, I strongly feel we need more of a defensive lineman first.

If I were able to have a say in things, I'd make Harris the top target. He'd instantly improve the quality of the LBs and bring needed experience to the scheme. Plus, he'd weaken the Jets. A win win.

I'd also look hard at offering Mankins big money to come here. With Wood moving to center there's a hole at Guard. Ubrik isn't a sure thing (for me) and frankly I think some here are counting on him to be more than he is. Bringing in a pro bowl interior lineman like Mankins, someone with attitude to put along side of Wood would do wonders for the running game. But, I find it hard to believe that Mankins will be allowed to walk away from NE.

There's no way Ngata gets anything other than a franchise tag. Otherwise he'd be on my list. But Harris would be priority number 1 (and should be) with Mankins being 1a or 2.

Just my worthless two cents.

It wouldn't surprise me if all three of the guys that you mentioned got the franchise tag placed on them.