The crossing route

Mickey

I am probably the last one to notice this so at the risk of screaming the obvious, lets talk about the crossing route, you know the play, where Moulds runs a delay pattern across the field about 1 yard past the line of scrimmage.

Sometimes he makes the catch but it is 5 yards short of the first so you want to throw your chili-cheese fries into the cheap seats (at least until you remember how much they cost and how they are the only "cheat" you allow youself on the freaking South Beach diet). Sometimes they don't connect due to a bad throw, a lousy non-catch or good coverage. Sometimes he makes the grab and breaks one and sometimes its Evans now instead of Moulds.

It seems like we run this thing to death. My theory is that we run it because it works now and then but more importantly, it is a good option when the rush is on and Drew needs to get rid of it. He always knows that pattern is there so he can check down to it quick and dump the ball to avoid disaster without even having to think about it. I think that is why we include that as one of the patterns on so many of the pass plays, it is a reliable safety valve basically. We usually end up punting but every so often, it breaks. That and Shelton out of the backfield seem to be the dump offs against biltzes that have beat the protection scheme.

Next time you see that play fail to get the yardage needed, realize that Bledsoe knew that was likely the case when he threw it, he was just playing it safe when no one else was open while at the same time giving us a chance at a play if Moulds or Evans breaks that first tackle. It is like throwing it out of bounds but retaining a small chance of still getting the needed yardage.