Egypt shuts down the internet

Fezmid

On a somewhat related note, the Internet Kill Switch bill is back...

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31921_3-20029282-281.html

Long story short, this bill would give the President (Obama and whatever future Republican or Democratic President you may or may not like) authority to shut down parts of the Intarwebs in the event of a cyber emergency.

On a somewhat related note, the Internet Kill Switch bill is back...

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31921_3-20029282-281.html

Long story short, this bill would give the President (Obama and whatever future Republican or Democratic President you may or may not like) authority to shut down parts of the Intarwebs in the event of a cyber emergency.

And the definition of "cyber emergency"? Parts of the Intarwebs are down.

Brilliant bill. Kind of like putting a kill switch on my car in case it stalls out.

Internet? Hard to care with tanks in the street. Given the involvement of the Muslim brotherhood,I wonder if this is Iran 1978.

The one bright spot in that is that el Baradei seems to be the figurehead for the protests...and he's hardly an Islamic radical.

Link

"It can't happen here," said Jim Cowie, the chief technology officer and a co-founder of Renesys, a network security firm in Manchester, N.H., that studies Internet disruptions. "How many people would you have to call to shut down the U.S. Internet? Hundreds, thousands maybe? We have enough Internet here that we can have our own Internet. If you cut it off, that leads to a philosophical question: Who got cut off from the Internet, us or the rest of the world?"

Link

CAIRO – Egypt's embattled President Hosni Mubarak said Friday he had asked his Cabinet to resign and promised reforms in his first response to protesters who have mounted the biggest challenge ever to his 30-year rule.

Interesting in that Mubarak is beginning to fold. Him out of power is a good thing IMO, but what concerns me is who will replace him if he is forced out.

So much for BillsFanInCairo. ;)

I was just there a couple of months ago, weird to read about what's going on there now.

lmao!!!!

hey billsfanincairo if you're reading this, you're probably in the archive section of this website and its 2013.....ooooooohhhhhh scarrrrryyyyyy

Very weird. Some of the things that I have always wanted were to see in my life were the Pyramids, the Sphinx, Karnack, and Alexandria

But now :unsure: I'm not sure I want to go there

I'm with ya -- and am very happy that I got to go a couple of months ago, because like you said, I don't think I'd want to go now....

Thing is, everyone was very friendly when we were there (except the people peddling their crappy wares by the pyramids and Sphinx - they were annoying as hell). Our guide did say a couple of things that in hindsight indicated general displeasure though. First, there was an election a week or two before we got there. He said he didn't even care to vote because he hated both choices and most of the people he knew felt the same way. Second, he was very upset that many women dressed in "western" clothes. He thought that they should be covered like traditional Islam requires. He also said that women don't know how to drive. ;)

So if the protests "succeed" and the government is toppled -- what happens next? Do they become a strict form of Islam where women are once again oppressed? Are women protesting or is it mainly men?