Not Being a Homer.... but

The more exposure I get of Chan Gailey with respect to his ability to coach QBs and strategize offensively, The more impressed i get with him as a coach. Does that mean i am certain he will guide the team to a world championship because of his abilities? Probably not, but it won't be due to his abilities as a coach. You can only do so much with the talent given, and unless this team gets really good and really deep in a lot of areas, it's not going to happen any time soon. But I do believe the team has a great head coach in him, and would love to see him here long enough to accomplish the quest of a title. I was one who wanted Shanny, didn't really think Bill Cowher was the answer, but had to clue Chan was even an option, and was very unsure of the hire. At best he seemed like a stop-gap for the next 3 years until we underwent another rebuilding. He really seems to know the game well, and I truly respect his opinion of upcoming college players. I never had that type of confidence in any other Bills head coach, and that's saying something, I have been around a while now, and seen quite a few of them.

I would even go so far to say that if he were a coach on the Jests squad, there is no doubt Mark Sanchez would be much better than he is today. This is one case where the Bills went off the radar and got someone not many teams were considering, and actually scored. Now that the front office has added a well respected coach in Dave Wannstedt, it's time for Buddy Nix to infuse this team with talent and make WNY forget all about 1-5(SB Record) Bill Polian. Yes I love the guy, and yes his teams win a ton of games, which I would not be unhappy about, but he's gone, never to return, so it's now time to quit whining about it, and move on. It's funny how other teams can do it without Bill Polian as GM.

But to summarize, this team may be sitting on one of the next great head coaches in Bills history, and deliver what WNY has always pined for. Now if our crotchety owner would just go ahead and Will the team to Jim Kelly, Buffalo would be all set and able to dream long term again.

Buddy - Daft well, keep the talent rolling in, and spend Ralph's money, he has plenty.

Ralph - sell the team to Jim Kelly, I am sure he'll keep you on as an executive, and give you the best luxury box in the stadium, plus all the Mighty Taco you can eat for life, and maybe a new tennis racket.

Jim - Get your ass in gear and pile up the investors now.

NY State government - Give WNY a break, you're bleeding it dry, I want to move back home already!

Go Bills.

I'm pretty sure he's been given a 3 year guarantee of sorts, so as long as things start moving in the right direction, he should be the man for a few years to come.

That being said, the Bills got worse over this last year, if he continues that trend, I don't know if I want him around. I like his style, his honesty, etc... but the team needs to win more close games. (and more games in general, heh)

All I know, is Buffalo needs to stop the coaching carousel. I don't know if Chan is the answer but he needs to stick around here for at least the next 4 to 5 years whether we like him or not.

Agreed, and the good news is he's already shown tons more competence than Williams/Mularkey/Jauron ever have or will. Add in the move to bring in Wanny for the Defensive side, and this should be a coaching staff that sticks around for a while. As long as we can keep them here, that is.

I'm pretty sure he's been given a 3 year guarantee of sorts, so as long as things start moving in the right direction, he should be the man for a few years to come.

That being said, the Bills got worse over this last year, if he continues that trend, I don't know if I want him around. I like his style, his honesty, etc... but the team needs to win more close games. (and more games in general, heh)

You know, the record was worse this year, and statistically, they were worse in some areas too...but, for whatever reason, I enjoyed watching them a lot more this year than I have in a few years...and I feel a lot more optimistic that they are finally doing some things right, than I have over the last 5 years. I was not a fan of the Gailey hire, but, I admitt, I like him so far. I saw improvement in areas that are meaingful. Yes, the defense was atrocious, but I get the feeling that this situation will improve next season.

If I have any disappointment with Gailey, it was that he and his staff gave some of the guys from the 2009 roster too much a benefit of a doubt. But, even there, given the budget restrictions that the Bills work with, I can give him a pass. He had to make sure of what he had, before wasting money...but I give him credit for not being afraid to act, once he has come to a conclusion.

Some games may have been more entertaining (mainly because we had a better QB who could make something from nothing). Many were not. His offense struggled to put points up (as they did before he arrive), especially in the second half of the season. Despite drafting Spiller, his ground game was limited to Fred pretty much. Our QB from Harvard was the seond leading rusher on this team.

If there isn't a significant improvement next year, what will we say?

Some games may have been more entertaining (mainly because we had a better QB who could make something from nothing). Many were not. His offense struggled to put points up (as they did before he arrive), especially in the second half of the season. Despite drafting Spiller, his ground game was limited to Fred pretty much. Our QB from Harvard was the seond leading rusher on this team.

Agreed, but it comes down to Buddy Nix. Buddy Nix must make great strides in bringing in talent in order to get this team somewhere. I don't think it's Chan or the coaches. It's not having the players. That rests solely on Nix. He's the GM in charge of Football. He's on the clock. I point my finger at him.

If we have a repeat of last offseason, bringing in middling FA and non Impact draft choices, then its his head that should role right out of OBD...

Edited by mattsox

The more exposure I get of Chan Gailey with respect to his ability to coach QBs and strategize offensively, The more impressed i get with him as a coach. Does that mean i am certain he will guide the team to a world championship because of his abilities? Probably not, but it won't be due to his abilities as a coach. You can only do so much with the talent given, and unless this team gets really good and really deep in a lot of areas, it's not going to happen any time soon. But I do believe the team has a great head coach in him, and would love to see him here long enough to accomplish the quest of a title. I was one who wanted Shanny, didn't really think Bill Cowher was the answer, but had to clue Chan was even an option, and was very unsure of the hire. At best he seemed like a stop-gap for the next 3 years until we underwent another rebuilding. He really seems to know the game well, and I truly respect his opinion of upcoming college players. I never had that type of confidence in any other Bills head coach, and that's saying something, I have been around a while now, and seen quite a few of them.

I would even go so far to say that if he were a coach on the Jests squad, there is no doubt Mark Sanchez would be much better than he is today. This is one case where the Bills went off the radar and got someone not many teams were considering, and actually scored. Now that the front office has added a well respected coach in Dave Wannstedt, it's time for Buddy Nix to infuse this team with talent and make WNY forget all about 1-5(SB Record) Bill Polian. Yes I love the guy, and yes his teams win a ton of games, which I would not be unhappy about, but he's gone, never to return, so it's now time to quit whining about it, and move on. It's funny how other teams can do it without Bill Polian as GM.

But to summarize, this team may be sitting on one of the next great head coaches in Bills history, and deliver what WNY has always pined for. Now if our crotchety owner would just go ahead and Will the team to Jim Kelly, Buffalo would be all set and able to dream long term again.

Buddy - Daft well, keep the talent rolling in, and spend Ralph's money, he has plenty.

Ralph - sell the team to Jim Kelly, I am sure he'll keep you on as an executive, and give you the best luxury box in the stadium, plus all the Mighty Taco you can eat for life, and maybe a new tennis racket.

Jim - Get your ass in gear and pile up the investors now.

NY State government - Give WNY a break, you're bleeding it dry, I want to move back home already!

Go Bills.

Good luck with that moving back thing. :cry:

We are ok at the skill positions for now. We really need better tackles if we want to run the ball consistently.

For as long I have been wathcing football there has been one constant. Good teams run the ball, even when the other team knows they are going to.

Depends how they fail. I felt that the offense was actually competently coached (for the first time in years), but faltered down the stretch due to lack of talent. If it's the same situation next year, I look at Nix before I blame Gailey. Now defensively, with Wannstedt on board to help Edwards (plus - hopefully - some real investment through the draft and FA), there had better be some real improvement, or both Nix and Gailey should feel the heat.

We are ok at the skill positions for now. We really need better tackles if we want to run the ball consistently.

For as long I have been wathcing football there has been one constant. Good teams run the ball, even when the other team knows they are going to.

Depends how they fail. I felt that the offense was actually competently coached (for the first time in years), but faltered down the stretch due to lack of talent. If it's the same situation next year, I look at Nix before I blame Gailey. Now defensively, with Wannstedt on board to help Edwards (plus - hopefully - some real investment through the draft and FA), there had better be some real improvement, or both Nix and Gailey should feel the heat.

Opinions seem to differ regarding the talent on offense, but I think we had more talent offensively this year than last. However, the offensive output was no better. That goes against what most predicted and points towards the coaching of the offense to a large degree.

Yes you are. (A homer)

The team got worse.

Their offense was still statistically worse than their defense, somehow. They still can't score. They still can't run. They still can't stop the run. Their draft picks still can't sniff the field. Their new GM wasted last years draft.

But this year, that's when we are really going to turn it around.

Boy, I wish you were right. Offseason is the time to recharge and find the optimism. Just hard when your offseason starts week 4 every year.