The Real State of the Union 2011 - Top Ten List

1) I want to "redouble" what the stimulus did... but simultaneously freeze spending.

2) I'm now totally *against* earmarks, after I was totally *for* earmarks.

3) Let me be clear. I'm willing to enact tort reform during my speeches, but unwilling to enact tort reform when it comes to actually enacting tort reform.

4) We must do what the Fiscal Commission proposed to reduce the deficit...... by not doing anything like what the Fiscal Commission proposed to reduce the deficit. Thank you to the members of this valuable group for sharing this plan --- that nobody read, no one wants to hear about, and which only potentially-suicidal politicians would want to follow --- at a few million dollars of taxpayer cost.

5) Social Security: 'Reduce benefits? No. Increase retirement age? No. Well... I'm sh-- out of ideas!'

6) Iran hasn't responded to sanctions, but my peeps in the White House told the NYT they sure as heck responded to the Stuxnet virus. Oh... wait, did I say that!? *AHEM* Let me be clear, that totally wasn't us! But still, I apologize on behalf of the American people. I don't know why I'm apologizing, but it usually makes me feel better. Quick... someone cue McCain for a cover version of "Bomb-bomb-bomb, bomb-bomb Iran (2008)."

‎7) Don't fear India and China --- they're partners for American innovation! When they steal our designs, infringe on our patents or reverse engineer our products and make them cheaper, people around the world will *still* buy American... because... it's... wait.... Are you sure about this, TelePrompTer? OK... if you say so!

8) Let me be clear. Jobs *will* come back to Main Street. When companies can't buy any more machines that do the work of five people --- without payroll tax, no Social Security tax, no HR costs, no health care coverage mandate.... Scratch that. Let me clear. Jobs will *not* be coming back to Main Street, at least as long as I'm president around here!

9) Everybody gets a car! Everybody gets a car! Everybody gets a car!

10) I'm not recommending for every future president that they take a shellacking like I'm going to in 2012.

Edited by UConn James

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1) I want to "redouble" what the stimulus did... but simultaneously freeze spending.

2) I'm now totally *against* earmarks, after I was totally *for* earmarks.

3) Let me be clear. I'm willing to enact tort reform during my speeches, but unwilling to enact tort reform when it comes to actually enacting tort reform.

4) We must do what the Fiscal Commission proposed to reduce the deficit...... by not doing anything like what the Fiscal Commission proposed to reduce the deficit. Thank you to the members of this valuable group for sharing this plan --- that nobody read, no one wants to hear about, and which only potentially-suicidal politicians would want to follow --- at a few million dollars of taxpayer cost.

5) Social Security: 'Reduce benefits? No. Increase retirement age? No. Well... I'm sh-- out of ideas!'

6) Iran hasn't responded to sanctions, but my peeps in the White House told the NYT they sure as heck responded to the Stuxnet virus. Oh... wait, did I say that!? *AHEM* Let me be clear, that totally wasn't us! But still, I apologize on behalf of the American people. I don't know why I'm apologizing, but it usually makes me feel better. Quick... someone cue McCain for a cover version of "Bomb-bomb-bomb, bomb-bomb Iran (2008)."

‎7) Don't fear India and China --- they're partners for American innovation! When they steal our designs, infringe on our patents or reverse engineer our products and make them cheaper, people around the world will *still* buy American... because... it's... wait.... Are you sure about this, TelePrompTer? OK... if you say so!

8) Let me be clear. Jobs *will* come back to Main Street. When companies can't buy any more machines that do the work of five people --- without payroll tax, no Social Security tax, no HR costs, no health care coverage mandate.... Scratch that. Let me clear. Jobs will *not* be coming back to Main Street, at least as long as I'm president around here!

9) Everybody gets a car! Everybody gets a car! Everybody gets a car!

10) I'm not recommending for every future president that they take a shellacking like I'm going to in 2012.

I didn't hear him say anything about "fearing" India and China... more less saying let's focus on our future. Educate, innovate and move this country forward.

Also, I find it funny you mentioning Earmarks. Do you say that about Republicans as well? After all they have said countless times they will not agree to anything with earmarks within. Yet, they have pushed Bills forward loaded with earmarks added by Republicans.

I love the bashing of the President yet, no mention how the other side has no real ideas on how to fix the economy or job growth. Did you watch Michelle Bachman and her teleprompter? Now that was funny.

yup. she's hysterical....and she'd be funny too if she wasn't so chillingly scary.

hahaha... she is what I would expect a drunk, out of control aunt to be like. Dear lord, don't put her in front of a camera after she relived her prom night (what was with the heavy make-up, etc. yikes!!)

Arguing about it is rather pointless in light of the fact that the State of the Union address has changed over the past 20 years into nothing more than a glorified, officially sanctioned campaign speech.

And I'd like to thank all of you in this thread for so amply demonstrating that. Morons.

Arguing about it is rather pointless in light of the fact that the State of the Union address has changed over the past 20 years into nothing more than a glorified, officially sanctioned campaign speech.

And I'd like to thank all of you in this thread for so amply demonstrating that. Morons.

And thank you for adding to this thread... moron. :thumbsup:

Did you watch Michelle Bachman and her teleprompter? Now that was funny.

You know it was a brutally embarrassing SOTU address when the progressive plan to discuss it is to make fun of a person who released a Youtube video response. :lol:

Meanwhile, the guy who, y'know, is in charge of the most powerful country in the world -- a person whose strength is his ability to speak -- took to the biggest stage he gets, and crapped purple Twinkies for everyone. It wasn't even a good campaign speech.

We must freeze discretionary spending for five years, and you can't say I'm not serious about this because that's two years more than when I promised a spending freeze at my last SOTU! Plus, we must spend to grow, but we must stop spending. We must spend to educate, but we must stop spending. We mut heed the advice of my Deficit Commission, but do nothing about it.

But hey! Look at the crazy chick on YouTube! She's a "chillingly scary," "drunk," "out-of-control aunt"!!

Way to represent, progressives.

You know it was a brutally embarrassing SOTU address when the progressive plan to discuss it is to make fun of a person who released a Youtube video response. :lol:

Meanwhile, the guy who, y'know, is in charge of the most powerful country in the world -- a person whose strength is his ability to speak -- took to the biggest stage he gets, and crapped purple Twinkies for everyone. It wasn't even a good campaign speech.

We must freeze discretionary spending for five years, and you can't say I'm not serious about this because that's two years more than when I promised a spending freeze at my last SOTU! Plus, we must spend to grow, but we must stop spending. We must spend to educate, but we must stop spending. We mut heed the advice of my Deficit Commission, but do nothing about it.

But hey! Look at the crazy chick on YouTube! She's a "chillingly scary," "drunk," "out-of-control aunt"!!

Way to represent, progressives.

The Progressive Plan? Come on... you have to admit that Michelle was clearly attempting to showboat and did not do very well. Sad on all levels. I guess you like her and think she was great. If I was a Republican I would be embarrassed by her.

The Progressive Plan? Come on... you have to admit that Michelle was clearly attempting to showboat and did not do very well. Sad on all levels. I guess you like her and think she was great. If I was a Republican I would be embarrassed by her.

the wise ones are

did fox get bought out by youtube? hooray!

If you have nothing good to say about the person in charge, you look particularly silly making fun of the person who is not. You should probably quit while you're ahead.

If you have nothing good to say about the person in charge, you look particularly silly making fun of the person who is not. You should probably quit while you're ahead.

My take from last night...

I thought the SOTU was good. I don't like the complaints from people saying that he should have explained things in greater detail.. I understand why they would want to see the details but to have them all listed in the SOTU... not the right place, not enough time. I wish he would have said more about China, maybe the trade deficit and how he would like to fix it. I like the emphasis on education and innovation. Very true and let's hope something comes of it.

Obummer... you know that no matter what he says, what he does you will never agree with anything.

I see with those fact checks is that for every negative one, there is a positive one or rather one will a difference in opinion... take them all with a grain of salt and hope that our elected officials will do the right thing and work together to keep things moving in the right direction.

Obummer... you know that no matter what he says, what he does you will never agree with anything.

I see with those fact checks is that for every negative one, there is a positive one or rather one will a difference in opinion... take them all with a grain of salt and hope that our elected officials will do the right thing and work together to keep things moving in the right direction.

What is moving in the right direction?

Yeah it is amazing that you expect everything to be fixed all at once. Fact of the matter is that the economy is getting stronger... obviously there is a ton if work to be done. Jobs being #1.

Show me those facts please.

Show me those facts please.

It's a given that companies all across the board are doing better than they have for the past few years... hell some would say past 6 years. You don't see that?

Show me the facts that state are country is still going down and that NO progress has been made.

Edited by pBills

I thought the SOTU was good. I don't like the complaints from people saying that he should have explained things in greater detail.

That's a stupid complaint. Explain everything in an hour's address to Congress?

I like the emphasis on education and innovation. Very true and let's hope something comes of it.

After all these years, how much do you actually trust statements like that to be more than empty rhetoric?

Yeah it is amazing that you expect everything to be fixed all at once. Fact of the matter is that the economy is getting stronger... obviously there is a ton if work to be done. Jobs being #1.

And the government, as usual, has ****-all to do with it. Pent-up consumer demand from the past three years finally being released.

It's a given that companies all across the board are doing better than they have for the past few years... hell some would say past 6 years. You don't see that?

Show me the facts that state are country is still going down and that NO progress has been made.

Show US the facts that "its a given that companies all across the board are doing better than they have for the past few years... hell some would say past 6 years."