Drafting a DT at #3

It all starts up front. With the exception of Kyle Williams, we were run on at will. The defensive line causes disruption/ occupies blockers. When this works, the LB's are freed to make plays. When the defensive front is not very good, you get run on at will.

What LB's? Even if we had an all-pro combination on the line, I personally don't think it would make a difference. Our line, when I watched them, for the most part did their job in occupying blockers and causing disruption. Dwan Edwards was solid, IMO. Sure, he didn't have big tackle or sack numbers, but that's not necessary in a 3-4.

Our problem was that our LB's were pitiful, and couldn't control their gaps and run responsibility. It's all on the LB's, because those are the guys that have to make the plays in our scheme.

I'm not saying we SHOULDN'T draft a D-Lineman to play end, but I wouldn't count it as our biggest need. We need men to play both ILB and OLB.

No real franchise QBs in this draft. The DTs would be ends for us except Bowers who we should avoid at all costs. Dareus is the real deal and would a huge upgrade on our line.

Our Dream line looks like this:

DE Kyle Williams

NT Paul Soliai (FA)

DE Marcell Dareus :thumbsup:

agreed...get Luck next year with the #1 overall pick (hehe).....

you need 3 DT who are studs....two will play the ends...btw, Haloti Ngata now plays end for Baltimore.

the bills have 1 stud DT (Kyle Williams)....everyone else on D'line roster is "ok" at best.

Williams, Carrington, and Troupe are the only players that are worth keeping on our DLine.

Stroud, Johnson, Edwards, and McCargo (the remaining DL on the roster) all need to be replaced.

If we can add a Fairley or Dareus to the mix I'd feel much better about it. Maybe add one of them, and then keep Stroud(?) so our DL roster looks like:

Williams

Carrington

Troupe

Stroud

Dareus

Johnson(?)

That's still only 5 (maybe 6) guys rotating through 3 or 4 spots. Definitely need to add quality Dlinemen to the team.

Hey guys, most of the mock drafts I am seeing have us taking one of the two big defensive tackles at #3. Is it me or would that seem kind of crazy? Isnt DT the only position on the team that we are decent at? We took Troupe in the 2nd last year, and havent really taken the time to develop him yet. Kyle Williams has emerged as a star this year as well. What do you guys think? If we run the 3-4 a lot next year would it make sense to try and play KW at defensive end? I know they are only mocks, but this is really confusing me. If I had it my way, I would draft the franchise QB once and for all, but I must say it wouldnt be a Bills draft without a bit of shock involed

And who is the franchise QB you see in this draft?

I've been a little confused about this also. In the 3-4, I think Williams is best as a DE. In the 4-3, I think Troup is good enough to line up next to Williams and be effective for the middle. Carrington looked for real, and should be better this year at DE. Edwards should be counted on as a rotational player. I think what we really lack, glaringly, in a 3-4 is a true NT - like the Phil Taylor, who is in the Senior Bowl, and who is projected in the 2-3 rounds.

So, that would make our line look like: K.Williams, Phil Taylor/Troupe, Carrington/Edwards for the 3-4.

Now, I could see us taking Dareus in the first, and Taylor in the second, and we'd have K.Williams, Phil Taylor, and Dareus as our 3-4 starting line - with Carringot, Troupe, and Edwards as our back-ups. Now, that would really give us the deepest line in the NFL, I'd say.

But, I'd have to agree with other posters - we do already seem to have 3 legitimate starters at DE, and only Troupe as a legitimate? starter for the true NT position. I think in terms of must, we must get bigger at NT before we do anything else on the line, at least priority wise. There just isn't a D-lineman of the NT size/type ranked before the 2nd round this year.

Williams, Carrington, and Troupe are the only players that are worth keeping on our DLine.

Stroud, Johnson, Edwards, and McCargo (the remaining DL on the roster) all need to be replaced.

If we can add a Fairley or Dareus to the mix I'd feel much better about it. Maybe add one of them, and then keep Stroud(?) so our DL roster looks like:

Williams

Carrington

Troupe

Stroud

Dareus

Johnson(?)

That's still only 5 (maybe 6) guys rotating through 3 or 4 spots. Definitely need to add quality Dlinemen to the team.

Don't want to piss in your morning coffee, but Edwards is probably a lock to start at one of the DE positions. He was our big FA signing, and while not great, did nothing to deserve to get cut.

Don't want to piss in your morning coffee, but Edwards is probably a lock to start at one of the DE positions. He was our big FA signing, and while not great, did nothing to deserve to get cut.

Good catch. I accidentally left Edwards off my list because I was looking back at the Bills roster and he is not listed due to being on IR and forgot that I even mentioned him. While I think he needs to be replaced eventually, he can stay around for another season or two.

I'd rather have him than Johnson, so my list looks like:

Williams

Carrington

Troupe

Stroud

Edwards

Dareus/Fairley

That's still only 5 viable starters before the draft. And Stroud is on his last leg.

Edited by DrDankenstein

What LB's? Even if we had an all-pro combination on the line, I personally don't think it would make a difference. Our line, when I watched them, for the most part did their job in occupying blockers and causing disruption. Dwan Edwards was solid, IMO. Sure, he didn't have big tackle or sack numbers, but that's not necessary in a 3-4.

Our problem was that our LB's were pitiful, and couldn't control their gaps and run responsibility. It's all on the LB's, because those are the guys that have to make the plays in our scheme.

I'm not saying we SHOULDN'T draft a D-Lineman to play end, but I wouldn't count it as our biggest need. We need men to play both ILB and OLB.

You are correct mr chums. Does anyone know who the front 3 is for Pitt without a search? I'm sure most of us know who their LBs are. Carrington, Troup and Edwards will be equal to what Pitt has up front. The Bills maybe have 1-2 LBs necessary to play the 3-4 and stop the run. They desparately need 2 playmakers at LB in this draft, one inside and one out.

No real franchise QBs in this draft. The DTs would be ends for us except Bowers who we should avoid at all costs. Dareus is the real deal and would a huge upgrade on our line.

Our Dream line looks like this:

DE Kyle Williams

NT Paul Soliai (FA)

DE Marcell Dareus :thumbsup:

I don't see that happening at all. We burned high picks on Troup and Carrington. Troup will play NT, KW at DE and Darius as a 5 technique with Carrington in for plenty of snaps and in a four man front. The FA focus will and should be on LB's. Soliai is a luxury. Get me David Harris instead.

Good catch. I accidentally left Edwards off my list because I was looking back at the Bills roster and he is not listed due to being on IR and forgot that I even mentioned him. While I think he needs to be replaced eventually, he can stay around for another season or two.

I'd rather have him than Johnson, so my list looks like:

Williams

Carrington

Troupe

Stroud

Edwards

Dareus/Fairley

That's still only 5 viable starters before the draft. And Stroud is on his last leg.

Sounds about right. Seeing what will happen w/ Stroud will be a major storyline come training-camp I think.

I've been a little confused about this also. In the 3-4, I think Williams is best as a DE. In the 4-3, I think Troup is good enough to line up next to Williams and be effective for the middle. Carrington looked for real, and should be better this year at DE. Edwards should be counted on as a rotational player. I think what we really lack, glaringly, in a 3-4 is a true NT - like the Phil Taylor, who is in the Senior Bowl, and who is projected in the 2-3 rounds.

So, that would make our line look like: K.Williams, Phil Taylor/Troupe, Carrington/Edwards for the 3-4.

Now, I could see us taking Dareus in the first, and Taylor in the second, and we'd have K.Williams, Phil Taylor, and Dareus as our 3-4 starting line - with Carringot, Troupe, and Edwards as our back-ups. Now, that would really give us the deepest line in the NFL, I'd say.

But, I'd have to agree with other posters - we do already seem to have 3 legitimate starters at DE, and only Troupe as a legitimate? starter for the true NT position. I think in terms of must, we must get bigger at NT before we do anything else on the line, at least priority wise. There just isn't a D-lineman of the NT size/type ranked before the 2nd round this year.

The deepest DL and the worst LBs by far. By FAR!

I am certainly not ready to give up on Troup as a NT quite yet. First of all we drafted this guy very high, and besides Suh, I havent seen a defensive tackle develop quickly in years (ngata but plays on great defense). I believe Troup MUST be our key guy on defense next year. He was brought in to finally fill that gapping hole in our run defense since Ted, Pat, and Sam left. From what I saw out of him in college (i live in tampa), and the word around this area, is that this guy has all the makings of a STAR nose tackle. Lets everyone remember that Gailey likes to develop rookies VERY SLOWLY, and I believe he has big plans for Troup still. I firmly believe we draft the franchise QB this season. This is a very good class of QBs, and all year long all the insiders were talking about the pro talent these players had. All of a sudden in the last month all the QBs have dropped. How did this happen?? Newton went on to a BCS title, Locker led a horrible team past Nebraska, Ryan Mallett played a fantastic game vs OSU, and Blaine Gabbert is the guy you hear least about, but is considered a top 5 talent. There is absolutely none of us that would be correct in assuming that none of these guys are franchise QB talent. A franchise QB comes out of the draft virtually every year, so I am certainly not going to believe we cant find one out of all these highly decorated players. After the senior bowl, and combine it will work itself out and there will be a clear #1 QB on the market