Could Tommie Harris Play DE in a 3-4?

H2o

Tommie Harris has been an excellent player for the Bears and is likely to end up somewhere else next season. He's been a DT in the 3-4 his whole career of course, but he may be worth a shot. What do you guys think?

Tommie Harris has been an excellent player for the Bears and is likely to end up somewhere else next season. He's been a DT in the 3-4 his whole career of course, but he may be worth a shot. What do you guys think?

I am not sure if he is a free agent but if he is, he is definitely worth a shot. I know he has had a down year, but I think it because of injuries. When he is healthy, he really is a good player.

Tommie Harris was an excellent player for the bears, he's more or less fallen out of favor in chicago. He had lost his job and his only sack came in wk 17 against gb. He played well vs Seattle, but he's been inactive for several games, and most bears fans I know want him gone and/or replaced

Tommie Harris was an excellent player for the bears, he's more or less fallen out of favor in chicago. He had lost his job and his only sack came in wk 17 against gb. He played well vs Seattle, but he's been inactive for several games, and most bears fans I know want him gone and/or replaced

Harris was a quick penetrating DT in the mold of Warren Sapp (Not as great as Sapp in his prime but was a dam good player). He is built for the Tampa 2 system as a DT. Can he be a 3-4 DE well his is big enough at about 285 and fast enough but I am just not sure the guy can be a good enough run stuffer.

Seems like the Bills would be trying to fit a square peg in a round hole if they picked up this guy.

I believe that Tommie Harris is strictly a 3-technique in a 4-3. This doesn't necessarily translate well on the field. The Raiders once tried to convert Warren Sapp from a 3-technique in a 4-3 to a 5-technique in a 3-4... with "eh" results. This is pretty much the same thing we tried to do with Marcus Stroud (we've gotten debatable results here).

So no - I wouldn't want to risk bringing in Tommie Harris.

honestly, at this point, id like to try and assemble guys that are either switching at a young age, or someone that is experienced already. im tired of trying to outsmart the league and rehab guys careers by switching their positions. i also worry that the reason he was benched and fell out of favor was because he was ignoring his assignments when he was in.

Since it appears that the Bills are going to play both a 4-3 and a 3-4, I don't see why they wouldn't consider bringing him in at the right price. He might help in the pass rush if nothing else. I wouldn't pay that much for him though.

My sense that the Bills are relatively strong at 1-gap guys, but very short on 2-gap defenders. Troup and Carrington are developing in that mode, at least, but they're not quite ready yet. Adding a 1-gap guy like Harris is spinning our wheels. At this point, it's probably unfair to expect any more out of him than out of Dwan Edwards.

My sense that the Bills are relatively strong at 1-gap guys, but very short on 2-gap defenders. Troup and Carrington are developing in that mode, at least, but they're not quite ready yet. Adding a 1-gap guy like Harris is spinning our wheels. At this point, it's probably unfair to expect any more out of him than out of Dwan Edwards.

I keep on reading people ripping on Dwan Edwards - was he truly that bad this season? Sure, he didn't get sacks, but his responsibility as a 5-technique 2-gap end doesn't get him stats.

Wilfork is about 50 lbs heavier than Harris Ditka, where the hell did you draw that conclusion? :doh: By the way, once teams started running all over the Pats (including the Bills) while Wilfork was lined up at LE, they quickly put him right back at the nose. The only way I'd want Harris here is if we were gonna play 4-3 most of the time, and that's if he hasn't burnt out yet.