CBA Negotiations - What Do You Think ??

T master

After listening to some players over this past season on the development of this fight over the CBA i have made up my own opinion on some of the subjects , of coarse i don't know what all is being discussed in these meetings , i don't know that any one but those involved do .

My thought on what subjects that i know a LITTLE about are . The 18 game season is a greed filled move by the owners IMHO (as if they don't make enough money already) . The proof is JJ in Dallas with the stupid move of tearing down a perfectly good stadium (Texas Stadium) just to show everybody just how big an ego this maniac has (he will be one of the ruining factors of the NFL) The proof being the last CBA vote !!

18 games will do nothing but add more injuries per season , shorten players careers , & cheapen the game that we all love to watch by the need to bring in sub par players to fill the gaps that will be caused by more injuries because of the longer season .

Not to mention that i've heard comments made by coaches that the amount of time to evaluate new players & rookies will be cut short by cutting down preseason games which will be deterrent to figuring out what you have as far as young talent for that particular season !!

(deep breath Here)

IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT !!!!! :wallbash: :wallbash:

The rookie salary cap i think is a great move !! What other job do you know of where your first year in you make double or triple the amount of some one that is a proven part of the team what ever the business is ??

I for one think one thing that should be brought into these negotiations is performance based contracts along with this rookie salary cap thing !! Instead of putting out a contract that has guaranteed monies (unless the player is PROVEN like Brady or Manning)

In it the owners should have performance clauses in every contract - if you perform over this amount you get paid more if you don't you get a base amount . This i think would motivate more players to do better . Unlike Albert Haynesworth !!!! This would definitely be harder to figure out the cap of each team but MAY be a way to get more bang for your buck .

Well i know a lot of what i think you all being the Bills fans that i've been posting with for a while now will tear to shreds probably most of what i have put down , but i have learned that if your a true Bills fan you need to realize ridicule is all part of being a part of this fandum thing so release the hounds !!!

Well, there are other things about the CBA that are really the problem. The main issue being how much the players get paid. The owners are saying the players get too much of the pie... so they want to pay the players less. So the players don't like that, so to make the players happy, instead of giving them more of the pie, they are saying they want to make the pie bigger and they can all get their money.

Of course, the players would rather get the money without the 18 game season.... but if there is an 18 game season, it will be because of greed on both sides.

I personally don't care how much money either side makes. It is more than i make and more than enough to live a healthy life. I don't care what their paychecks look like, I just want an undisturbed football season.

I've read that the 18 game schedule is just a bargining chip by the owners. They will gladly give that up in exhcange for reduction in the % money given to the players. So will see what happens there.

You are right. This is what will happen.

The owners will "cave" on 18 games to force the players into a lower cut of total revenue. Everyone shakes hands.

As to the OP, Texas stadium was ancient. Also, the Giants/Jets blew up a "perfectly good" stadium also. Was that because of "ego"? Come on!

Also, the vast majority of NFL careers are "cut short" not by injury, but becuase the player sucks and is cut. Good and great players play for years and years, but the "average length of an NFL career" is completely diluted by the huge number of players who simply pass through the league for a year or two. Every team cuts about 30 guys every year, before the first snap of game one.

The players know this and so do the owners. It is a meaningless, though often repeated piece of information.

The problem dates back to 2007 when Tagliabu jammed the agreement down the owners' throats so that he could vacate the Commissioner position claiming to have orchestrated labor peace. Ralph and Mike Brown were the only owners smart enough (and ballsy enough) to cry BS. That agreement guaranteed the players over 60% of TOTAL revenue. For bigger market teams like the Cowboys and Redskins that didn't matter too much, since their % of the overall pie was significantly larger than the smaller market teams, like Buffalo. Thus, from the owners' standpoint, the existing CBA is broke. The players would love nothing better than to continue to play under the existing agreement. Things like extending the season to 18 games, imposing a hard rookie cap, extending roster sizes, etc are just window dressing.

The biggest issue to be resolved is not even one between the union and the players

It is the revenue sharing between large market, high revenue producing teams and the small market- low revenue parasitic tyoe teams (like the Bills and Bengals) which is the real issue which needs to resolved before the owners can settle with players.

The big market owners take issue with owners like Ralph who cries the blues but puts the revenue sharing dollars in his pocket without any improvement to the product on the field.

Regarding the 18 game season, there was similar speculation when the league expanded from 14 to 16 regular season games while going from 6 down to 4 pre-season games. My question is were the concerns over increased injury valid? Was there a corresponding spike in the number of injuries or not?

GO BILLS!!!