Senior Bowl rosters have lots of big names to Bills' fans

1B4IDie

This year in particular I'm glad that the Bills coaching staff is involved in the Senior Bowl.

Good news is the Bills coaching staff gets to work with Von Miller and DeMarcus Love all this week and can only help better scout these players.

If Love falls to the second the Bills might get lucky.

All the players are obviously great college football players but of Particular interest is:

81 Acho, Sam DL 6-1 3/4 / 257 Texas *

57 Bailey, Allen DL 6-3 1/4 / 278 Miami

85 Dial, Preston TE 6-2 1/8 / 238 Alabama

66 Kirkpatrick, Jake OL 6-2 1/4 / 301 TCU

65 Love, DeMarcus OL 6-4 5/8 / 318 Arkansas *

40 Miller, Von LB 6-2 5/8 / 237 Texas A&M

7 Ponder, Christian QB 6-2 1/8 / 222 Florida State

79 Sherrod, Derek OL 6-5 5/8 / 312 Mississippi State *

88 Stocker, Luke TE 6-4 7/8 / 255 Tennessee

98 Taylor, Phil DL 6-3 1/2 / 337 Baylor *

45 Williams, D.J. TE 6-1 7/8 / 236 Arkansas

They also get to line up against

45 Beal, Jeremy DL 6-3 / 267 Oklahoma *

68 Carimi, Gabe OL 6-7 / 327 Wisconsin

21 Carmichael, Rashad DB 5-11 / 186 Virginia Tech *

74 Castonzo, Anthony OL 6-7 / 308 Boston College

40 Foster, Mason LB 6-2 / 242 Washington *

20 Helu Jr., Roy RB 6-0 / 220 Nebraska

44 Herzlich, Mark LB 6-4 / 244 Boston College

53 Jones, Greg LB 6-1 / 240 Michigan State

10 Kaepernick, Colin QB 6-6 / 225 Nevada

84 Kendricks, Lance TE 6-4 / 241 Wisconsin

91 Kerrigan, Ryan DL 6-4 / 263 Purdue

48 Marecic, Owen RB 6-1 / 244 Stanford

55 Matthews, Casey LB 6-2 / 235 Oregon

70 Moffitt, John OL 6-5 / 323 Wisconsin * :thumbsup:

54 Paea, Stephen DL 6-1 / 311 Oregon State

71 Pinkston, Jason OL 6-4 / 305 Pittsburgh

78 Solder, Nate OL 6-9 / 315 Colorado

12 Stanzi, Ricky QB 6-4 / 230 Iowa

I hope Nix and company get to give these kids some extra interviews or atleast prep their coaching staff and what to look for when and give feed back to the coaching staff.

The Bills have no excuse for a poor 2011 draft class they get to be up close and personal with some of the best prospects in the 2011 draft.

In particular Von Miller looks too small to me to play OLB in the NFL, the good news is our coaching staff gets to see him first hand and give their feedback.

*indicates WSS endorsed player

Edited by Why So Serious?

This year in particular I'm glad that the Bills coaching staff is involved in the Senior Bowl.

Good news is the Bills coaching staff gets to work with Von Miller and DeMarcus Love all this week and can only help better scout these players.

All the players are obviously great college football players but of Particular interest is:

I hope Nix and company get to give these kids some extra interviews or atleast prep their coaching staff and what to look for when and give feed back to the coaching staff.

The Bills have no excuse for a poor 2011 draft class they get to be up close and personal with some of the best prospects in the 2011 draft.

In particular Von Miller looks too small to me to play OLB in the NFL, the good news is our coaching staff gets to see him first hand and give their feedback.

Looks like all of the LT/RT talent is on the opposition. This will be a good test for Miller. As far as his weight, 240lb I believe, I think he looks fine. Like I've posted before, he wears those stupid corner-back pads that make him look a lot smaller then he is.

Looks like all of the LT/RT talent is on the opposition. This will be a good test for Miller. As far as his weight, 240lb I believe, I think he looks fine. Like I've posted before, he wears those stupid corner-back pads that make him look a lot smaller then he is.

He is listed at 237. He can be a weakside OLB def not a RushBacker. Which is the only type of LB you're going to draft at #3. There are a million similar weakside OLB in the draft even with that supposed speed an NFL 8:00:23 PM could 1 arm scoop slam him.

Reading some of the news reports coming out of the Senior Bowl, there seems to be a few names we should focus on. I personally put a lot into the senior bowl (practices more so than the actual game) because it puts everyone on a level playing field.

-The DE Cameron Jordan from Cal is stealing the show Every report I have read is calling him unblockable at DE and DT and saying he is the perfect 5 tech. I never saw any Cal games but his name has always been in the 1st round in mocks and such. BJ Raji dominated the Sr bowl 2 years ago and went in the top 10. This is a guy we may see off the board at #3, or could be a great trade down option.

-The other DLman is Ballard from Iowa, who was routinely overshadowed by Clayborne during his career. Multiple articles say if it werent for Jordan all the rave would be over this guy. I doubt he plays his way into the 1st but hopefully he lasts till our 3rd. I have always thought he could be a great 3 or 5 tech

-Carimi has been great at LT and LG (Im not surprised they are trying him inside, I have said before I could see him projecting there in the NFL) the reports say he has been a mauler in the run game. I doubt he lasts till 34 but could be an option in a trade back scenario.

- The OT Brewster from Indiana got all the accolades on day 1 but I didnt see anything about him on day two. Reports had him as the best T for that day and he measured in as a monster - 66 35 arms, and 323#s was the heaviest of the OLman. He got rave reviews and may be a late 1st rounder (or a great RT at #34!)

-Lee Smith, a tight end from Marshall, is a powerful blocker. Smith ran over a series of linebackers in drills. According to Senior Bowl measurements, Smith is 6 feet 6 and 269 pounds. I like

- Casey Mathews has gotten rave reviews, always going 100 mph and just flying past blockers and reading plays very quickly it was also reported he met extensively with the Patsies. We should try to land this kid he is just a great football player.

- Mark Herzlich is a guy I like who I read is a massive body who moves well and that was it. Hopefully he doesnt play himself into too high a pick so we can land him in the 4th.

Guys I dont like who I havent heard anything good about:

-Sherrod has been described as tight in the hips and not performing too well. He may be a G prospect at the end of the week.

-Costanza has had mixed reviews which surprises me bc that means he got some good reviews. I havent seen this guy play a good game once. He got owned by sub-par talent on Nevada (he barely faced Moch, Im talking about the rest of the Nevada roster)

-Von Miller weighed in at only 237, I think this guy is going to be a big stink in the NFL just like Maybin they are twins in build and how they play. Worst of all a friend of mine said the Bills are really high on him… those idiots would be.

-Locker looks like poop, cant complete passes or go through reads, just like he couldnt his entire college career. Man that Todd McTan is an utter maroon.

Edited by Thoner7

-Locker looks like poop, cant complete passes or go through reads, just like he couldn’t his entire college career. Man that Todd McTan is an utter maroon.

I agree with you. It doesn't matter how exceptional your "tools" are or that your "intangibles" are off the charts, if you are not an accurate passer in college you will not make it in the pros. If your accuracy level is below average in college then it is improbable that it will improve in the pro ranks where the speed of the game is faster and the the spaces you have to throw in are tighter.

A lot of people constantly repeat that he should have come out last year when he had higher value. He may have gotten more money as a high draft pick but he still wouldn't have been successful as a pro due to his scatter arm. You either have a certain level of accuracy to begin with or you don't. He doesn't have it.

I agree with you. It doesn't matter how exceptional your "tools" are or that your "intangibles" are off the charts, if you are not an accurate passer in college you will not make it in the pros. If your accuracy level is below average in college then it is improbable that it will improve in the pro ranks where the speed of the game is faster and the the spaces you have to throw in are tighter.

A lot of people constantly repeat that he should have come out last year when he had higher value. He may have gotten more money as a high draft pick but he still wouldn't have been successful as a pro due to his scatter arm. You either have a certain level of accuracy to begin with or you don't. He doesn't have it.

McShay earlier noted that Locker hit all of his throws today with the exception of one. I agree that accuracy is not one of his strengths, but I'm interested to see his full scouting report come Saturday after the game.

McShay earlier noted that Locker hit all of his throws today with the exception of one. I agree that accuracy is not one of his strengths, but I'm interested to see his full scouting report come Saturday after the game.

I'm aware that his college team and the OL this year was below par, so that certainly was a factor in his inaccuracy. But I still find it a concern as a pro prospect. He seems to have all the necessary attributes except for the most critical one. It is like a brilliant neurosurgeon candidate who has mastered all the knowledge but has shakey hands. I have no qualms in recommending him to work on you, but he's not going to touch me.

The below link is Mike Mayock's present ranking of the top five players by their positions. In my view MM is one of the better scouts.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2011/01/25/mayock-releases-top-5-by-pos/

:thumbsup:

With the Bills coaching the South team these players have a high probability to be Bills draft picks in this years draft.

QB Christian Ponder, NFL ready, Chan Gailey qb who played in gailey style offense. 3rd or 4th round.

TE's Luke Stocker and DJ Williams, argueably best TE's in draft, and major Bills need. 3rd or 4th round.

OT Demarcus Love, major Bills need. 2nd round.

DE Cameron Jordan, on other team but Bills coaches will be watching this guy. 1st round.

OLB's Sam Ocho, Von Miller and KJ Wright, team needs pass rushers. 2nd thru 4th round.

ILB's Kelvin Sheppard, Nate Irving, Colin McCarthy and Chris White. 3-4 linebacker to stop the run. 3rd thru 5th round.

Possible picks

1. Cameron Jordan DE

2. Demarcus Love OT

3. Christian Ponder QB

4(a) Luke Stocker TE

4(b) KJ Wright OLB

5. Chris White ILB

Reading some of the news reports coming out of the Senior Bowl, there seems to be a few names we should focus on. I personally put a lot into the senior bowl (practices more so than the actual game) because it puts everyone on a level playing field.

<snip>

Great post! I'm also a bit concerned about Von Miller. The other day, Adam Schefter tweeted that he was hearing Von Miller as a top 5 pick. It sounded to me like he might have had a source with the Bills saying that they're in love with Miller. And it does kind of seem like a Bills-style pick. But if Nix's season wrap-up comments are to be believed, he thinks we're okay at OLB with Merriman in the fold, and wants to focus on ILB, plus he thinks we're too small at LB and need to get bigger. That would suggest he's not enamored of Von Miller. Great name, though.

I'm also very high on Casey Matthews. If his father and brother were/are that good, chances are he won't be a bust. And I know he's undersized, but he seems to fly around the field and make tremendous plays. I'd love to grab him, as long as it wasn't at #3 overall.

Chris Brown's reports from the practices make Baylor's Phil Taylor sound like BJ Raji. Anyone got a strong opinion on Taylor?

Great post! I'm also a bit concerned about Von Miller. The other day, Adam Schefter tweeted that he was hearing Von Miller as a top 5 pick. It sounded to me like he might have had a source with the Bills saying that they're in love with Miller. And it does kind of seem like a Bills-style pick. But if Nix's season wrap-up comments are to be believed, he thinks we're okay at OLB with Merriman in the fold, and wants to focus on ILB, plus he thinks we're too small at LB and need to get bigger. That would suggest he's not enamored of Von Miller. Great name, though.

I'm also very high on Casey Matthews. If his father and brother were/are that good, chances are he won't be a bust. And I know he's undersized, but he seems to fly around the field and make tremendous plays. I'd love to grab him, as long as it wasn't at #3 overall.

Chris Brown's reports from the practices make Baylor's Phil Taylor sound like BJ Raji. Anyone got a strong opinion on Taylor?

Why? From what I'm hearing about the kid, he seems lost. Can't cover people. Can't make plays. Can't seem to do anything right. If you're just enamored with his name, that's just not cutting it. I wouldnt mind him as a 6th round pick but nothing more.

Hankerson obviously made some huge $$$ he just want from late 2nd to early 3rs to late 1st early 2nd.

Phil Taylor was a manimal. He went from a 3rd day pick to 2nd day pick. Love that the Bills coaching staff got to work with him 1st hand.

Ponder solidifies the 2nd round grade.

McCarthy from Miami made some nice plays.

Von Miller made some nice plays but really not as many as the coverage over played. The "Highlight reel" looked suspect. Like I've been saying for awhile he will play ILB in the NFL. The Bills staff put him there. No way you take a WILL at #3 overall.

Locker can't hit the broadside of a barn.

Costanzo and Solder looked major suspect. Solder in particular made some poor plays. Its hard for an O-line to gel immediately though.

Jeremy Beal looks super quick. Weird thing was the 1st offside he got was called and I rewound it twice and it looked like he jumped after the Center snapped he was just super fast. The second one that wasn't call he was clearly offside but either way he figured out the snap count.

I liked what I saw.

Sam Acho (I guy have been big on for awhile now) had a big game, his speed and power were apparent, he got to the QB a few times.

I want to wait to adjust my board but I'm starting to lean towards Phil Taylor in the second if he is there. Then Beal or Acho in the 3rd whichever one is there. Would love a trade down to get an extra 2nd to get both Beal and Acho.

For an undermanned team Chan and gang did great. Edwards in particular must have done a great job on D. Seems like if you Chan was coaching the North, the North would have gotten the W too.

Edited by Why So Serious?

They had better draft better this year but love horrible he got owned all week in practice and was getting run over and around in this game. where There several times where he was holding and even had a face mask against Kerrigan, apparently the refs where letting it all go. Also in all the games I watched this year he didn't look good either so I hope we don't pick him.