Metal Fans, BIG NEWS!!

DrDawkinstein

Actually, I probably would be OK with no show. If you're going to do the U.S., do the U.S. - don't keep putting the fans on by hinting that you're going to tour and then not touring - they've been leading the fans on for months. I'd rather they came out and said something to the effect of "All the stars lined up for us to do some Sonisphere shows in 2010 but schedules and logistics make a correponding U.S. tour something we're not going to be able to do for awhile". Instead, they kept hinting at a tour and then came out with this - very disappointing.

I'm OK with bands playing 1 show festivals - shows I'd love to see but can't realistically get to - Metallica's Day on the Green shows are perfect examples. But those are always promoted as 1 shot deals - they don't keep hinting that they're going to do a big tour and then only do 1 special show - THAT'S what I object to.

The other thing that bothers me (and I'm not sure how you eliminate it) is that when tickets get really scarce only those willing to spend big bucks get to go. Back in the day if you really wanted to see a show you stood out in front of the venue or the local ticket place and were rewarded with tickets if you put in the effort. Nowadays it doesn't matter where the show is, the big national ticket brokers and all their resources snap up big numbers of tickets and sell them on the Internet to anyone who can afford them - the fans get shut out. Kind of hard to swallow that all of the bands on this bill came up because kids with almost no money went to their shows and bought their albums via the metal underground and now the only folks who can go see them are folks with substantial disposable income.

I can't speak to the promotion and whispers. Sometimes those come from people not in the know, sometimes it's the band screwing up. I'll stay away from that and say I can understand a letdown. I'd rather one than nothing though.

As for the money, can you really put that all on the bands? It's the heart of any popular band- the people that were there for the $5 shows, hate the $100 tickets. This is less to do with not being the thrash thing to do and more what you see in any alternative movement when they get popular.

One way to prevent scalping is to do will call style with Ids at the door, but it's a whole new problem. A Lot have bands are experimenting with ideas like this. Or only accepting credit cards billed within 500 miles of the venue (but then nyers willing to travel are screwed)