Metal Fans, BIG NEWS!!

DrDawkinstein

http://sphotos.ak.fb...7_5851930_n.jpg

Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, and Anthrax...

Summer tour coming this year?!?!? Announcement tomorrow.

Oh man that would be sweet! I almost bit the bullet and went to one of the European shows last summer but things got too busy at work (I even had to miss the Sofia simulcast that I already had tickets to). I've seen each of these bands lots of times but the closest I've seen to all 4 was Clash of the Titans in 1991 at MSG - think I've seen about every other 2 band combination as well......

:w00t:

if Metallica stays home I'd totally go. But those chumps add $40 to the ticket price and bring at least 20 years worth of terrible terrible music to the table.

Slayer, Anthrax, and Megadeth toured together last year. IIRC it was called the American Carnage Tour

:w00t:

Slayer, Anthrax, and Megadeth toured together last year. IIRC it was called the American Carnage Tour

Yep - pretty good show except that here in the northeast the lineup was Megadeth/Slayer/Testament - would have rather seen Anthrax but seeing Testament for the first time in years was good, even if Chuck Billy gained about 100 lbs.

if Metallica stays home I'd totally go. But those chumps add $40 to the ticket price and bring at least 20 years worth of terrible terrible music to the table.

When they come on thats when you go get some beers and eats. $40 is nothing if consider your seeing the other bands. :thumbsup:

Welp, turns out it's just 1 show, and in California.

Maybe if it goes well, they'll do a couple more over the Summer?

Weak. 1 freakin' show 3000 miles away at a venue that holds 36,000 people tops. Now all they have to do is ensure ticket brokers get all the tickets and then nobody with less than a cool grand to spend will be able to see the show. Yeah - that's what thrash is all about - making sure the real fans never get to see a show like that.

Weak. 1 freakin' show 3000 miles away at a venue that holds 36,000 people tops. Now all they have to do is ensure ticket brokers get all the tickets and then nobody with less than a cool grand to spend will be able to see the show. Yeah - that's what thrash is all about - making sure the real fans never get to see a show like that.

Its not even in a good location if you are a CA resident (at least from what Im hearing). All my CA friends are hating on Indio pretty badly. I dont know much about the specific town, but do know that when you head inland in CA, it gets pretty crappy.

Its not even in a good location if you are a CA resident (at least from what Im hearing). All my CA friends are hating on Indio pretty badly. I dont know much about the specific town, but do know that when you head inland in CA, it gets pretty crappy.

They're touting it as "The Only Show in the U.S." as if that's some sort of selling point. That's a huge F.U. to the millions of fans who have no ability to get to see the show because they either live nowhere near Indio, CA and/or have no ability to shell out the type of coin it's going to take to get one of those tickets and get there. It's like the Super Bowl - it certainly ain't about the fans - its about the money. So help me, if they put out a DVD of the show for $49.95 I'm gonna lose it.

What the hell does it say when Bulgaria gets as many shows as the U.S.? Bulgaria? Really? Bulgaria gets a show and nowhere in the midwest or east coast?

The fans are NOT happy. I don't think they thought this out too well - I think they sold the rights to a promoter for a ton of money and he wanted an exclusive - nobody gave any thought to the fans and the backlash. Certainly makes me question how much I want to support these bands and I've been going to these shows since the early 80s.

Would you rather no show? It's not like any of the bands have logged less then a million miles on the road. If it were next door to you I don't think you'd be so upset. Sounds like sour grapes. Especially if this is a festival as has been suggested it will be.

They're touting it as "The Only Show in the U.S." as if that's some sort of selling point. That's a huge F.U. to the millions of fans who have no ability to get to see the show because they either live nowhere near Indio, CA and/or have no ability to shell out the type of coin it's going to take to get one of those tickets and get there. It's like the Super Bowl - it certainly ain't about the fans - its about the money. So help me, if they put out a DVD of the show for $49.95 I'm gonna lose it.

What the hell does it say when Bulgaria gets as many shows as the U.S.? Bulgaria? Really? Bulgaria gets a show and nowhere in the midwest or east coast?

Uh, pardon me, but WTF are a bunch of middle-aged dudes doing playing metal anyway?

I hate these kind of things.

Would you rather no show? It's not like any of the bands have logged less then a million miles on the road. If it were next door to you I don't think you'd be so upset. Sounds like sour grapes. Especially if this is a festival as has been suggested it will be.

Actually, I probably would be OK with no show. If you're going to do the U.S., do the U.S. - don't keep putting the fans on by hinting that you're going to tour and then not touring - they've been leading the fans on for months. I'd rather they came out and said something to the effect of "All the stars lined up for us to do some Sonisphere shows in 2010 but schedules and logistics make a correponding U.S. tour something we're not going to be able to do for awhile". Instead, they kept hinting at a tour and then came out with this - very disappointing.

I'm OK with bands playing 1 show festivals - shows I'd love to see but can't realistically get to - Metallica's Day on the Green shows are perfect examples. But those are always promoted as 1 shot deals - they don't keep hinting that they're going to do a big tour and then only do 1 special show - THAT'S what I object to.

The other thing that bothers me (and I'm not sure how you eliminate it) is that when tickets get really scarce only those willing to spend big bucks get to go. Back in the day if you really wanted to see a show you stood out in front of the venue or the local ticket place and were rewarded with tickets if you put in the effort. Nowadays it doesn't matter where the show is, the big national ticket brokers and all their resources snap up big numbers of tickets and sell them on the Internet to anyone who can afford them - the fans get shut out. Kind of hard to swallow that all of the bands on this bill came up because kids with almost no money went to their shows and bought their albums via the metal underground and now the only folks who can go see them are folks with substantial disposable income.