Any one use MSG in food?

We were taught at culinary school that MSG enhances your taste buds so if you cook something that tastes like crap you're going to taste more crap. If you know how to cook and season it's not needed.

That means if it tastes good... It will taste better... Then one is going to want to eat more? Hence, a problem with obesity?

I agree, MSG should not be needed.

MSG is relatively new isn't it? Within the last 50 years or so?

That means if it tastes good... It will taste better... Then one is going to want to eat more? Hence, a problem with obesity?

I agree, MSG should not be needed.

MSG is relatively new isn't it? Within the last 50 years or so?

In the US, maybe, the natural product - in seaweed - has been used in China for hundreds of years. The extract MSG was first produced in 1907.

Sorry for that. Didn't read it through, just was searching for a timeline of MSG production for EII - who's search challenged on this InterTubes thingy.

Many people have allergic type reactions to MSG - which could be due to a number of factors. It's been used in the orient for centuries though - in its more raw state. The extract was formulated early in the last century and that became a seasoning ingredient in cooking in the US mostly after WWII which is when we noticed it was a part of the Japanese diet. My dad had an unpleasant reaction to it, so my mother didn't use the stuff much. If you don't swell up or get a headache from it, then you're probably fine with using it. I occasionally use it in some things. I think of it as a seasoning somewhat like salt.

Bottom line - try it, you might like it. Take note of what your body tells you after you consume it.

Sorry for that. Didn't read it through, just was searching for a timeline of MSG production for EII - who's search challenged on this InterTubes thingy.

Many people have allergic type reactions to MSG - which could be due to a number of factors. It's been used in the orient for centuries though - in its more raw state. The extract was formulated early in the last century and that became a seasoning ingredient in cooking in the US mostly after WWII which is when we noticed it was a part of the Japanese diet. My dad had an unpleasant reaction to it, so my mother didn't use the stuff much. If you don't swell up or get a headache from it, then you're probably fine with using it. I occasionally use it in some things. I think of it as a seasoning somewhat like salt.

Bottom line - try it, you might like it. Take note of what your body tells you after you consume it.

I doubt if most people really know how much MSG they ingest. It's in nearly all processed foods [from chips to Chile].

But I get no allergenic reaction from it, so it's purely a taste issue.