New Mock Draft

I don't give much credit to mocks this early (or really at all). After the combine there will almost certainly be a re-shuffleling of the the draft because theres gonna be some kids who blow all the big wig minds and a few will have disappointing workouts..that being said Von Miller at 3 wouldn't bother me , unless Fairley is still on the board.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

... The question is...do we draft a "situational" player with the #3 overall pick? I think not.

Why not? We did it with Spiller last year at 9 ...

Of course not....that's what the #11 overall pick is for. :oops:

Damn you, Matty. Beat me to it :beer::worthy:

Miller is going to be a consistent double-digit sack guy in the NFL, imo.

I do want to see what happens at the combine first, but I suspect Miller will not run a slow 40 and a slow short shuttle like Maybin did. And obviously he's not a one-year wonder in college like Maybin was.

I'm not saying draft him or don't draft him. But I am saying there won't be any comparison between Miller and Maybin after the combine results are in, and I don't think there will be any comparison in NFL production either.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=245254

I wouldn't really want Miller @ #3, but if we could trade back a few spots I would be all for it. Miller is no Maybin, he uses his quickness and strength to get to the QB. He is not a "one trick pony" who just tries to use his speed to loop around the OT. If you look @ his stats you will see that he performed well against the top teams in the Big XII and played well against their two SEC opponents. All of Maybin's sacks were against crap schools. Miller performed well on the field against some of the better teams in the nation. Almost all of his sacks came against ranked teams. I wouldn't flip out like I did when we took Whitner over Ngata or Maybin over Orakpo.

Wow. I give a lot of respect to that site - the dude works hard and doesn't put out a new mock every two days just to drive up traffic. But I haven't seen Von Miller as a top-5 prospect before.

Buddy won't reach (fortunately), so unless by April he has reason to have Miller as a top-3 talent in the draft, this will not be our pick. Mocks are all amusing and fun, and it is entertaining to talk about, but nobody out there has a top 10 even close to what the actual top 10 will be. And if you can show me any case in the past of anybody having the top 10 correct (even in the wrong order?) in January, I will be very surprised.

Go with size and strength early, worry about speed later. A mean attitude works as well. Fairley, Bowers or Dareus have to be the selection unless we trade back. Enough with the speed guys and the projections.

This guy is not just a speed OLB. He really likes to hit people.

BIG difference between Maybin and Miller.

Miller has been performing at a high level for close to 4 years...with the last two seasons in a row being considered stellar.

Maybin only had one season of decent college level play.

I'd prefer a guy like Fairley or Dareus with our #3 pick, but I wouldn't complain over Miller.

That's pretty much how I look at it too. Our trench guys on D really need to be upgraded. But if Von Miller is the guy I would not complain. The reason is that a 3-4 really needs outstanding LBs and he is the best in this class.

Edited by Rockinon

Of course not....that's what the #11 overall pick is for. :oops:

LOL...I agree with the sentiment, but I highly doubt that Buddy & Chan's plan for Spiller was to be a situational player. They knew Lynch was not included in their rebuilding plan. I think they envisioned him as sharing the workload (rushing) with Jackson, and being more heavily involved in the passing game. It's funny how things work out sometimes.

LOL...I agree with the sentiment, but I highly doubt that Buddy & Chan's plan for Spiller was to be a situational player. They knew Lynch was not included in their rebuilding plan. I think they envisioned him as sharing the workload (rushing) with Jackson, and being more heavily involved in the passing game. It's funny how things work out sometimes.

They said he was a situational player when they took him ...

They said he was a situational player when they took him ...

Well maybe situational at first as they worked him into the offense, but.....ah screw it!! I will appeal to the masses on this message board, and stop defending the Spiller draft choice. Okay...he's a bust and a terrible waste of a draft pick. We might as well trade him for a 4th rounder while we have the chance. :thumbsup:

My dream offseason is getting Fairley/Heyward/Dareus with our top pick, then trading either our second or third pick for Haynesworth. In Free agency, we get Asomugha and Woodley in free agency.

That would be great- but there is little chance of doing all that, unfortunately

My dream offseason is getting Fairley/Heyward/Dareus with our top pick, then trading either our second or third pick for Haynesworth. In Free agency, we get Asomugha and Woodley in free agency.

That would be great- but there is little chance of doing all that, unfortunately

Good sir, please defend this ludicrous idea.

He would be a good pick but not 3. Saw Ryan Kerrigan practice on NFL network and he looked really good and so did QB Colin Kaepernick. I'm softening my stance on late round QBs but only as long as they have TALENT! Jake Locker looked rough and haven't liked him in any games this season or last for that matter so I wouldn't use any pick on him. LTs Nate solder and Gabe Carimi looked solid got beat a few times and won a few times, mid/late first looks good for them.

Our problems lately in the draft have been twofold: We draft guys who would have been available ten picks later, who play like they should have been drafted three rounds later. If we grab a guy at #3 who plays like he should have been drafted at #10, I'll be disappointed, but the team will improve. If we draft a guy at #3 who plays like a 5th rounder, then we've wasted the pick.

Haynesworth?! get real that guy is a bum, the rest is good but no way to Haynesworthless.