BING Maps

BB27

I was looking at different maps of different places I have been over the years, and I was checking on a couple of military bases I had been to in Italy. I was looking on BING maps for two places , Sigonella NAS and Aviano AFB.

I'm pretty good with geography and remember the roads around the area really well. I couldn't find either place.

I then decided to check google maps to see if there was something I was missing. Well, there was. BING maps removed both installations and made them look like farm land.

Why would BING remove these installations? It's not like everyone doesn't know that they are there.

I tried to post links, but they wouldn't work.

The Russians were notorious for altering map locations during the cold war. The airbases may have requested the removal for security reasons.

I guess, but they are clearly there on Google maps, and yahoo maps, and mapquest. Also, you can go to the .mil website for each installation and download a road map of the base. Seems odd that only BING maps doesn't have it.

I was looking at different maps of different places I have been over the years, and I was checking on a couple of military bases I had been to in Italy. I was looking on BING maps for two places , Sigonella NAS and Aviano AFB.

I'm pretty good with geography and remember the roads around the area really well. I couldn't find either place.

I then decided to check google maps to see if there was something I was missing. Well, there was. BING maps removed both installations and made them look like farm land.

Why would BING remove these installations? It's not like everyone doesn't know that they are there.

Might have something to do with how they generate the maps...for example, if there's some sort of automation involved, using overhead imagery, and Bing and Google use different sources, that could explain it.

Could also be simply that Microsoft and the EU aren't exactly best friends, and MS is bending over backwards making sure they don't piss off the EU any more than they have. (Whereas Google is only starting to have that same "Oh, you're an evil monopoly" issue with the EU.)

I've done this, too.. Area 51 was completely blurred out, but Pearl Harbor showed every nook and cranny of the port.