Buffalo WJC...

Spun

I went to all twenty-one of the WJC games at HSBC. And I read all three of the articles written in order by Damien Cox (TO Star), Donn Esmonde (Buffalo News) and Cathal Kelly (TO Star). Cox was right on, Esmonde was wrong and right and Kelly was worst.

Before I go too far in this I will say (because it hasn't been said enough), that the City of Buffalo, the Buffalo Sabres and the people of Buffalo did an awesome job in hosting this event. And if Buffalo does get the chance to host the WJC again they should do it. Take the critiques in stride and improve - ghosts included!

For starters, as for who attended the WJC, it was largely Canadians. Surprised? That is not a bad thing and it wasn't for Buffalo either. Most of the WJCs have been held in Canada. The passion for junior level hockey in Canada is unparelled anywhere else in the world. Canada is what, fifty years ahead of everybody in their support for junior hockey? I met Canadians from B.C. to Gaspe, Quebec, literally from far and wide and most were very cool. There are Canadians who go to the WJC every year regardless of where in the world the event is held. Next years tourney in Alberta is already sold out after about a week of ticket allotments. They had a lottery and many got shut out. And those that did get shut out are not happy! Do you know of any Americans angered because they couldn't get tickets? Before I seriously considered throwing my name in the lottery, the lottery was over and done!

As for those who say "who cares?" and "why bother?", I understand your preferring to watch the Sabres, the NHL or something entirely different. This is especially true because the U.S. and Canada do have different cultures. Some people on both sides of the border don't get that fact. For those who have never attended or watched th WJC, I say give it a chance. Remember the "Miracle on Ice"? Heard about it? Well, who do you think was playing for the U.S.A.? Junior level, college players. How many times in reponse to Olympic hockey have you heard people brush off interest (until the U.S. is in the Gold Medal game!) because it isn't like the "old days"? The WJC is as close to what you are going to get to the "old days". The last night of this years WJC was incredible! The U.S. beat a Swedish team that skated circles around Canada 4-2 and Russia overcame a third period 3-0 deficit to beat Canada 5-3!

As far as Esmonde's field study on Canadians and their tipping practices, I would say that is probably right on. Canada and countries around the world don't tip like they do in the U.S. Even in the U.S., there are differences between the big cities (NYC is the best) and the rural areas, the coasts and the interior, age, gender, profession, blah, blah, blah. Generally speaking, familiarize yourself with the culture you are going to visit, including tipping. Or don't, keeping in mind that is part of how we are perceived.

Much was made of the parking gougers. $60? I saw $50. I'll remember the lot. Last spring in Toronto, I paid $30 because I didn't feel like driving around in morning rush hour. Facebook could have helped as numerous Americans posted affordable and close options. Due diligence has its rewards!

As for who spent the bucks to attend the WJC, went to the bars and restaurants in the immediate vicinity of HSBC and stayed at the hotels, it was Canadians. I did see a number of Sabres jerseys. I did meet a couple of guys who drove down all the way from Boston to attend a couple of games. The Ohio Sate Men's hockey team attended one night. I did see some U of Minnesota and Michigan jerseys. But for the most part the WJC is not an American thing. Yet. This could change. But this will be a predominantly Canadian thing for as long as there is a WJC. That isn't a bad thing, just reality.

The rivalry. You know the one. Or maybe you haven't heard. U.S. - Canada. Or shall I say Canada - U.S.? Kind of like everybody wants to "Beat L.A." while L.A. says "huh?". Or Buffalo animosity towards NYC while NYC looks at L.A.? Most Americans don't feel a rivalry towards Canada. Most Americans have never visited Canada and know little about Canada. Meanwhile, Canadian media includes much of U.S. news and sports on a daily basis. At the Buffalo WJC, there was constant booing every time an image of the U.S. appeared on the HSBC video screens. Canadians rooted against the U.S. every time the U.S. played. Comments such as "Buffalo, Ontario", "this is our house" and "this is our game" by Canadians became tiresome. The taunts by Canadians towards departing Americans after Canada's 4-1 drubbing of the U.S. were hostile. Finally, during the Gold Medal game between Canada and Russia, the few Americans at the game were rooting for Russia! Yes, Russia! Remember the Cold War! American people around me went so far as to buy Russian flags in opposition to Canada! Oh how times have changed! It was like when Americans go abroad and do the same thing! There is a rivalry, it is just that most Americans don't know it yet!

Two players for Canada, Marcus Foligno and Zack Kassian will help the Sabres! Both players are physical. The U.S. goalie, Jack Campbell should have a nice career for the Dallas Stars. Campbell was voted Best Goalie for the tourney and deserved the honor. The 31 game tourney even had a greater attendance than the 35 game Salt Lake City Olympic tourney.

two things:

-- many of the canadians i saw couldn't handle their beer. for shame.

-- secondly, it's not entirely fair to make comparisons between Buffalo WJC and 2002 Salt Lake City Games hockey attendence levels. The two venues in Utah had a much smaller combined capacity than the two in Buffalo and Lewiston.

jw

two things:

-- many of the canadians i saw couldn't handle their beer. for shame.

-- secondly, it's not entirely fair to make comparisons between Buffalo WJC and 2002 Salt Lake City Games hockey attendence levels. The two venues in Utah had a much smaller combined capacity than the two in Buffalo and Lewiston.

jw

I didn't realize that about SLC. From what I understand Niagara doesn't have that large of a rink either.

Some of the Canadians were tanked. They came out of the tent ripped and continued the onslaught inside. Most but not all, were twenty-something males of the variety we hear about in arrest reports after Bills games! Thankfully, they weren't violent!