Alabama Governor

I don't know that there was a better way. Artificially keeping people down and then removing the barrier was never going to be easy. And it's still not. I am anti-affirmative action but setting African Americans so far back from the starting line will take forever to cure, if the cure ever comes.

Given the results I would say there had to be a better way. I reject the notion that blacks are better off for this kind of policy. Forcing people to live amongst each other who wouldn't voluntarily do so is wrong IMO. I know there's a "greater good" argument or a "means to an end" argument. I'd argue that appropriate means are an end, and the results show it was a failed policy.

I also reject these notions of a starting line that needs to be reached. The thing that sets people back is a n understanding and appreciation of opportunity. I think the very measures that were intended to remedy these disparities exacerbated them, and the empirical evidence seems to support that theory.

Edited by Rob's House

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes they should.

Are you afraid of guns?

A New York state pistol permit is the hardest to get,no need for huckie to make it harder.

We need to put nuts in the nut house and criminals behind bars.

Of course that's your response. Magically get rid of all the people who we somehow know are going to cause trouble and then make it easy for the remaining people to purchase guns. It's a miracle that nobody's thought of this before.

Of course that's your response. Magically get rid of all the people who we somehow know are going to cause trouble and then make it easy for the remaining people to purchase guns. It's a miracle that nobody's thought of this before.

They did, and it worked.

us crime rates

You're explanation? I suppose 3 strikes you're out and states making Concealed carry easier had nothing to do with it?

Then make that clear. It could be "left the world" or "left town" depending on context and the only referance you provided was "there where riots".

Whatever.... That was a pretty large assumption on your part. I don't think there's anyone who would describe MLK's assassination by saying he "left" rather than "he was murdered."

There's nothing magical about it most of the time. Keep violent criminals in jail for the duration of their sentences! E.g. What doesn't happen in M!@#$chusetts among other places.

Whatever.... That was a pretty large assumption on your part. I don't think there's anyone who would describe MLK's assassination by saying he "left" rather than "he was murdered."

Do you think that's a big stretch considering the annual outpouring of gush, weeping and moaning I am subject to over MLK?

Edited by Jim in Anchorage

Hindsight is 20/20 on the bus issue, and at the time it seemed like it was done because politicians wanted to look tough on the issue of equality. It ruined the lives of thousands of people and changed this countries history. At the time there was only two basic choices, merge the schools and busing or keep them seperate. Are we better off for the long run by having done this? I believe so but I do not know if we are truly that much better off then we were 50 years ago. The intolerance of Muslims and Hispanics is as high as it ever was, while Jews remain the most hated group of all time. It is a sad reality of what we live in and it will not take speeches and preaching to change this, it will take time, patience, tolerance and understanding.

Now, as far as MLK being similar to Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson, someone please tell me how he was different? He gave the same rabble-rousing speeches, he demonstrated in non-violent protests and marches, he repeated the sentiment that there was inequality over and over again, and most importantly he did not serve as a role model to what he preached.

Instead of blasting me for saying he was equal to Sharpton and Jackson, tell me how he was different? Tell me what he did that was so different in his life? Believe it or not, people are motivated by Sharpton and Jackson and good has come from both of these two. The bad far outweighs the good, but what Sharpton and Jackson have done for the better is just the same as what MLK did, and what is obvious when reading anything about MLK is that history has white-washed his background and shortcomings.

I do not understand how our school systems continue to teach such bias information, not explaining that Rosa Parks was a staged event, that Vietnam and the Spanish American War was started because of lies, the truth about the Bay of Pigs, etc. Instead, they make everything roses and we end up with conversations like this...

Hindsight is 20/20 on the bus issue, and at the time it seemed like it was done because politicians wanted to look tough on the issue of equality. It ruined the lives of thousands of people and changed this countries history. At the time there was only two basic choices, merge the schools and busing or keep them seperate. Are we better off for the long run by having done this? I believe so but I do not know if we are truly that much better off then we were 50 years ago. The intolerance of Muslims and Hispanics is as high as it ever was, while Jews remain the most hated group of all time. It is a sad reality of what we live in and it will not take speeches and preaching to change this, it will take time, patience, tolerance and understanding.

Now, as far as MLK being similar to Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson, someone please tell me how he was different? He gave the same rabble-rousing speeches, he demonstrated in non-violent protests and marches, he repeated the sentiment that there was inequality over and over again, and most importantly he did not serve as a role model to what he preached.

Instead of blasting me for saying he was equal to Sharpton and Jackson, tell me how he was different? Tell me what he did that was so different in his life? Believe it or not, people are motivated by Sharpton and Jackson and good has come from both of these two. The bad far outweighs the good, but what Sharpton and Jackson have done for the better is just the same as what MLK did, and what is obvious when reading anything about MLK is that history has white-washed his background and shortcomings.

I do not understand how our school systems continue to teach such bias information, not explaining that Rosa Parks was a staged event, that Vietnam and the Spanish American War was started because of lies, the truth about the Bay of Pigs, etc. Instead, they make everything roses and we end up with conversations like this...

Just out of curiosity, is this your source for most of that info? Thomas Clough's Web-Site, weirdrepublic.com

Just out of curiosity, is this your source for most of that info? Thomas Clough's Web-Site, weirdrepublic.com

nope.

Wikipedia for some, general knowledge for others, learning through various sources on some, the NY Times on the Rosa Parks reference, and various sites.

The people who believe MLK is perfect are probably the same who think Clinton was protecting Monica.

Edited by jboyst62

nope.

Wikipedia for some, general knowledge for others, learning through various sources on some, the NY Times on the Rosa Parks reference, and various sites.

The people who believe MLK is perfect are probably the same who think Clinton was protecting Monica.

Just so you know, wikipedia and the NY Times aren't generally considered to be the best sources on this board.

And did the NY Times Article read something like this?

Edited by RI Bills Fan

Just so you know, wikipedia and the NY Times aren't generally considered to be the best sources on this board.

And did the NY Times Article read something like this?

The NY Times and Wikipedia do not need to be "the best sources on this board" to hold info.

That article, also, is a total mockery. There are truths in it, sure, but what I was regarding earlier was that she took the idea from a teen in the same town whom she fostered/mentored. After she learned what happened to the kid she phoned King and many other leaders to construct a passive aggressive plan. It is sad that in school today they teach this to children as her simply wanting to have a seat at the front of the bus when for how many years prior she went to the back of the bus?