Alabama Governor

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alabama you say? Shocking!

Nice that he felt the need to say that he's going to be a 'colorblind' governor as well...

I'll tell you what else is "shocking", You chiming in on a thread that involves one of the redneck states. All I had to do was see your name as the last person who posted in this thread to have a general idea of the tone of your comment.

You are one predictable fella...

And my response to him would be: good. I don't need a brother, I need a mother!@#$ing GOVERNOR.

I predict a shitstorm surrounding this that ends up being far out of proportion to the actual story.

Maybe but this

"There may be some people here today who do not have living within them the Holy Spirit," Bentley said. ''But if you have been adopted in God's family like I have, and like you have if you're a Christian and if you're saved, and the Holy Spirit lives within you just like the Holy Spirit lives within me, then you know what that makes? It makes you and me brothers. And it makes you and me brother and sister."

Bentley added, ''Now I will have to say that, if we don't have the same daddy, we're not brothers and sisters. So anybody here today who has not accepted Jesus Christ as their savior, I'm telling you, you're not my brother and you're not my sister, and I want to be your brother.

is pretty obnoxious. STFU and govern.

Not to stereotype, but I never believe a politician down here when they praise MLK. Most people I know here get mad that he has his day and refuse to honor his birthday and only the day he was shot.

Really, though, MLK was a lot of hype and I fear that Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton will go down in history the same way. The best way to unite a country is to erase the lines that define us, not rally against another sect of your own population, which is ironic, because that is what that disgrace of a man is doing. His type is the reason I cannot stand Christianity.

Not to stereotype, but I never believe a politician down here when they praise MLK. Most people I know here get mad that he has his day and refuse to honor his birthday and only the day he was shot.

Really, though, MLK was a lot of hype and I fear that Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton will go down in history the same way. The best way to unite a country is to erase the lines that define us, not rally against another sect of your own population, which is ironic, because that is what that disgrace of a man is doing. His type is the reason I cannot stand Christianity.

You are nuts to put King anywhere near Sharpton and Jackson. That is insulting. King was not hype.

I don't think he meant to offend anyone, but this is an example of a guy putting his foot in his mouth. Politicians should not use public forums to preach religion. He made a mistake, just move on.....unless you have never made a mistake

You are nuts to put King anywhere near Sharpton and Jackson. That is insulting. King was not hype.

King plagiarized his doctoral thesis, that is a mistake.

If it wasn't for the likes of our ancestors treating minorities in such a way then King would have never had forum, and should have never had forum. That our country was the land of the free and enslaved its own citizens is disgusting. Every nation has traces of slavery and it goes back as far as time. If MLK had no been assasinated he would not have gone down in history as a martyr, well, for beyond obvious reasons. The guy was on drugs, was a womanizer, and was no different then Jessie Jackson or Al Sharpton.

If you want to choose a minority african american to look up to I can suggest many others, but MLK is not the man. His message may have been good but his lifestyle and everything else about him was corrupt.

If it wasn't for the likes of our ancestors treating minorities in such a way then King would have never had forum, and should have never had forum. That our country was the land of the free and enslaved its own citizens is disgusting. Every nation has traces of slavery and it goes back as far as time. If MLK had no been assasinated he would not have gone down in history as a martyr, well, for beyond obvious reasons. The guy was on drugs, was a womanizer, and was no different then Jessie Jackson or Al Sharpton.

If you want to choose a minority african american to look up to I can suggest many others, but MLK is not the man. His message may have been good but his lifestyle and everything else about him was corrupt.

That's not plagirism, that's "literary welfare".

you're pretty much described the kennedy brothers and many other important political human beings of that or any other era. your argument is much like a dog chasing it's tail..certainly if there was no history of oppression there would have been no for the civil rights movement, and no recognition of the important figures if the movement. by the same argument, if the japanese had never bombed pearl harbor fdr might never have been recognized as one the most important presidents of the 1900's. there may well be a tendency to look past the fault's of the man, as happens somewhat frequently with historical figures, but to suggest he was the equivalent of al sharpton is preposterous. with all his warts, he inspired and motivated millions of people and changed the world.

with all his warts, he inspired and motivated millions of people and changed the world.

see

you're pretty much described the kennedy brothers and many other important political human beings of that or any other era.

Snooki and the Situation have motivated, inspired and changed a million people in this world, too. That you suggest he did anything that thousands of others during his day were not doing is asinine. Malcolm X, Rosa Parks were figureheads of a much larger movement that was not fought by the powers that be but by the every day black man.

You herald MLK for his speeches, I criticize him. It was not MLK who changed the world, his words motivated the oponents of equality masses against him as much as it did those who supported him. He has done more in his death then he did in his life. By becoming a martyr he became a public face for all that was wrong with racism in the United States.

see

Snooki and the Situation have motivated, inspired and changed a million people in this world, too. That you suggest he did anything that thousands of others during his day were not doing is asinine. Malcolm X, Rosa Parks were figureheads of a much larger movement that was not fought by the powers that be but by the every day black man.

You herald MLK for his speeches, I criticize him. It was not MLK who changed the world, his words motivated the oponents of equality masses against him as much as it did those who supported him. He has done more in his death then he did in his life. By becoming a martyr he became a public face for all that was wrong with racism in the United States.

I admit I did not see the "a reasonable couterpoint to the debate of the importance of mlk as an historical figure involves snooki and the situation", but that doesn't give your argument any legs. I did not suggest that mlk was the only relevant person of the day, in fact, quite the opposite. I don't see it as an either-or argument. If you want to take the argument to the extreme, every person who took a stand on the anti-segregation side of the debate was a figurative pebble in the pond in some way, shape or form. Each action may well have prompted another reaction. I think it's a fools argument to look at the footage of some of mlk's famous speeches and the people there to hear him share his vision and suggest he did not inspire people in a way wholly different than six kids in a rented beach house slamming tequila shooters (and often each other). Just to offer a rebuttal to your next comparison, I think he inspired people in a way that is different than the cast of Gilligan's Island and Squidward from Spongebob Squarepants, too.

If you choose to believe that the role of mlk is diminished because of the actions of rosa parks or any of the countless others we could name....have at it. If you choose to believe that, say, his "I have a dream" speech was detrimental to the cause because of the reaction of his enemies...go to town. I think it's pure poppycock.

We do agree that his assassination elevated him to almost other-worldly status to many people. Unfortunately, it's virtually impossible for a real person to stand up to the type of scrutiny that naturally follows. Again, witness Robert F. Kennedy and his relative importance with regard to the civil right's struggle and much of what we've learned after his death.

I feel comfortable being able to reconcile the real difference between the saint and the man.

You can't really expect an honest appraisal of the man, any more than one can expect an honest appraisal of George Washington. What we revere is the myth and simplification / five-second soundbyte of some of his public words and deeds, not who he really was. By necessity, that gets lost when a mythical/archetypal figure is created.

Yep. He had some large flaws. But I don't know about "motivat[ing] the opponents of equality" as much as the supporters of civil rights. Bigots would hate whoever was among the leadership. Despite the nonviolence message, in many cities a few days or weeks after MLK left there were riots/unrest. I don't blame him personally for this, nor to a large degree, the rioters. If the political system that claimed to be democratic denied me the right to vote and other freedoms, I'd pick up a GD flamethrower!

Back to the topic, tho, this governor is exactly the type of individual who creates a dangerous sidetrack for the Republicans. To broaden their base, they need to stop being the party of the Crazy Baptist Minister and focus on the economy/jobs, defense/national security, cutting spending and taxes, and balancing the budget. Whenever they've gone off their core and gotten sidetracked into religious and social issues, they've lost at the voting booth. People want good governance --- not good religio-moralizers.

Edited by UConn James