54 members have voted

1. 1. Which one do you prefer?

• Mom & Pop restaurant
    • Franchise

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But, if you want to try and get a completely new customer. You do that by having a clean, well-lit restaurant; professionally signed with a cleaned parking lot and exterior. Essentially, you need to look like a clean, safe, inviting place for a stranger to walk into. Giuseppe's Ritrivo in Bexley, OH (Columbus) is a great place. Driving down the street, you can see inside the windows, clean place, lots of hot girls waiting on the tables; a little bar area for lounging while you wait. Why wouldn't you go in to try it out? I did and it's one of my favorite places anywhere - a little pricey, but hey... what's money, right?

My wife and I live in Bexley and we're probably a 30 second drive from Giuseppes. We've eaten there a few times and just think it's just ok. The atmosphere is very nice especially in the summer when you can sit outside. I just haven't had the best of luck with the food. Had the lasagna one night and it was awful! Like half frozen awful. We have some friends that think it's great. We've eaten at many of the best places in Columbus and Giuseppe's isn't even in our top 10. Might give it another shot, as everyone has an off night here and there.

Thanks for all the advice and well wishes. I appreciate it.

BTW, I haven't secured the location just yet, but it should be done soon, I'm still in negotiations. I already dropped the price by 30% and still looking for more!

How do you guys like this name I have planned for the place?

Buffalo's Famous Wings & Pizza

You likey?

Edited by b.harami98

Just for my own curiousity - what other places do you go to when in C'bus?

Not too many more... but for breakfast I really like the Grillet and Skillet. It's a complete greasy spoon diner further down Main St. Just a great place to get some eggs. Then there's Bag of Nails Pub (I think that's the name). Of course, there's Katsinger's(?) deli near down town. Great deli! And then a few places by the University, that I couldn't recall the names if I had to.

Great town and area. One of my favorite places to visit , believe it or not.

My wife and I live in Bexley and we're probably a 30 second drive from Giuseppes. We've eaten there a few times and just think it's just ok. The atmosphere is very nice especially in the summer when you can sit outside. I just haven't had the best of luck with the food. Had the lasagna one night and it was awful! Like half frozen awful. We have some friends that think it's great. We've eaten at many of the best places in Columbus and Giuseppe's isn't even in our top 10. Might give it another shot, as everyone has an off night here and there.

Unbelievable! I've never had a bad meal there. It's always been excellent for me.

What are some of the other places? I'm always looking for a new favorite place.

I still picked "Mom & Pop", but I really don't care... I am easy to please... Most likely explains my waistline... You don't have to call me twice to eat and the "boarding house reach" doesn't offend.

"Perhaps I've grown a little cynical

But I know no matter what the waitress brings

I shall drink in and always be full..."

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Most anything corporate is inferior other than computers and high capital items. They sell a song and dance for the sheep to follow. Too many examples to list, pizza, subs, restaurants, bars, beer, movies, TV, etc... Support the local Mpm 'n' Pops and you will most likely get more variety and better quality. As was said previously, Mom 'n' Pops do have to know what they are doing as word of mouth is very powerful, pro and con.

Not too many more... but for breakfast I really like the Grillet and Skillet. It's a complete greasy spoon diner further down Main St. Just a great place to get some eggs. Then there's Bag of Nails Pub (I think that's the name). Of course, there's Katsinger's(?) deli near down town. Great deli! And then a few places by the University, that I couldn't recall the names if I had to.

Great town and area. One of my favorite places to visit , believe it or not.

Unbelievable! I've never had a bad meal there. It's always been excellent for me.

What are some of the other places? I'm always looking for a new favorite place.

Grill & Skillet!!!! Nice! We literally just discovered it about a month an a half ago per some friends of ours that also live in Bexley and came across it. We've been back three or four Sunday mornings for breakfast. If you ever see a younger guy in there in Bills gear it's probably me. Also love Katzinger's over in German Village. Used to live down there, so we went more often but GREAT sandwhiches. Love the garlic pickles too. For a upscale steakhouse with an "old time" vibe try the Top Steakhouse also in Bexley. It's right across the street from the grill & skillet. Pricy but good service and really good food. Simple and not too complicated. Back to German Village area, the Thurman cafe is THE place for burgers. Always has a wait as it's very small but so worth it. Short North literally has dozens of great places encompassing all kinds of cuisine. A good place for some cheaper fare is the Press Grill. Also kind of small but good grub. Any of the Cameron Mitchell restaurants in Columbus are good too. I could go on but I'm in the Philly airport drinking beers and watching the Sabres game!

Grill & Skillet!!!! Nice! We literally just discovered it about a month an a half ago per some friends of ours that also live in Bexley and came across it. We've been back three or four Sunday mornings for breakfast. If you ever see a younger guy in there in Bills gear it's probably me. Also love Katzinger's over in German Village. Used to live down there, so we went more often but GREAT sandwhiches. Love the garlic pickles too. For a upscale steakhouse with an "old time" vibe try the Top Steakhouse also in Bexley. It's right across the street from the grill & skillet. Pricy but good service and really good food. Simple and not too complicated. Back to German Village area, the Thurman cafe is THE place for burgers. Always has a wait as it's very small but so worth it. Short North literally has dozens of great places encompassing all kinds of cuisine. A good place for some cheaper fare is the Press Grill. Also kind of small but good grub. Any of the Cameron Mitchell restaurants in Columbus are good too. I could go on but I'm in the Philly airport drinking beers and watching the Sabres game!

Thanks for the suggestions! I've heard good things from other guys about Thurman Cafe, but haven't been yet. I'll definitely have to check it out.

Gotta love the Grill and Skillet!

Anybody ever visit this place?:

Johnson's, Conneaut, Ohio

Johnson's, Conneaut, Ohio (B/W)

I used to love it when I worked Conneaut harbor... Smallest diner I have ever been in! everybody sat around the kitchen at the counter... Get there at the wrong time when the place was full (only held about 10 or so people)... It was kinda awkward! Like: "Hurry up, finish your food!" ;)

Anyway, what a kick ass little place... And as "Mom & Pop" as they come!

As far as taste goes, there's absolutely no comparison, IMO...you find an authentic italian mom and pop type of place, and the pizza you get there is ridiculously good. They don't only pay attention to the ingredients, but they also know what spices and sh*t to put on the pizza. I got a simple cheese pizza from a shop about ten years ago that was run by a little Italian guy who didn't even speak english. Driving home with that pizza in the car was like torture. I have no idea what sort of seasoning he put on it, but whatever it was the smell was intoxicating and it tasted even better.

On the other hand, there are times - especially when I get home from a long day of work - when I just dont' feel like getting dressed, getting in the car, and driving over to the pizza place. So I will break down and place an online order to Dominos or Papa Johns. I never get pizza from Dominos anymore (the only exception is the philly steak pizza on occasion), but I do like those sandwich things they make. With Papa Johns I will get the pizza and some wings. So as far as where my money goes, it probably is an even split. But if I could only have one typoe of place in my area, I'd go with the mom and pop for sure. As long as you don't water down your sauces or skimp on the cheese, you'll be good :thumbsup:

Just be careful with "Mom & Pop" funeral homes... I hear they aren't as all cracked up to be! That, a lot of "family" funeral homes are actually run by huge conglomerations...

As far as taste goes, there's absolutely no comparison, IMO...you find an authentic italian mom and pop type of place, and the pizza you get there is ridiculously good. They don't only pay attention to the ingredients, but they also know what spices and sh*t to put on the pizza. I got a simple cheese pizza from a shop about ten years ago that was run by a little Italian guy who didn't even speak english. Driving home with that pizza in the car was like torture. I have no idea what sort of seasoning he put on it, but whatever it was the smell was intoxicating and it tasted even better.

On the other hand, there are times - especially when I get home from a long day of work - when I just dont' feel like getting dressed, getting in the car, and driving over to the pizza place. So I will break down and place an online order to Dominos or Papa Johns. I never get pizza from Dominos anymore (the only exception is the philly steak pizza on occasion), but I do like those sandwich things they make. With Papa Johns I will get the pizza and some wings. So as far as where my money goes, it probably is an even split. But if I could only have one typoe of place in my area, I'd go with the mom and pop for sure. As long as you don't water down your sauces or skimp on the cheese, you'll be good :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I worked for Pizza Junction in NT for a few years back in the day. It is a pretty good example of a "Mom and Pop" place that has had a a lot of success in the pizza business locally. From my experience, I can tell you that it will take a lot of hard work and dedication from not only yourself, but the people that you surround yourself with at this new joint. The quality of the workers that you hire will be extremely important to maintaining a quality product and keeping your own stress-level as low as possible. That being said, like many others have said previously, quality ingredients are everything in the pizza-making business. At Pizza Junction, they have always used the best ingredients possible, and loaded up their pizzas with more of them than most places in WNY. However, the prices have always been a bit higher than other places due to this. Even so, business is still booming because once people get a taste for a certain quality of pizza, wings, subs, etc. they will shell out a couple extra bucks to place an order once every week or two. Good luck, and I hope its a successful venture!

Is this the place we went to? That was one of THE best pizzas I've ever had! Me want... :thumbsup:

BTW,if anyone finds themselves in Corvallis, OR go to Woodstocks Pizza. Good stuff!