Mom & Pop vs Franchise restaurants

Justice

54 members have voted

1. 1. Which one do you prefer?

• Mom & Pop restaurant
    • Franchise

Giuseppe's Ritrivo in Bexley, OH (Columbus) is a great place. Driving down the street, you can see inside the windows, clean place, lots of hot girls waiting on the tables; a little bar area for lounging while you wait. Why wouldn't you go in to try it out? I did and it's one of my favorite places anywhere - a little pricey, but hey... what's money, right?

Shhh - don't tell the whole world it will ruin it for the rest of us. One of my fav's.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I lost my job in July and didn't have much luck finding work, so I have decided to buy a pizzeria. I found a place for a pretty good price and has room for improvement. The current owner doesn't open late or on Sundays and he doesn't deliver ,as well.

The pizzeria is a mom & pop place and I was just wondering how many of you fellow stadium wallers actually prefer mom & pop over franchise chains.

I, personally, like the mom & pop places better. How about you?

When it comes to pizza, mom & pop. Buying from a mom & pop place doesn't guarantee good pizza but most chain store pizza sucks. I will admit however to liking pizza from Uno Chicago Grill.

Even for other meals I will give a mom & pop place a chance over a chain.

Shhh - don't tell the whole world it will ruin it for the rest of us. One of my fav's.

I probably shouldn't have included the link, huh? Dang it!

I do love that place though... go almost every time I'm in town which I hope is in about 2 weeks.

Let me add this. Pizza is like sex. Even when it's bad it's good.

I tried Domino's for the first time a couple months ago (some of my friends were swayed by their recent ad campaign). If pizza is like sex, that **** is like sex with an ugly sister.

Edited by SageAgainstTheMachine

If you can find a place that consistently makes a GREAT pizza(which it should be when I am spending $12+ for a large), than I am more than willing to support the mom and pop restaurants. Unfortunately, more often than not, the pizza is underwhelming in terms of not being cooked correctly, skimpy ingredients, crappy service, etc...

Therefore, on many occasions, my "not so picky" taste buds are more than happy with a $5 pizza from Little Caesars.

Flame away!

Edited by LabattBlue

If you can find a place that consistently makes a GREAT pizza(which it should be when I am spending $12+ for a large), than I am more than willing to support the mom and pop restaurants. Unfortunately, more often than not, the pizza is underwhelming in terms of not being cooked correctly, skimpy ingredients, crappy service, etc...

Therefore, on many occasions, my "not so picky" taste buds are more than happy with a $5 pizza from Little Caesars.

Flame away!

I hear you. A large pizza from my favorite independent pizza place around here runs me about 20 bucks. Hurts my wallet every time I pay that for a pizza, but it's worth it as an occasional treat.

And I would also add that not just mom and pop places make good pizza. Some of those suck too. There are some real high end places here in SF that make fantastic pizza. And I'm a big fan of the thin crust and I mean the super thin crispy crust.

You buy snooty pizza? I wouldn't be caught dead in a snooty pizza joint.

I'd much rather have a pizza made by a trained chef than some high school pot head and where I can get a great bottle of wine versus a liter of coke. But that's just me.

Only in California can you get wine at a pizza place. But what they call"pizza" is a joke. A mess of soy bean paste, cauliflower, sea weed, and cucumbers with a slice of tomato on top is not a "pizza".

Only in California can you get wine at a pizza place. But what they call"pizza" is a joke. A mess of soy bean paste, cauliflower, sea weed, and cucumbers with a slice of tomato on top is not a "pizza".

No that's not pizza but homemade mozzarella, heirloom tomatoes, fresh basil and garlic confit is and you'll find more of that type as opposed to what you mentioned.

I wasn't surprised to see that I was the only one who voted for franchise. Some mom & pop shops are great, but when it comes to pizza it's hard to top Papa John's. I know, I know, the guy's really obnoxious and his egomaniacal commercials make me want to shoot my TV, but that's some damn good pizza.

Having spent too many years of my youth in that industry I can say, if you have a good and consistent product and you keep your service times down you should do well. Good luck.

when it comes to pizza it's hard to top Papa John's.

:blink:

I'll admit that they're probably the best chain pizza place that I've had.. But there's at least three better pizza places in my city of 11,000 people, let alone a bigger city (or anywhere in WNY).