Scientists warn California could be struck by winter ‘superstorm’

Booster4324

Link

A group of more than 100 scientists and experts say in a new report that California faces the risk of a massive "superstorm" that could flood a quarter of the state's homes and cause $300 billion to $400 billion in damage. Researchers point out that the potential scale of destruction in this storm scenario is four or five times the amount of damage that could be wrought by a major earthquake.

The scientists built a model that showed a storm could last for more than 40 days and dump 10 feet of water on the state. The storm would be goaded on by an "atmospheric river" that would move water "at the same rate as 50 Mississippis discharging water into the Gulf of Mexico," according to the AP. Winds could reach 125 miles per hour, and landslides could compound the damage, the report notes.

:o

Wow, how do you really prepare for something like that? I would think the state would be crushed and there would be massive loss of life.

Edited by Booster4324

Wow, how do you really prepare for something like that?

In the real world? I don't know.

In CA? You introduce Proposition 217 to the ballot, banning the climatological oppression of undocumented immigrants, then take the weather to the 9th Circuit Court, who pass a unanimous ruling saying excessive rain is a Fourth Amendment violation. Then you blame the Republicans when it doesn't work.

In the real world? I don't know.

In CA? You introduce Proposition 217 to the ballot, banning the climatological oppression of undocumented immigrants, then take the weather to the 9th Circuit Court, who pass a unanimous ruling saying excessive rain is a Fourth Amendment violation. Then you blame the Republicans when it doesn't work.

You forgot "raise taxes on anyone with the gall to operate a private business". It's time Mock started paying his fair share anyway.

40 days of rain? Pffff, we deal with this all the time. Wimpy Californians! :lol:

In case you hadn't noticed us "wimpy" Californians are never the ones that bring up mudslides, fires, earthquakes, etc, etc, etc. It's always the outsiders who ask "how can you live there with all those mudslides, fires, eathquakes, etc. We tend to shrug our shoulders and say "no biggie."

In case you hadn't noticed us "wimpy" Californians are never the ones that bring up mudslides, fires, earthquakes, etc, etc, etc. It's always the outsiders who ask "how can you live there with all those mudslides, fires, eathquakes, etc. We tend to shrug our shoulders and say "no biggie."

That's just 'cause you're all totally baked on Northern California sensimilla B-)

That's just 'cause you're all totally baked on Northern California sensimilla B-)

No because we understand that the media blows everything out of proportion. I've live here for nearly 30 years and there has really only been two major earthquakes. One was in norCal while I lived in soCal and the second was in soCal when I was visiting WNY. :lol:

No because we understand that the media blows everything out of proportion. I've live here for nearly 30 years and there has really only been two major earthquakes. One was in norCal while I lived in soCal and the second was in soCal when I was visiting WNY. :lol:

That's because the stuff they're smokin' isn't nearly as good. B-)

Unless of course it's you hanging 10 on the roof of your house.

Link

:o

Wow, how do you really prepare for something like that? I would think the state would be crushed and there would be massive loss of life.

Cool! The central valley area then would be called the Sea of California! Then we can build a canal to the Sea of Cortez so Chef can take his vacation by boat to Mexicali via Fresno and Bakersfield with a stop in Palm Springs! :P

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Cool! The central valley area then would be called the Sea of California! Then we can build a canal to the Sea of Cortez so Chef can take his vacation by boat to Mexicali via Fresno and Bakersfield with a stop in Palm Springs! :P

NO, NOT COOL!! I live in the Central Valley!!! :cry: