Volunteer Firemen or Professional Firemen

Bills99999

Uh oh...here we go........

I saw the subject line and thought the exact same thing.

Poor new guy never had a chance.

I miss that thread. Was that the same guy that would talk about going out to the bars and all the women he would supposedly pick up? I'm thinking it was BuffaloBilldo or something?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd love either kind, thank you. :wub:

It's all about the hoses with you isn't it.

Oh and BTW my wife is with you. She was so excited when we bought our first condo next to a fire station. That was until the sirens started blaring every night. I told her to stop setting the kitchen on fire.

Edited by Chef Jim

Many of my family members back in WNY are involved with the VFD. My great-grandpa was a leader among the VFD in WNY a long time ago. More recently, many of my family members remain active in the dept.

Here, in my township it is all volunteer, other then the chief and any who pass a drivers level 2 test. There are a few officers, as well as the chief. They go on 400 calls a year, serving part of I85, and assisting other departments including the city dept.

The thing I have noticed about VFD is that there are often more crew to show up then with the city dept. Many of the members drive themselves to the scene and the only limitation seems to be that there are only so many trucks per station. There is probably a station here every 8 miles with 3 to 4 trucks and a brush burner. The ambulance services and country rescue squad are seperate. The state troopers direct all of the traffic incidents, including fatalities and tickets, outside of the city. Almost never will you see a sheriffs vehicle pulling over a vehicle, they deal with all other issues in the county.

Interesting note, my county is a dry county. You have to go in the city limits to purchase alcohol.

It's all about the hoses with you isn't it.

Oh and BTW my wife is with you. She was so excited when we bought our first condo next to a fire station. That was until the sirens started blaring every night. I told her to stop setting the kitchen on fire.

I don't know what it is about firemen...they are just sexy IMO. :lol: Cowboys are the same for me. :blush:

Many of my family members back in WNY are involved with the VFD. My great-grandpa was a leader among the VFD in WNY a long time ago. More recently, many of my family members remain active in the dept.

Here, in my township it is all volunteer, other then the chief and any who pass a drivers level 2 test. There are a few officers, as well as the chief. They go on 400 calls a year, serving part of I85, and assisting other departments including the city dept.

The thing I have noticed about VFD is that there are often more crew to show up then with the city dept. Many of the members drive themselves to the scene and the only limitation seems to be that there are only so many trucks per station. There is probably a station here every 8 miles with 3 to 4 trucks and a brush burner. The ambulance services and country rescue squad are seperate. The state troopers direct all of the traffic incidents, including fatalities and tickets, outside of the city. Almost never will you see a sheriffs vehicle pulling over a vehicle, they deal with all other issues in the county.

Interesting note, my county is a dry county. You have to go in the city limits to purchase alcohol.

What is a drivers level 2 test?

He is referring to you, there was a troll here in the past that started a thread about volunteer firefighters being pyromaniacs. I think you are probably him too, but giving you a heads up on the off chance you aren't.

It was Chef Jim who said that. My mind is still open

I must be over-tired today. I saw your post and then had an image of you putting out a fire by throwing a bunch of chickens on top of it.

Weird.