Man, Time Sure Does Fly

Chef Jim

Remember the Bluemont ski resort in Yorkshire, New York? That used to happen to the lifts there all the time! I remember one time in Junior High (ski club outing)... The double

Cheffy... You probably remember the leather boots? A bit before my time... :P

Of course I remember leather boots with laces and bear trape bindings. It's amazing how easy it is to ski these days with the equipment.

Edited by Chef Jim

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ski poles were made of bamboo then too.

Actually not too far removed from that.

Funny thing was when I was at Holiday Valley a couple of years ago I asked my brother (who will be 52 next month) if the woman working the cafeteria was the same one who worked there when we were kids. It was, we laughed, she hasn't changed a bit.

Actually not too far removed from that.

Funny thing was when I was at Holiday Valley a couple of years ago I asked my brother (who will be 52 next month) if the woman working the cafeteria was the same one who worked there when we were kids. It was, we laughed, she hasn't changed a bit.

:o

She hasn't... But the place and amenities surely has!

What I miss are the surface lifts. Noting beats a Poma on the upper part of the big mountains when the wind is whipping and the chairs are forced to close!

Nobody remembers old Bluemont in Yorkshire??? Take Rte. 16 straight out past Earl's (is that place stil there??) to Yorkshire Corners and then turn right on Rte. 39... Was on the left heading east... I think it had a northern exposure?... The lifts there were always breaking down!!

Reading up on Bluemont shows that they were some 20 years ahead of their time! They had a detachable chair lift in 1962!!:

"The area contained 800 feet of vertical drop with 8 trails. The longest trail was 6,600 feet. Blue Mountain also had 2 rope tow lifts, a surface T-bar lift, and from 1959-62 an unconventional, side loading, detachable chair lift., developed to help keep guests warm against the onslaught of the lake effect snow bands coming off from lake Erie. For amenities, the area had a ski school, ski patrol, rentals and a full base lodge containing a bar, restaurant, and conventional cafeteria. Also unlike most ski areas at the time, limited snowmaking was available.

In 1962, due to the unsafe nature of the unconventional side-loading chair, where the detachable grips kept coming loose making some chairs come off the cable, Blue mountain closed. Fortunately there were no major injuries or accidents due to the unsafe chair lift."

Lost Ski Resorts

Bluemont Says... 1980... But they were briefly open to around 1983-84ish.

Wow.. Great find!

Had 800 vertical feet... Almost 1/2 better than KB and at that time better than the then small HV (750')... Had the classic-cut ski trails! With a 50% longer run than Mardis Gras at HV... Even know it was relatively flat to make such a long run out of 800 vertical feet.

One of my favorite ski resorts is Pico, Vt (backside of Killington)... Also has the classic narrow piste with usually one steep fall line.

Others I like:

Mad River Glen, VT

Mt. Norquay, AB (Banff)

Shame they don't make 'em like that anymore!!! Everything is so wide open and big... Probably for safety and insurance reasons...:(

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I'm sure someone could tell you, but that might be considered giving you advice about weather.

No. Unless you give him a history lesson explaining when it happened before and how... Then it wouln't be giving advice... Right? ;)

Am I one of the few NOT to give him advice? :P

For some reason I am having déjà vu! :wallbash: