Arizona congresswoman among 18 shot at Tucson grocery

It sounds like this kid should have been locked up in a mental institution. The left feels that locking people up is against peoples' human rights. So I blame the left.

This makes about as much sense as your ridiculous assertions.

bull ****, Reagan is the one who drastically cut funding for nuthouses, putting folks like this on the street. I'd like to see one example of a statement by anyone who can reasonably be aligned with the left who says that we should not lock up the criminally insane.

And what ridiculous assertion exactly did I make?

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, if you can find any I'd love to see some examples.

I do hope that Alec Baldwin decides to run for the US Senate.

I can't wait to see the clip of him ranting about how Henry Hyde should be hauled out and executed by a mod.

Classic stuff.

bull ****, Reagan is the one who drastically cut funding for nuthouses, putting folks like this on the street. I'd like to see one example of a statement by anyone who can reasonably be aligned with the left who says that we should not lock up the criminally insane.

Wrong. It was Carter that 'mainstreamed' them.

Try again.

Or you may start by backing your speculation on "words from the right". A picture with crosshairs can drive someone to murder?

It's possible that it may have an inspired an obviously insane man to murder. I'm only saying it's time to tone down the rhetoric. Not that Sarah Palin is at fault.

But if you're looking for an example, here you go:

"Don't retreat! Instead - RELOAD!"

I don't know how an insane man could possibly take this as an invitation (along with the crosshairs targeting her office) to shoot at a Congresswoman.

Apparently you didn't get the part where my viewpoint was something I completely fabricated and was a purposeful "nutty" take on the left and mental institutions.

The same assertion that the sheriff made, it all Rush's fault.

its easier, and makes us as a society, feel better if we can politcize and blame others as opposed to admitting that we have neighbors, family and friends that suffer from mental problems and we turn the other cheek...this kid was not motivated by anything he read on sarah palin's website...in fact i would bet he never even saw that website...much like up until yesterday, neither had i....

My deepest sympathies to those who were killed or wounded and their families.

I read this thread with curiosity because, as a Canadian, I am not exposed to the deep division between right and left. Having experienced union backlash and the recent G-20 summit held in Toronto, I think it is fair to say that extremism is prevalent on both ends of the political spectrum.

Having said that, the fact that many people on this board are once again politically divided over this topic, which I am sure is happening all across America, is perhaps giving this lunatic exactly what he intended....further polarization of left and right.

This is a time to mourn and galvanize the masses, not get caught up in petty political posturing.

It's possible that it may have an inspired an obviously insane man to murder. I'm only saying it's time to tone down the rhetoric. Not that Sarah Palin is at fault.

I don't know how an insane man could possibly take this as an invitation (along with the crosshairs targeting her office) to shoot at a Congresswoman.

Despite evidence to the contrary, you keep making the inference that b/c it was a Democrat who was shot, that the shooter was Republican or subscribed to the political right.

I'll write it again for you: The NYT is quoting source who describes the shooter as "very liberal."

It's questionable whether he saw those political ads, and it's specious to suggest that a "very liberal" person shot someone because a conservative used this trashy graphics and phraseology.

See, you're looking to pinpoint a root cause, and putting your thumbtack onto cheap political marketing. 'He saw this picture and there's a lot of political rancor, so that's why he killed.' That's crap. Cain didn't kill Abel b/c he saw an ad saying that farming was great and hunting/nomadism was on the outs. He killed b/c it's in some people's nature/nurture to hate and destroy.

Edited by UConn James

When was the killer recommended for commitment? Do at lest a little research before you sprout.

I read this thread with curiosity because, as a Canadian, I am not exposed to the deep division between right and left. Having experienced union backlash and the recent G-20 summit held in Toronto, I think it is fair to say that extremism is prevalent on both ends of the political spectrum.

Having said that, the fact that many people on this board are once again politically divided over this topic, which I am sure is happening all across America, is perhaps giving this lunatic exactly what he intended....further polarization of left and right.

This is a time to mourn and galvanize the masses, not get caught up in petty political posturing.

if only it were petty politics but this is a profound divide tearing at the fabric of the nation and exacerbated by opportunistic, cynical, irresponsible pols and their minions on both sides.

Edited by birdog1960

Despite evidence to the contrary, you keep making the inference that b/c it was a Democrat who was shot, that the shooter was Republican or subscribed to the political right.

I'll write it again for you: The NYT is quoting source who describes the shooter as "very liberal."

It's questionable whether he saw those political ads, and it's specious to suggest that a "very liberal" person shot someone because a conservative used this trashy graphics and phraseology.

See, you're looking to pinpoint a root cause, and putting your thumbtack onto cheap political marketing. 'He saw this picture and there's a lot of political rancor, so that's why he killed.' That's crap. Cain didn't kill Abel b/c he saw an ad saying that farming was great and hunting/nomadism was on the outs. He killed b/c it's in some people's nature/nurture to hate and destroy.

That source is a girl he went to high school with 5 years ago.

To be fair you should probably list the reports out of Arizona that he listed Palin and the Tea Party as inspiration, yanno lock and load and all. He was very anti government and believed many things were unconstitutional.

Ill post a link http://www.tucsonweekly.com/TheRange/archives/2011/01/08/the-crazed-internet-rantings-of-jared-loughner

The FBI is looking into the Tea Party connecntion as well as connection to Anti semite anti government anti imiigration group called American Renaissance. http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0111/47308.html

Does this guy sound very liberal to you? He's nuts is what he is. Ill take people who are trained to investigate these things over the report from a high school friend who hasnt seen him in a while.

I had to post these links bc obviously you wont see this stuff on fox news who by the way have the least informed viewers.

A member of our congress was shot through the head. The political discussions regarding motivations and ramifications are simply unavoidable.

This lunatic's only intention was probably to silence the voices in his head.

That chart had REPUBLICANS listed on it, too.

And Daily Kos posted this:

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2008/6/25/1204/74882/511/54168

"Not all of these people will get or even deserve primaries, but this vote certainly puts a bulls eye on their district"

Get a clue.

How's the Quebec separatist movement going?

That source is a girl he went to high school with 5 years ago.

To be fair you should probably list the reports out of Arizona that he listed Palin and the Tea Party as inspiration, yanno lock and load and all. He was very anti government and believed many things were unconstitutional.

Ill post a link http://www.tucsonweekly.com/TheRange/archives/2011/01/08/the-crazed-internet-rantings-of-jared-loughner

The FBI is looking into the Tea Party connecntion as well as connection to Anti semite anti government anti imiigration group called American Renaissance. http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0111/47308.html

Does this guy sound very liberal to you? He's nuts is what he is. Ill take people who are trained to investigate these things over the report from a high school friend who hasnt seen him in a while.

I had to post these links bc obviously you wont see this stuff on fox news who by the way have the least informed viewers.

As someone who listed the Communist Manifesto as one of his favorite books as soon as three weeks ago, I'm going to guess that he wasn't a member of the Young Republicans, as much as some on the left would like that to be so.

I dunno. I'm not going to deny that the Tea Party has attracted a lot of different people who think it's something it's not. As the old axiom goes, "25 percent of people will like you for the wrong reasons." Much as yesterday's attacks go into the "25 percent of people will dislike you for the wrong reasons." I don't think it's fair to say that a small smattering of lone-wolf crazies define the Tea Party and its political process goals any more than David Duke represents the Democratic party's goals in race issues.

Trying to pinpoint this kid on anything is probably going to be like hammering a nail into Jello. The roots of Crazy run deep and spread far out.

Edited by UConn James

The guy is obviously nuts. Politics aside.

He could have just as easily rented a Uhaul truck and driven it through the parking lot at 60MPH into the line of people and did the same amount of damage. It isn't a gun issue either.

By some trying to lay blame on a certain faction of people only justifies those same people to harden their stance and trust even less. Over the weekend there are probably 20 other crazy people that have murdered someone or multiple people. They just didn't happen under one roof or involve a member of congress.

The idea of 'taking aim' at a candidate is a common political metaphor from both sides.

Arguing whether the guy was 'left' or 'right' is a waste of time. This is a guy that listed Mein Kempf AND the Communist Manifesto among his influences, and worried about the One World government and currency, government mind control programs, and the end of the world in 2012, AND has held a grudge againsf Giffords since 2007 when she answered a question of his in what he felt was an unsatisfactory manner.

That's not a leftist or rightist philosophy. That's a 'full goose looney, forgot to take my trazodone' philosophy.

The idea of 'taking aim' at a candidate is a common political metaphor from both sides.

Arguing whether the guy was 'left' or 'right' is a waste of time. This is a guy that listed Mein Kempf AND the Communist Manifesto among his influences, and worried about the One World government and currency, government mind control programs, and the end of the world in 2012, AND has held a grudge againsf Giffords since 2007 when she answered a question of his in what he felt was an unsatisfactory manner.

That's not a leftist or rightist philosophy. That's a 'full goose looney, forgot to take my trazodone' philosophy.

I wrote the same thing upthread, that from the reading list you can tell there's obvious loose wiring. Some people are just continuing to parrot the false assumption that the shooter must've been a rightie or affiliated with Republican groups b/c the victims were left-of-center. It can't compute to them that what was on display was the politics of Crazy.