Arizona congresswoman among 18 shot at Tucson grocery

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this has anything to do with partisan politics it will be one of the darkest days in US history. This is the path that party bickering can lead to....

It has nothing to do with politics. It has everything to do with hate. The suspect's favorite books are listed as Mein Kampf and The Communist Manifesto among others that one struggles to fit together into any single ideology besides Hate.

Even in partisan politics, the goal is to defeat at the ballot box, not to gun the opposition down on a street corner.

This only goes to show that , even for federal judges and U.S. Representatives, personal security is self-help and no amount of police presence will fully stop someone who's hell-bent.

You're going to look even more like an idiot when it's revealed that this guy's just a crazy domestic terrorist.

Is it still possible for Hedd to look like more of an idiot? I thought he had reached the ceiling a while back.

It has nothing to do with politics. It has everything to do with hate. The suspect's favorite books are listed as Mein Kampf and The Communist Manifesto among others that one struggles to fit together into any single ideology besides Hate.

Even in partisan politics, the goal is to defeat at the ballot box, not to gun the opposition down on a street corner.

This only goes to show that , even for federal judges and U.S. Representatives, personal security is self-help and no amount of police presence will fully stop someone who's hell-bent.

That explains a lot.

How does the communist manifesto fit into an ideology of hate?

It's just sad what the 24 hour news cycle and message boards are starting to feed. To get attention you have to make extreme statements and suddenly extremism becomes more and more.... Normal.

I'm not blaming them for this shooting but this culture of fanaticism may help lead us into a scary period. Especially coupled with the challenges we face in the economy moving forward.

The fact that you're politicizing the death of 6 people (including a small girl) makes you a reprehensible person in my book. Quit the agenda for just a half a second and have some !@#$ing respect.

+100000000000000000000000000000000

It's just sad what the 24 hour news cycle and message boards are starting to feed. To get attention you have to make extreme statements and suddenly extremism becomes more and more.... Normal.

I'm not blaming them for this shooting but this culture of fanaticism may help lead us into a scary period. Especially coupled with the challenges we face in the economy moving forward.

Kind of funny the site is bare bones right now! I mean, you cannot blame them, they're being linked to the shooting by this. But, it does not mean they're guilty or liable, it's just one of those things.

However, if Rush Limbaugh had a poster like this targeting people or Pelosi's crew the same I think this would be looked at much differently.

How does the communist manifesto fit into an ideology of hate?

It is a work that emphasizes an Us/Them polemic. It may be rather broad in its stroke and may not call for violent overthrow (or maybe it does... never read it), but you can't deny that many have used it to justify horrific acts. Murder of Nicholas II and the Bolshevik Revolution, Stalin's reign, Castro/Che.

Not saying that Communism is inherently hateful, and anyway, that's not the point here. His reading list / favorite texts is just a complete mish-mash in a 'Fifteen of these things are not like the others, fifteen of these things do not belong'... which might be an indication of what his head is. It just speaks to me of a very directionless person whose only real direction was acting on Hate. The suspect was virulently anti-bible/religion, his videos also feature stuff about a new currency, etc. Very weird. If I had to guess, I don't think we're talking about right or left here; he has all the hallmarks of an anarchist who hates any kind of organized society.

It is a work that emphasizes an Us/Them polemic. It may be rather broad in its stroke and may not call for violent overthrow (or maybe it does... never read it), but you can't deny that many have used it to justify horrific acts. Murder of Nicholas II and the Bolshevik Revolution, Stalin's reign, Castro/Che.

Not saying that Communism is inherently hateful, and anyway, that's not the point here. His reading list / favorite texts is just a complete mish-mash in a 'Fifteen of these things are not like the others, fifteen of these things do not belong'... which might be an indication of what his head is. It just speaks to me of a very directionless person whose only real direction was acting on Hate. The suspect was virulently anti-bible/religion, his videos also feature stuff about a new currency, etc. Very weird. If I had to guess, I don't think we're talking about right or left here; he has all the hallmarks of an anarchist who hates any kind of organized society.

Sounds like the Bible

Sounds like the Bible

Can we stop this train before it derails? Many people died. Including a 9 year old girl.

Let's keep the religious nonsense out of here. I'd love to say let's keep the political nonsense out as well but by the nature of the event I'm afraid that's not possible.

[partly copied from my post on the OTW forum]

[The suspect's] reading list / favorite texts is just a complete mish-mash in a 'Fifteen of these things are not like the others, fifteen of these things do not belong' --- Mein Kampf, The Communist Manifesto, among others --- which might be an indication of what his head is. It just speaks to me of a very directionless person whose only real direction was acting on Hate. It's being said the suspect is virulently anti-bible/religion, his videos also feature stuff about a new (global?) currency, etc. Very weird.

If I had to guess, I don't think we're talking about right or left here; he has all the hallmarks of an anarchist who hates any kind of organized society.

It's beyond stupid to link this lone wolf to a political designation. It would seem he didn't exactly believe in the political/democratic process. Count on Bishop to hit below the belt every time. If this were a Republican politician shot by a minority, vouchsafe that these conclusions wouldn't be thrown out so fast by him and several other posters here. Why don't we wait until we know something?

That said, I am very uncomfortable when politicians/parties/media use that kind of language during election seasons. It was completely inappropriate before this, and one would hope these dumb catch phrases get rooted out.

Edited by UConn James

Can we stop this train before it derails? Many people died. Including a 9 year old girl.

Let's keep the religious nonsense out of here. I'd love to say let's keep the political nonsense out as well but by the nature of the event I'm afraid that's not possible.

Oh, people died so you can decide what we post about? <_<

You have to excuse Dave. He's too partisan to realize he's part of the problem.

A federal district judge was killed, too...that's no small thing.