Obama wants to assign you an internet ID

We are not talking about a national ID card

. We are not talking about a government-controlled system. What we are talking about is enhancing online security and privacy, and reducing and perhaps even eliminating the need to memorize a dozen passwords

So they're talking about doing what, exactly? Government-run Facebook (as I can log in to damn near half the sites I know with a Facebook ID)? Or government-run PGP and client-side certificates?

!@#$ing mongoloid pinhead government ****heads have nothing better to do than reinvent the !@#$ing wheel. :wallbash:

So they're talking about doing what, exactly? Government-run Facebook (as I can log in to damn near half the sites I know with a Facebook ID)? Or government-run PGP and client-side certificates?

!@#$ing mongoloid pinhead government ****heads have nothing better to do than reinvent the !@#$ing wheel. :wallbash:

There's also a program called LastPass that stores your passwords and can do automatic log-in.

But I'm sure govt could do half as good a job at 18,000,000 times the cost.

I'm sure all the hard core leftists who were in hysterics over Bush's Patriot Act will be here momentarily to harshly denouce this idea.

Link

I'm not sure if I'm a hard-core leftist (some people tend to label anyone who recognized the damage Bush was doing to this country as a "hard-core leftist"), but I didn't like aspects of the Patriot Act and I don't like this proposal, either.

I at first believed the BS hogwash that it was just going to be a safer way to protect your identity online kind of thing that was softly expressed by the Gov. I just read a few more articles about it, ones I originally thought just wanted to slam the current admin, but jesus this is scarey.

Anyone who is not terrified of this is a flippin moron. Anyone who thinks this is going to work is even more crazy - what happens if you circumvent this system? Do you really go to prison?

I at first believed the BS hogwash that it was just going to be a safer way to protect your identity online kind of thing that was softly expressed by the Gov. I just read a few more articles about it, ones I originally thought just wanted to slam the current admin, but jesus this is scarey.

Anyone who is not terrified of this is a flippin moron. Anyone who thinks this is going to work is even more crazy - what happens if you circumvent this system? Do you really go to prison?

1. Calm down. There will be no going to prison. There will be fire Obama and his commerce secretary, or whatever other politician tries to continue this buffoonery, looooong before anybody goes to prison.

2. The stated vehicle for this working is: the private sector. If nobody shows up, there is no solution. No solution, and this whole thing is a waste of tax payer money and commerce department resources. Therefore, it must be made attractive to private sector software/infrastructure companies. This is where you should focus your attention. If something sketchy happens, this is where it will be.

3. Ask yourself: who are you more afraid of? Microsoft storing these IDs, or, the government storing them? I am certain there will be some protocol for creating them that will be a government thing, but, storing them and whatever other data goes with them, like passwords, and processing them in relation to accessing some online entity, I am betting that is going to be the private sector. Provided this works at all, of course.

A long time ago, there was this company that produced this thing called Gator. Gator stored all your passwords and it was free to use. What the Gator company didn't tell anyone was that along with the free password software, spyware was installed.

I wonder. Does the government think that we are dumb enough to forget Gator? If these IDs can be accessed, what else about them can be accessed. What peripheral data will be accessed also under the guise of "protecting the ID". Hell, technically you could justify scanning my entire machine for viruses, in an effort to "protect the ID".

In just this little bit of time I have raised enough issues, and cast enough aspersions, :D, all designed to tweak the sensibilities of both the left and the right, that killing this thing should be easy. All that needs to be done is follow this post and it will die.

Edited by OCinBuffalo