paralyzed Rutgers football player, regains full sensation

The 41,000 fans at New Meadowlands Stadium let out a collective gasp on Oct. 16 as Rutgers defensive lineman Eric LeGrand lay motionless on the field with a severe neck injury that doctors feared had left him paralyzed from the neck down.

Nearly three months later, there's good news: LeGrand has regained full sensation throughout his entire body and can now move his shoulders, the university reported on its website Wednesday.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/2011/01/06/2011-01-06_eric_legrand_paralyzed_rutgers_football_player_regains_full_sensation_throughout.html#ixzz1ALPoyKVH

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

This is great news!

Warning: LAMP

I have a hauntingly familiar history here. Broke/separated my neck at the C-3/C-4 vertebre playing football back in '85, with no feeling from the neck down. I saw my arms go up and down as teammates gathered around and tried to help me up, but I didn't feel anything.. I was taken to Crouse-Irving hospital in Syracuse, 'halo'ed up and entered the 'Quad' ward for re-hab. My hands were completely crippled up and I couldn't move my legs & feet. Thing is, I could always feel sensation in my legs, even though they wouldn't move. Drs. told my family to 'humor him about this..' I kept feeling my legs getting stronger (I could begin to twitch my thighs on demand) and after about 10 days I finally convinced my favorite nurse to try to help me stand. She came back with 4 other nurses and together helped me into a sitting position, then into an upright position with all of them holding tightly all around me. It was the craziest sensation I have ever felt, as I could fell my body shifting through my legs down to my feet and the floor beneath them. The Nurses began to let off on their support as they realized I was not crumbling to the floor. The thrill quickly dissipated as I felt myself losing balance. They all re-grabbed me but the bed rolled away behind me and we all gently tumbled to the floor -Ha! The next morning I had about 15 'suits' (lawyers/legal reps) come to my room, wanting me to sign that I gave permission to the nurses, etc.. I said "Ask them if I stood! I did, and we need to begin therapy accordingly!" Longer story short. I walked out of the hospital -albeit woobly and with 2 canes, three months later. To see me today, you'd never know it, though there are some lingering effects neurologically. The impact separated the bone and bruised/contused the spinal cord, but didn't puncture or tear it. That's the key! I'm sure something close to this happened to the Rutgers player.

As for the play my injury happened on, it was practice. I was QB and we were working on that 'sweep right-throw back to the QB alone down the other sideline' play. After delaying in the backfield, I stumbled getting going and as I caught my balance and looked up, there was our best OLB drifting my way looking back at the RB turning to look for a receiver. I had less than a split second to lower my head in preparation for major impact. The hit was directly on the top of my head and the vertabre split beneath from the impact.

Of little consequence, i knocked 2 teeth out our LB's mouth..

This is great news!

Warning: LAMP

I have a hauntingly familiar history here. Broke/separated my neck at the C-3/C-4 vertebre playing football back in '85, with no feeling from the neck down. I saw my arms go up and down as teammates gathered around and tried to help me up, but I didn't feel anything.. I was taken to Crouse-Irving hospital in Syracuse, 'halo'ed up and entered the 'Quad' ward for re-hab. My hands were completely crippled up and I couldn't move my legs & feet. Thing is, I could always feel sensation in my legs, even though they wouldn't move. Drs. told my family to 'humor him about this..' I kept feeling my legs getting stronger (I could begin to twitch my thighs on demand) and after about 10 days I finally convinced my favorite nurse to try to help me stand. She came back with 4 other nurses and together helped me into a sitting position, then into an upright position with all of them holding tightly all around me. It was the craziest sensation I have ever felt, as I could fell my body shifting through my legs down to my feet and the floor beneath them. The Nurses began to let off on their support as they realized I was not crumbling to the floor. The thrill quickly dissipated as I felt myself losing balance. They all re-grabbed me but the bed rolled away behind me and we all gently tumbled to the floor -Ha! The next morning I had about 15 'suits' (lawyers/legal reps) come to my room, wanting me to sign that I gave permission to the nurses, etc.. I said "Ask them if I stood! I did, and we need to begin therapy accordingly!" Longer story short. I walked out of the hospital -albeit woobly and with 2 canes, three months later. To see me today, you'd never know it, though there are some lingering effects neurologically. The impact separated the bone and bruised/contused the spinal cord, but didn't puncture or tear it. That's the key! I'm sure something close to this happened to the Rutgers player.

As for the play my injury happened on, it was practice. I was QB and we were working on that 'sweep right-throw back to the QB alone down the other sideline' play. After delaying in the backfield, I stumbled getting going and as I caught my balance and looked up, there was our best OLB drifting my way looking back at the RB turning to look for a receiver. I had less than a split second to lower my head in preparation for major impact. The hit was directly on the top of my head and the vertabre split beneath from the impact.

Of little consequence, i knocked 2 teeth out our LB's mouth..

Whoah, close call. Glad you're ok!