Nice reader comment on CNN's Website

Nervous Guy

The story is amusing but a reader comment about the story made me laugh:

Story Link: ESPN announcer dismissed over comments

READER Comment:

mrrusss

In fact I'm sick of any group crying. You can not tolerate disrespect, that's fine, but don't bring up a person's group. In fact, officially, from now on NO ONE gets to cry. NO ONE is oppressed, and NO ONE gets special treatment. It is now equally sh*tty and hard for everyone. Except Buffalo Bills fans. They get a break.

:lol: .... :bag:

The story is amusing but this comment made me laugh:

Story Link: ESPN announcer dismissed over comments

Comment:

mrrusss

In fact I'm sick of any group crying. You can not tolerate disrespect, that's fine, but don't bring up a person's group. In fact, officially, from now on NO ONE gets to cry. NO ONE is oppressed, and NO ONE gets special treatment. It is now equally sh*tty and hard for everyone. Except Buffalo Bills fans. They get a break.

:lol: .... :bag:

Jeez...that is funny...I chuckled at Franklin's comment...too bad it cost him his job...that is just silly!

Jeez...that is funny...I chuckled at Franklin's comment...too bad it cost him his job...that is just silly!

The ONLY organization I've ever heard of that fires somebody for a single moment's indiscretion is Disney...

...oh, yeah. Never mind.

The OP is confusing; just to clarify, the announcer did not make the comment about the Bills. Also, this was the 2nd time he'd been reprimanded for something like this, so it's not surprising they fired him.

Listen Bub, if making a coherent post was so easy then even a caveman could do it...wait...oh...never mind.

...corrected by a caveman...the shame of it all. :blush::bag:

The OP is confusing; just to clarify, the announcer did not make the comment about the Bills. Also, this was the 2nd time he'd been reprimanded for something like this, so it's not surprising they fired him.

Nervous Guy was reprimanded for a confusing post and was fired? :unsure:

Listen Bub, if making a coherent post was so easy then even a caveman could do it...wait...oh...never mind.

...corrected by a caveman...the shame of it all. :blush::bag:

You ought to be used to it. I've been correcting you for yeards.

Having a daughter, I'm sympathetic to women's issues and think sexual harassment should be taken seriously, but GMAFB here. Firing a guy for saying "sweet cakes" or some such thing as that? Oh right, he called some girl "sweetheart" five years ago. Stop the !@#$ing presses.

This goes beyond protecting women from harassment and wades over into the territory of condescendingly patting them on the head and babbling in baby talk not to worry little girl cause we'll protect you from the mean man. If you expect to be taken seriously in life you need to be able to handle a situation like that on your own instead of acting according to the stereotype that you're trying to defy.

indeed...it was quite a blow to my self of steam. :cry:

You ought to be used to it. I've been correcting you for yeards.

I keep telling you...it's a real frickin' word!!!!

Noun

yeard (plural yeards)

(archaic) Alternative form of yard.

Franklin and Edwards were scheduled to work together for Friday's Chik-fil-A Bowl and the incident occurred in a pre-game production meeting also attended by ESPN announcers Ed Cunningham and Rod Gilmore.

When the conversation turned to the subject of Gilmore's wife Marie being elected mayor of Alameda, Calif., Edwards tried to join in but was shut down by Franklin, according to the report.

“Why don’t you leave this to the boys, sweetcakes,” Franklin told her.

“Don’t call me sweetcakes, I don’t like being talked to like that,” Edwards responded.

Franklin then said, “OK then, a**hole."

I don't think calling someone Sweet-cakes should get you fired- but coming back with A**hole probably should also "Why don't you leave this to the boy" ranks up there with "don't trouble your pretty little head" and "beat it sister this is man talk" unless this guy was pulled out of a bomb shelter where he's been hiding out since the 50s he should know better.

Having a daughter, I'm sympathetic to women's issues and think sexual harassment should be taken seriously, but GMAFB here. Firing a guy for saying "sweet cakes" or some such thing as that? Oh right, he called some girl "sweetheart" five years ago. Stop the !@#$ing presses.

This goes beyond protecting women from harassment and wades over into the territory of condescendingly patting them on the head and babbling in baby talk not to worry little girl cause we'll protect you from the mean man. If you expect to be taken seriously in life you need to be able to handle a situation like that on your own instead of acting according to the stereotype that you're trying to defy.

Edwards defended herself and then Franklin called her an "a--hole." Also, Edwards didn't report the incident to ESPN; a coworker did. She did absolutely nothing wrong. This isn't the first time Franklin has done something like this. His career should be over.

I don't think calling someone Sweet-cakes should get you fired- but coming back with A**hole probably should also "Why don't you leave this to the boy" ranks up there with "don't trouble your pretty little head" and "beat it sister this is man talk" unless this guy was pulled out of a bomb shelter where he's been hiding out since the 50s he should know better.

Dude, that was the best part! :devil:

Franklin is from here, in Austin. He was set to retire in April!

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/content/Image/07-17-2009/Ron-Franklin.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/article/131824&usg=__hZB3XUU3dIL64AkeD0a9Sfvr6ME=&h=250&w=250&sz=23&hl=en&start=4&zoom=1&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=EbotcmAbsLztbM:&tbnh=111&tbnw=111&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dron%2Bfranklin%2Bespn%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG%26tbs%3Disch:1

Edited by Buftex

indeed...it was quite a blow to my self of steam. :cry:

Bet you were boiling mad about that.

I keep telling you...it's a real frickin' word!!!!

Noun

yeard (plural yeards)

(archaic) Alternative form of yard.

Also an alternate form of "year". Verily, it's polymorphic.

I think he was fired for calling her an !@#$ after she asked him nicely not to call her sweetcakes.

That is my understanding.

If I called someone at work "sweetcakes", followed by "!@#$" when she politely objected I would be fired. And rightfully so.

So ethical a caveman could do it.

I doubt it's an ethics thing with ESPN. They just realized that this guy could potentially cost the network a lot more in liability than he is worth (which isn't much IMO.)