A 10 year old girl discovered a supernova

Beerball

I just came up with the cure for cancer and solved world hunger. Next on the "to do" list is to solve nuclear fission.

No, no, no, you're doing it all wrong. Give the people what they want!

MONORAIL. MONORAIL. MONORAIL!

I just came up with the cure for cancer and solved world hunger. Next on the "to do" list is to solve nuclear fission.

Nuclear fission has been "solved" for damn near 90 years, brainiac.

Ten year old girl discovers supernova. You apparently haven't even discovered textbooks. !@#$in' loser. :wallbash:

Nuclear fission has been "solved" for damn near 90 years, brainiac.

Ten year old girl discovers supernova. You apparently haven't even discovered textbooks. !@#$in' loser. :wallbash:

Ban him, you know you want to oh mighty global overlord. I was going to point out ever so gently, you meant fusion, but the likes of this one, well, you know...

Ban him, you know you want to oh mighty global overlord. I was going to point out ever so gently, you meant fusion, but the likes of this one, well, you know...

Nah, he is actually correct ... stupid mistake on my part. If my skin is not thick enough to withstand the comment then I shouldn't be on the board.

Nuclear fusion's been "solved", too.

Is anyone here NOT a :censored:? Anyone? Anyone?

Nah, he is actually correct ... stupid mistake on my part. If my skin is not thick enough to withstand the comment then I shouldn't be on the board.

Oh sure, go ahead and wake up the mother !@#$ing bear and then go happily on your way. He's your responsibility now.

DC Tom...you can't stop him, you can only hope to contain him.

A 10-year-old Canadian girl....

What does Crayonz have to say?

I think the whole thing proves how sad the situation has become. Some call it nature versus nurture. I mean yes, Canadians clearly have genetic defects which render their ceiling lower, but they are still human. Ish. That is nature.

Anyway it is sad that a Canadian kid is smart enough at 10 to take a picture of the sky and make a discovery like this. Well, it is not sad now; but it will be when her best chance for a discovery by the time she is 23 will be to "discover" the tooth that was knocked out when she keeled over and passed out drunk after wandering around Big Lots looking for a few new pair of size XXXXL socks with pictures of moose AND a Maple Leafs logo on them. That is nurture.

Nuclear fusion's been "solved", too.

Is anyone here NOT a :censored:? Anyone? Anyone?

What do you mean by "solved"? I bascially know nothing about the topic, but thought it still wasn't a reasonable form of energy due to the energy needed to accomplish it. If so, that's still a problem that needs to be solved.

Is pointing to a picture of stars and saying "is that one?" really considered a discovery?

Actually, she pointed to two pictures and said "That's not there in the first one".

And yeah, that's a pretty significant discovery. Supernovae (visible ones, at least) aren't all that common, hence not well studied, and distant ones allow better calibration of intergalactic distance measurements. That's one thing I always liked about astronomy: amateurs (even kids, apparently) can and do make meaningful contributions to the field.

The other thing I always liked is "accurate" is defined as "within a factor of ten either way", which is a standard of accuracy on par with "just guess", and hence makes it pretty easy to do.

What do you mean by "solved"? I bascially know nothing about the topic, but thought it still wasn't a reasonable form of energy due to the energy needed to accomplish it. If so, that's still a problem that needs to be solved.

Consider nuclear weapons explode reliably, I'd consider nuclear fusion "solved".

So the bigger question is: what do YOU mean by "solved"? <_<