The optimism has been erased

cage

Once the Bills knew that the Jets were playing Brunell and a bunch of backups, they treated this one like a pre season game.

bull ****. 100% rationalizing bull !@#$ing ****. No one on that team is guaranteed a job next season on this team, much less any other. They had everything in the world to play for both as individuals and as a team. And how about a little pride if nothing else. The other team is fielding scrubs and kicking your ass in every way up and down the field, and openly laughing their asses off at you while doing it.

It was a preseason game for the Jets perhaps. For the Bills it was a very large embarrassment.

God I hate this "they didn't try because the Jets rested players" ****

Edited by CodeMonkey

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The bills had the ball about one minute less than the Pats and Colts this year. Its not about touches, its about making something with them.

You know Fitz was one of the least sacked qb's in the league too.

Guess I'm trying to figure out for sure what you're getting at here?

Why do you think he was one of the least-sacked qb's in the league?

The week before the Miami game, I started a topic stating that the next three games will be critical to either validating or dismissing the optimism about the team and about Fitzpatrick as our long term starter.

Those games have now come and gone and I'll say that the optimism is gone. Leo Roth's 2nd comment on this piece says it all:

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/article/20110104/SPORTS03/101040314/tbd

This team still has an awful long way to go. We need to find a bonafide long-term starter somewhere or we'll continue to flounder and it will be impossible to build a contending team. We cannot afford to trade up to get Luck, it will cost too much for a team that can't afford to give anything and has too many needs.

Our skill position big three Fitz, Fred and Stevie are closer to Frank Reich, Kenneth Davis and Don Beebe than they are to Jim Kelly, Thurman Thomas and Andre Reed. Hardly the players that an ascending future can be built around...

... massively depressed!

If we had a defense that could have held the opposing team to 100 yards rushing, I think the outcome of this season would have been a lot different. Not to mention the Bills NOT being able to rush for at least 100 per game. We suck on so many levels, it's not reasonable to pin the lack of success on Fitz.

bull ****. 100% rationalizing bull !@#$ing ****. No one on that team is guaranteed a job next season on this team, much less any other. They had everything in the world to play for both as individuals and as a team. And how about a little pride if nothing else. The other team is fielding scrubs and kicking your ass in every way up and down the field, and openly laughing their asses off at you while doing it.

It was a preseason game for the Jets perhaps. For the Bills it was a very large embarrassment.

God I hate this "they didn't try because the Jets rested players" ****

Really? You were on the sideline and knew the Bills' approach to the game?

Just for some perspective, about a year ago, all i heard down here was how the Buccs (coming off a 3-13 record in Morris' and Dominik's 1st season and picking 3rd) sucked and Morris should be fired and he was the wrong guy and the Buccs weren't getting any better and were going to win 2 games in 2010, all despite the fact that the Buccs looked markedly better in the seasons second half then they did in the first half.

Someone please tell me how they fared this season?

Edited by Ramius

Guess I'm trying to figure out for sure what you're getting at here?

Why do you think he was one of the least-sacked qb's in the league?

Our Oline wasn't terrible pass blocking, certainly better this year than in the past. Fitz has helped with that, by knowing where to go and delivering the ball. Our Oline is not very good at run blocking at all.

My point is that Fitz has time to throw, in fact, there are many QB who get sacked almost twice as much who do far far better than Fitz.

Fitz's lack of production has much more to do with his talent level and his WRs. You cant even really say its a lack of running production either bc the Colts, Saints and Packers have terrible run games but thrive.

Until the Bills have superior QB play they will never contend for the SB. Yes we can prob make the playoffs as a wild card with upgraded line play, but we wont beat the mannings or bradys of the league.

The week before the Miami game, I started a topic stating that the next three games will be critical to either validating or dismissing the optimism about the team and about Fitzpatrick as our long term starter.

Those games have now come and gone and I'll say that the optimism is gone. Leo Roth's 2nd comment on this piece says it all:

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/article/20110104/SPORTS03/101040314/tbd

This team still has an awful long way to go. We need to find a bonafide long-term starter somewhere or we'll continue to flounder and it will be impossible to build a contending team. We cannot afford to trade up to get Luck, it will cost too much for a team that can't afford to give anything and has too many needs.

Our skill position big three Fitz, Fred and Stevie are closer to Frank Reich, Kenneth Davis and Don Beebe than they are to Jim Kelly, Thurman Thomas and Andre Reed. Hardly the players that an ascending future can be built around...

... massively depressed!

Well John McCargo, Aaron Maybin and Leodis McKelvin do not look anything close to Bruce Smnith, Cornelius Bennett or Nate Odomes. They are not as good as Mike Lodish, Marvcus Patton or Kirby Jackson.

We really need to draft defense.

Edited by Bob in STL

Our Oline wasn't terrible pass blocking, certainly better this year than in the past. Fitz has helped with that, by knowing where to go and delivering the ball. Our Oline is not very good at run blocking at all.

My point is that Fitz has time to throw, in fact, there are many QB who get sacked almost twice as much who do far far better than Fitz.

Fitz's lack of production has much more to do with his talent level and his WRs. You cant even really say its a lack of running production either bc the Colts, Saints and Packers have terrible run games but thrive.

Until the Bills have superior QB play they will never contend for the SB. Yes we can prob make the playoffs as a wild card with upgraded line play, but we wont beat the mannings or bradys of the league.

Fitz's lack of production???? What a frikkin absurd statement.

23 touchdowns in 13 games is now considered lack of production???? Seriously, do you really think that???? Please answer this, I want to hear your rational.

I swear, Tom Brady and Peyton Manning have ruined the game for ALL quarterbacks forever going forward because of the unreasonable standards being attached to this position by simple minded fans. These guys are two of the all time greats of this game. It's would be the same as if NBA fans of the 90's would wonder why their star player isn't scoring 35 a night like Michael Jordan.

Edited by 1billsfan

Fitz's lack of production???? What a firkin absurd statement.

23 touchdowns in 13 games is now considered lack of production???? Seriously, do you really think that???? Please answer this, I want to hear your rational.

I swear, Tom Brady and Peyton Manning have ruined the game for ALL quarterbacks forever going forward because of the unreasonable standards being attached to this position by simple minded fans. These guys are two of the all time greats of this game. It's would be the same as if NBA fans of the 90's would wonder why their star player isn't scoring 35 a night like Michael Jordan.

Yea lack of production. he threw a ton of INTs, had an avg yds per game, and the rest of his numbers suck. Dont know about you but i want my QB to be able to have better years than rookie and 2nd year guys (Bradford Freeman) or not have the worst comp pct in the league, well almost

Just for some perspective, about a year ago, all i heard down here was how the Buccs (coming off a 3-13 record in Morris' and Dominik's 1st season and picking 3rd) sucked and Morris should be fired and he was the wrong guy and the Buccs weren't getting any better and were going to win 2 games in 2010, all despite the fact that the Buccs looked markedly better in the seasons second half then they did in the first half.

Someone please tell me how they fared this season?

You don't need to tell anyone that an NFL team can turn things around quickly. The fact that it's happened so many times to so many teams every year only further points to how extraordinarily incompetent you have to be to not make the playoffs in 11 years.

Fitz's lack of production???? What a frikkin absurd statement.

+1

A lot of people keep pointing to the lack of production on offense, lack of scoring, etc., and use it as justification to replace Fitz. Consider that we scored six rushing Touchdowns all year. SIX. All year. Again this is Fitz's fault how? Build the lines, become a complete football team, then worry about getting a franchise QB.

You don't need to tell anyone that an NFL team can turn things around quickly. The fact that it's happened so many times to so many teams every year only further points to how extraordinarily incompetent you have to be to not make the playoffs in 11 years.

You can't pin the previous 10 years of futility on this year's coaching staff. Like it or not, Gailey has simply gone 1 season (the first of a re-build) without making the playoffs, not 10. I dont care if it was 50 years without playoffs, when a new coach/staff comes in, they get a clean slate.

My point was also that the Buccs didnt turn it around until year 2. We just finished year 1.

Edited by Ramius

In the last 3 games the Bills defense gave up about a trillion yards yet the roller coasters can't seem to get past their Luck lust.Fitz has shown me enough this season that I'm willing to give him another year. Have we forgotten that this was yet another year of OL injury carousel? We actually played guys we signed a week earlier!

Perhaps if we're not hemorrhaging points next year the offense will actually get more touches and look even better. Our time of possession differential was atrocious this year and we still managed to win some games.

Ask Ditka how sacrificing your draft for one player works out.

That is true that the defense gave up a buttload of yards all year, but in the last two games alone I think our offense gave the ball away 13 times? Most of them by stupid plays from the QB position. That would be a high number for an entire season on a team that was a serious Super Bowl contender (I think the Pats had 9 all year), so you can't say it was all defense. It is common sense that this teams does and has for years need a NFL caliber quarterback more than anything on the team, and that is saying quite a bit considering how terrible we are at so many positions.

Edited by billsfreak

Overreact much? All it takes is one or two bad games to erase all memory of what went right this year.

What's worse is people don't take into account the injuries that occur. This last game with Brohm should not even matter. Can anyone even name who our WRs were in that game?

Sometimes I feel like we all prefer failure and go looking for it in the good. Its the worst part of being a Bills fan.

PTR

There was nothing that went right this year. Unless you consider being a terrible team from start to finish is going right. Even during the winning streak this was a bad football team.

Were there positives? Absolutely. But I would never classify anything about this team did all year as "right".