Notes from the O-line (from Buffalo Rumblings)

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/billboard/

For those that think Bell did such a great job, here's what Cooter had to say: "On the offensive tackles: "I thought Demetrius (Bell) had an OK year. I didn’t think he had a great year. And I know the injury, he couldn’t practice Wednesdays at all the whole year, and again I’m not trying to make excuses for anybody but I’m just stating facts, he didn’t practice on Wednesdays. I think a year of strength and core development I think will help him tremendously. He missed all of that last year because of the shoulder, he got no upper body work, he got no lower body work and he gutted out the season. He and Eric (Wood) gutted out the season for us and you’ve got to like that about a guy that will do that. But I think his upside is tremendous. The right tackle, I’ll be honest with you, I thought Erik Pears played as well as you could expect the last game and a half he played for us."

Like Cooter, I'm willing to give Bell another shot next year considering he was coming off of shoulder & knee injuries.

Bell only stands to improve when he gets further recovered from his devastating injury that ended his 2009 season. He has improved from a horrible experiment in 2009 to a competent NFL LT in 2010 all this after a terrible injury cut short his 09 season. Thats a huge jump the guy took from 2009 to 2010.

He has another season under his belt (Bell not having played much in college or the NFL) and will only stand to improve once he is further removed from injury. I think we are fine with Bell at LT.

RT is no doubt a need should be addressed in the second round. You could also make the case that RG is a need but I think Handy and Urbik could battle it out for the spot and play OK.

I love how.....

- We know that college OL are going to come in and "piss on" starters.......while I think Constanzo is going to be a good player I have seen SO MANY OTs come in and struggle especially in their first years.....

- We saw Bell do a fine job on several to pass rushers this year.....

- Lets also keep in mind that our RT situation has been bad.....and then couple that with lack of a quality TE to even be able to stay in and chip much less help out Bell on HIS side against premium pass rushers....well you get the story......

- By the way....there is no way to "Overvalue" a 1000 yard season by a late pick wide reciever that couldnt get on the field in his first two years.....that is also quite a accomplishment

- This is the thing about Bell....the guy hasn't even played that much football.....you couple that with the injury.....the lack of being able to practice or biuld strength because of it....then you factor in that he held down the left side. I think you have one hell of a player there. He just needs to keep working to improve and use this offseaosn to biuld strength that he could not do last year.

I love how.....

- We know that college OL are going to come in and "piss on" starters.......while I think Constanzo is going to be a good player I have seen SO MANY OTs come in and struggle especially in their first years.....

- We saw Bell do a fine job on several to pass rushers this year.....

- Lets also keep in mind that our RT situation has been bad.....and then couple that with lack of a quality TE to even be able to stay in and chip much less help out Bell on HIS side against premium pass rushers....well you get the story......

- By the way....there is no way to "Overvalue" a 1000 yard season by a late pick wide reciever that couldnt get on the field in his first two years.....that is also quite a accomplishment

- This is the thing about Bell....the guy hasn't even played that much football.....you couple that with the injury.....the lack of being able to practice or biuld strength because of it....then you factor in that he held down the left side. I think you have one hell of a player there. He just needs to keep working to improve and use this offseaosn to biuld strength that he could not do last year.

The offensive line is the weakest spot on the third weakest team in football. We can argue "who sucks least" on the line til the cows come home, but the bottom line is we are picking third in the draft for a reason. The most critical position on the line is left tackle and Bell was not good enough to start in that position. We need starters and depth on both the offensive and defensive line.

I didn't see Bell getting a bag of votes for the pro bowl.

Christ.....BELL WAS NOT THE WEAK LINK OF OUR LINE.....and that chart does NOT show that he was.....

Dude, yeah... it does. His overall 2010 grade, run (about average) and pass (about horrid) is not anywhere near the kind of performance a winning team can tolerate. But, wait... the Bills are not a winning team, so, I guess he fits in perfectly.

If you want to win, run and pass blocking must be above average from a LT.... and he must excel at one of those two.