My only complaint...

Rubes

Whatever happened to fair-catching punts at the 10 yard line?

157163[/snapback]

When did anyone ever condone calling for a fair catch at the 10? If you can pop one, go, otherwise, wave for a fair catch and run upfield to (hopefully) draw the coverage guys with you. You never take a fair catch at the 10.

When did anyone ever condone calling for a fair catch at the 10?  If you can pop one, go, otherwise, wave for a fair catch and run upfield to (hopefully) draw the coverage guys with you.  You never take a fair catch at the 10.

157209[/snapback]

Are you serious?

Are you serious?

157228[/snapback]

You never take a fair catch at the 10 - and yes, I'm serious. You take the chance that a ball that deep ends up in the endzone for a touchback.

Taking the ball at the 10 isn't the brightest thing to do. Occasionally it wortks out, but is generally discouraged.

You never take a fair catch at the 10 - and yes, I'm serious.  You take the chance that a ball that deep ends up in the endzone for a touchback.

Taking the ball at the 10 isn't the brightest thing to do.  Occasionally it wortks out, but is generally discouraged.

157274[/snapback]

Sorry, man, I gotta disagree with you big time. Fair catching at the 10 happens all the time, and teams most definitely do have their returners call for fair catches in those situations.

Inside the 10, maybe not. Once the returner is down around the 5-10 yard line, the prudent thing is to let the ball go and hope that it rolls into the end zone. But if the returner is somewhere around the 10-15 yard line, you certainly do fair catch it.

The worst thing you can do is to catch it and try to run with it, at least that's the worst choice most of the time. The reason you don't do that is that when the punt returner is positioned at the 10 yard line, that usually means the punting team is punting from somewhere around midfield. That means the coverage team has less field to cover and can get to the returner much earlier. When that happens, the chance of getting levelled right after making the catch is high, and the chance of a fumble is also high.

On both of those punt returns, the receiver caught the punt with Cleveland players right nearby. That is a huge no-no. Those were very clear situations for fair catches, since Cleveland was also in great position to down the ball near the goal line if those punts are not caught.

By the way, I just watched the Green Bay punt returner call for a fair catch at exactly the 10 yard line.

You never take a fair catch at the 10 - and yes, I'm serious.  You take the chance that a ball that deep ends up in the endzone for a touchback.

Taking the ball at the 10 isn't the brightest thing to do.  Occasionally it wortks out, but is generally discouraged.

157274[/snapback]

You can't spell works. Cut him. Gone. Dead weight. And the teacher who taught you to spell that way. Cut. Gone.

I also agree. A fair catch at the 10 is a fair catch at the 10. 99 times out of a hundred, the worst you get is the ball at the 10. Clements can break one at any given time. The Bills have an offense now good enough to pick up a few yards. The defense speaks for itself. Fair catch at the three? No. Ten? Just don't run backwards.

On both of those punt returns, the receiver caught the punt with Cleveland players right nearby. That is a huge no-no. Those were very clear situations for fair catches, since Cleveland was also in great position to down the ball near the goal line if those punts are not caught.

157291[/snapback]

Exactly. Seven times out of 10, those balls get picked up at/roll down to the 1.

It's a MUCH different drive b/w starting at the 10 and starting at the 1. Want to give a DL motivation (especially one as good as CLE)? That's the way. A sack or holding call in the end zone and the game turns.