Wannstedt for D Coordinator

RyanC883

Before you all flame away, consider the following:

1. Out D is terrible. Yes, we have bad players, but we were destroyed by the Jets backups. Time for a new (actual) D coordinator. Our current D coordinator can go back to coaching linebackers.

2. Yes, Wannstedt was a average/below average head coach, but always had strong D's and was a GREAT D coordinator for the Cowboys in the early 90's. (Dick LeBeau was also a below average head coach).

3. Wannstedt is angry at his demotion at Pitt, and would probably love to try another gig in the NFL. He was born and raised in nearby Pittsburgh.

4. If not Wannsteat, who should coach our D? We need new talent, but we need an EXPERIENCED D coordinator to coach them.

Thoughts!

John Fox, Marvin Lewis, or Wade Philips (not gonna happen) would be nice

I'll take any of the above also! (if they would consider it.) I think Fox ends up as a head coach somewhere. I think (hope) Wanny makes a LeBeau style comeback to the NFL.

Wannstedt was a very good DC but he does run the 'Miami 4-3' I suppose we ran the 43 quite a bit this year so maybe it doesn't really matter but for those who don't like small fast guys on D, Dave is not your guy. That is of course he still would run that style of D, not many in the NFL do.

He'd be a great addition, but consider these facts: He has been a head coach for 3 different programs: Chicago and Miami in the NFL, and University of Pittsburgh.

I can't imagine him agreeing to be anything other than a head coach in either the NFL or a college program.

He'd be a great addition, but consider these facts: He has been a head coach for 3 different programs: Chicago and Miami in the NFL, and University of Pittsburgh.

I can't imagine him agreeing to be anything other than a head coach in either the NFL or a college program.

If he wants a HC gig he might have to build his rep back up by building a killer D in the NFL again. If he is holding out for a HC job it will be one with a lower profile than PITT and that can't be an attractive option for him.

Before you all flame away, consider the following:

1. Out D is terrible. Yes, we have bad players, but we were destroyed by the Jets backups. Time for a new (actual) D coordinator. Our current D coordinator can go back to coaching linebackers.

2. Yes, Wannstedt was a average/below average head coach, but always had strong D's and was a GREAT D coordinator for the Cowboys in the early 90's. (Dick LeBeau was also a below average head coach).

3. Wannstedt is angry at his demotion at Pitt, and would probably love to try another gig in the NFL. He was born and raised in nearby Pittsburgh.

4. If not Wannsteat, who should coach our D? We need new talent, but we need an EXPERIENCED D coordinator to coach them.

Thoughts!

:worthy::thumbsup:

I'd love to see Wanny roaming the Bills sidelines ad DC next year. The choice to bring in successful qualified coordinators certainly worked in KC this past season don't you think?? :doh: Scott Pioli saw his young HC struggle through his first season and brought in his old buddies Weiss and Crommel to surround him with veteran SB winning offensive and defensive coordinators. Wanny won at least one SB as Dallas DC way back when the Cowboys beat our beloved Bills in the early 90's, so absolutely get him in here to clean up this horrid defense!

i thought lewis's wife didnt like bflo?

Do you think she really thought Cinci was better?

I believe the anti-Buffalo thing was sour grapes when Lewis didn't get the head coaching gig back in 2001. What I heard was that Gregg, who was an underdog at the time for the job, really blew Donahoe away in his interview. Meanwhile, Lewis, was perhaps over-confident that the job was going to be his (remember, Donahoe had even waited until after the Super Bowl to interview him), and showed up with a "You sell ME on the job" kind of attitude that turned Donahoe off. When Lewis didn't get the job, he and his agent (who went so far as to accuse the team of being racist) started a smear campaign against the Bills and the city of Buffalo in general. His winless record against the Bills (0-5, I believe) was his just deserves.

If we replace Edwards for his D finishing 24th in the league, do we also replace Gailey for his O finishing 25th? If Gailey gets dethroned as OC, how can he have legitimacy as HC?

I'm sure if you exclude the few games Edwards/Brohm started our O finishes much higher (mid-teens prob). I like Gailey, and we scored over 30 pts many times this year with a terrible O-line, one good WR (Johnson) and not much help from the O-line. At any rate, my main point is our D needs help, finished LAST against the run, an excellent DC may be available, go get him!