With the Merriman signing...

gumby

What are the possibilities now that the Bills signed a pass rushing OLB they might feel better about drafting a QB first?

I'm not a fan of this idea but I can see the Bills picking Cam Newton now if he's still available when the Bills pick.

What are the possibilities now that the Bills signed a pass rushing OLB they might feel better about drafting a QB first?

I'm not a fan of this idea but I can see the Bills picking Cam Newton now if he's still available when the Bills pick.

You are out of your mind. Loosen the belt around your neck a little bit.

you've gotta think the bills have a pretty good idea that merriman can get healthy for next year. this should not stop them from getting a couple more playmakers on this defense to make it legit. we need to find out what scheme they are going to use and then we can determine who to draft. if we go 4-3 then we go get fairley and have a nast def line.

I don't think the Bills will go OLB with first pick. I could see something like Nick Fairley but given what the draft has to offer, I think if the Bills go LB, it will be in round 3. In early part of the season, for what it's worth, Ralph said that getting a franchise QB was job #1, and while I like Fitz, that still seems to be priority number one...until Ralph comes out to say something different. I would prefer a big DT like Fairley or Marcel Dareus (if he comes out) but could hardly argue with virtually any position they draft except WR, RB, or DB (which includes Safeties). I realize there are many people that will flame away at this notion, but I would really like to see the Bills try and draft Delone Carter as while Freddy has been great and he doesn't have a lot of yards on his legs, Carter is the prototypical hard, straight line runner that is a balance to Spiller's "shake-n-bake" style of running and he would have a little time to develop as Fred is good for at least another year. QB should be addressed at some point, but don't forget that Gailey mentioned after last year's draft that they liked Levi Brown and wanted to work with him to develop him for the future...now that he's actually ON the roster, maybe that is still the plan. Either way, after today, I think we'll have a better idea of what they're actually thinking....and if Brohm bombs out, all the more!

I don't think anything changes. There is no guarantee Merriman comes back 100%. They still draft D.

PTR

This.

The Merriman signing has very little impact on the plan. I think our pick will be independent of this. If we end up with a QB in the first, then that is where we were going all along. Even more accurately, there is no way to tell who will fall to us, or where we even pick right now, so I think the "plan" stays the same.

Edited by DrDankenstein

I think the only thing that changes is they may pick a def lineman/end instead of a LB.

Or may make trading down more likely You want to pick the best player available, (or within a couple of what you rate as the best) but if its' in a position you don't need, then maybe you trade down.

Persoanlly I'd like to see them trade down. With a loss today and win by Denver which could havppen the Bills are picking #3. If they traded down to say around # 7 thru 10, likely they could pick up an extra #2 and #3 or a second #1 next year.