Yo...Chef. America's Cup heading your way in 2013

Beerball

I haven't followed the America's Cup in a bunch of years since all the confusing syndicates got innvolved... Answer me this... How can this be?

"The city beat out Newport, R.I., and Italy to host sailing's premier regatta,..."

Rhode Island and Italy... Huh? How are those get juxtaposed? I know Newport has all the history of the first +100 years of the cup, how can they ever bring it back there? BORING. I thought the last winning country usually picked their home country to host and in the case of a country like a Switzerland based syndicate (land-locked)... They were usually picking somebody close like say off the coast of Europe (say France, Spain or Italy) somewhere. How do they get to a conclusion like Italy or Rhode Island??? They are a world apart!

:wallbash::blink:

Of course I got no problem with the Bay Area, that seems to be a great location and refreshing since the Cup was hosted on the West Coast (San Diego) after we won the Cup back from the Aussies in the 1980's.

But Italy??? What am I missing here??? Isn't the Med Sea known for very light wind/air??? Wouldn't that be boring??? The strong breezes off the Bay Area should make it a great event.

Question... Could a team ever bring it to say the Great Lakes or another inland body of water? That would be cool and different.

I never even knew it was up for negotiation - I always thought the winners decided where they would defend the Cup. (Isn't that how Dennis Conner got it for San Diego, after Newport and the NYYC lost the Cup to Australia?)

Seems that since Oracle's Larry Ellison spent all that money to win it, it's only natural that San Francisco should host the GGYC defense. Should be a helluva party in EssEff! :beer:

I can't wait. I love sailing and the bay is some of the world's best. We're only concerned because our favorite local watering hole could be in danger of being part of the renovation. It's right on the edge of one of the piers they're going to redo. We talked to the owner and he said he may be ok seeing he has a long lease and he's just on the corner of the pier. Red's Java House however will most likely be gone. :(

SF was the front runner all along. And yes the winner gets to pick where the next event will be held and they can pick anyplace just like the Olympics and the Word Cup. They kind of make you jump through hoops to get the event. I'm just glad they're going with a smaller class of boats. The 140 foot boats they used for this last one are just insane. Not to mention too big for the bay. It's a good win for the city. Don't !@#$ it up San Francisco.