My take on the 2010 season

Justice

POSITIVES

OFFENSE

1. Stevie Johnson, David Nelson and Donald Jones look very promising at the WR position. This unit can be a strength going into the future!

2. Fitzpatrick looks like he can be a good QB. I'm looking forward to RF having a full off-season as the man.

3. Demetrius Bell was serviceable at LT, this year. I hope he can take that next step. He could be a good one.

4. Levitre and Wood are okay. I'd like to see them bulk up and gain some strength, next year.

DEFENSE

1.The youngsters Moats, Troup, and Carrington have potential. I liked what I saw out of these guys.

2. Kyle Williams is a beast! Put someone next to him that can free up #95 and he can be a real force!

3. Our secondary will be scary good with a better pass rush. Re-sign Wilson, Florence and Youboty. Let Whitner test the open market and then offer him no more than $5 mil a season. If he leaves, so be it, he's no real loss.

NEGATIVES

1. Spiller let me down, this season, we need to see more in 2011.

2. Our run defense was horrible all year long.

3. We need to get more production out of our TE position.

4. Our pass rush is weak, as well.

IDEAS FOR THE FUTURE

1. Poz, Stroud, Kelsay, Adoyele, Davis, McCargo, and Maybin are all horrible and need to be let go. Use this freed up money on defensive free agents and draft heavy on the defensive side of the ball.

2. Bring in a new defensive coordinator. Someone with some experience.

3. Draft a QB, preferably Mallett, (Luck won't be there when we pick), with our first round pick and let Fitzy start the next year or two while we groom our QB of the future. We have some young stars in the making on offense and we can afford to wait a couple of years for our new QB to be ready.

4. Sign Owen Daniels to man the TE position. He will finally be healthy next year and can be a great help on offense and we won't have to break the bank to sign him.

5. Extend Stevie Johnson, NOW! He's only going to get better!

I agree with your ideas. We should get a much better Defensive coordinator in here. Unless Nix and Gailey see a lot more than we do, and Edwards is really the next up and coming coordinator - because I've seen it done on other teams recently, where they get a new coordinator and that very year their defense is top 5. I'd like that kind of success here, and that would also mean bringing in at least two new linebackers, maybe three, depending on whether or not we keep Poz. There's still hope Batten will be good, and Moats is nice. Still, I'd like to see a really good DE, a real force at NT if we are going to play the 3-4 as a base (although, again, the kid we brought in from Oakland might be good), and a beast ILB and OLB.

TE and either really good LT, moving Bell to right tackle spot, or a good RT, and we'd be fine. Of course, if they see their QB of the future out there in the draft this year, and they really believe he could be their franchise QB for the next decade, then I'd say go after him with whatever they could manage for leverage.

I hope we see real progress this offseason, because I like what I saw from these guys this year. I don't believe you need to take 3-4 years to turn a team around, though. I think it shouldn't be unreasonable to expect to see a competitive, playoff calibre team in year 2, and that is what I really want to see in 2011 - as do we all.