Don't Be Surprised If...........................

H2o

On any other team who is in our situation, doing something this incredibly stupid would not even be discussed. But with the Bills, no stupid move should be left out of the equation.

I like to think that since we have been purged of Dick Levy, something as insane as this wouldn't happen, but who really knows?

What I will say is that if we draft a first round defensive back or running back, this franchise is essentially finished.

And don't forget - special teams are important. Maybe we go for a blue-chip long-snapper or punter.

:doh:

The difference maker that this secondary needs is a defensive line that can get to the quarterback, plain and simple. Make it so that these DBs don't have to cover guys all day long and you'll see a remarkable improvement in secondary play.

I generally agree with this, but if there isn't a clear elite contributor who can play in the front seven when the Bills are on the clock, I'd rather they take an elite cover corner who could shutdown every other teams top receiver. A lot more info will pour in before the draft, but right now there appears to be 4-5 elite front 7 guys. If they are gone, Id rather see them grab a corner than reach for a QB, or take an elite WR like Aj green. I don't see this as too likely unless the Bills win this Sunday and drop to the 9th pick.

That's thinking outside the box. I'm putting a big fat BUST label on McKelvin's forehead. Not my first choice, but I can see this happening.

mckelvin a bust absolutly ridiculous. this was his second year in the NFL he lost last year to a broken leg.

there is no way in hell we will draft a CB with our first pick absolutly none its an absolutly ridiculous idea and will never happen.

mckelvin a bust absolutly ridiculous. this was his second year in the NFL he lost last year to a broken leg.

there is no way in hell we will draft a CB with our first pick absolutly none its an absolutly ridiculous idea and will never happen.

Nope. Sorry, he's a bust. What's he done for this team, besides fumbling the ball on kick returns? A whopping 2 INTs in his entire career? He's played in 31 games. That's enough to make a snap judgement.

Lemme guess. You one of those lame fans that's still waiting for Maybin to turn it around? :wallbash:

Edited by DreReed83

I generally agree with this, but if there isn't a clear elite contributor who can play in the front seven when the Bills are on the clock, I'd rather they take an elite cover corner who could shutdown every other teams top receiver.

In that scenario I'd rather they go offensive line. If the Bills draft pick is below 270 lbs. I will be disappointed.

Chan is going to beg for front seven players that can stop the run and rush the passer.....he mentions it in nearly every press conference......

And he loves Fitz....I fully expect Nix to make a boring pick of a defensive linemen and it will the be the right pick. OR I expect him to trade down and make a boring pick of a linemen and go heavy on defense in this draft.

Nix is a very smart drafter

Wouldn't hate the pick but wouldn't love it either. We need a prime time pass rusher and if we can get a guy like that ahead of him I think we need to go that way. However McGee is getting older, McKelvin is an enigma at best, and Florence is a good role player but is older so CB while not a pressing need is somewhat of a need.

All in all we need front 7 more but you have to factor in talent available at each position.

Wide Recievers and Running backs are the most overrated positions in the NFL. You win and lose in the trenches. We all know this after watching the Bills the last decade or so. Bowers , Fairley or Dareus must be the pick. Even if Andrew Luck somehow falls , I wouldn't be completely outraged if we grab him , as long as the D-line is addressed.

Chan is going to beg for front seven players that can stop the run and rush the passer.....he mentions it in nearly every press conference......

And he loves Fitz....I fully expect Nix to make a boring pick of a defensive linemen and it will the be the right pick. OR I expect him to trade down and make a boring pick of a linemen and go heavy on defense in this draft.

Nix is a very smart drafter

You're basing that on what exactly? The only draft he's run was below average at best -- catastrophic at worst.

The OP reminds me of last year. Around this time there was a similar post saying that CJ Spiller should be given a look despite having not one, but two thousand yard rushers already on the roster. I remember laughing, thinking that would never happen. They couldn't be that thick. But then, that idea became more and more popular. Then finally, the Bills actually did it. :wallbash:

So, that being said, it wouldn't shock me that they did pick him. And it wouldn't shock me if this idea spawns a legion of followers that will explain the logic of it and tell us all to trust in Nix's plan. But, like the Spiller pick, it'd be further proof that this Front Office just doesn't understand how to build a winning football team.

Edited by tgreg99

+1 --- You can have Darrell Green and Deion Sanders as your starting cornerbacks and they aren't going to do sh-- if Brady has 7 seconds to throw everytime he drops back.

Plus, the Bills don't seem to have a problem finding quality cornerbacks. I see them starting for other teams all over the league (pretty nice game by that #26 for the Vikings last night). Stud defensive linemen on the other hand, aren't typically found on the waiver wire.

This....

I understand everyones frustration and I know that football is won or lost from the inside out but if there is a CB that the scouts have as a pro bowler and a guy that will start for your team next year you take him. The problem with the last few drafts ( I am not counting Spiller ) Maybin and McKelvin is that they were project players that were great athletes but had to transition to the NFL game. I haven't given up on McKelvin as yet but I do understand why fans would be luke warm to say the least. As for Maybin, I am praying that the move to the 3-4 will pay off for him next year. I need to pray because that is the only way miracles happen.

If Peterson is expected to come in and be your best corner today then I have no problem with that pick. Use the rest of the draft to beef up and hopefully use FA to fill out the rest. We have seen FA come to Buffalo in the past if the money is right the problem is our pro scouting department sucked rocks. Hopefully this has changed, although there were a few misses in that department this year already albeit in a very thin FA market.

That's some rational thinking right there agargin - not welcome here! J//k of course i like all u had to say.

Again i doubt peterson falls to us so hopefully the anxiety all you feel is moot.

But the OP pointed out something - he suggested AJ Smith followed Nix's lead while Nix was there. It got me thinking about this past year's draft - Nix drafted a RB, Smith drafted a RB. both in the first round. Both (arguably) underacheived. Weird huh?

That's some rational thinking right there agargin - not welcome here! J//k of course i like all u had to say.

Again i doubt peterson falls to us so hopefully the anxiety all you feel is moot.

But the OP pointed out something - he suggested AJ Smith followed Nix's lead while Nix was there. It got me thinking about this past year's draft - Nix drafted a RB, Smith drafted a RB. both in the first round. Both (arguably) underacheived. Weird huh?

At least we didn't trade up to get Spiller as the Chargers did for Mathews. He did get hurt and then lost his job when Tolbert came in and did well. They traded up to fill a position of need when low and behold they had an undrafted guy that could come in and do fine. Apparently Mathews is starting this week, I believe he was doing ok until he got hurt, so we will see.

I guess they thought they were a SB team that needed to replace LT. Drafting players is hard in the NFL

Edited by agardin

On any other team who is in our situation, doing something this incredibly stupid would not even be discussed. But with the Bills, no stupid move should be left out of the equation.

I like to think that since we have been purged of Dick Levy, something as insane as this wouldn't happen, but who really knows?

What I will say is that if we draft a first round defensive back or running back, this franchise is essentially finished.

Edited by Cadidliac

Nope. Sorry, he's a bust. What's he done for this team, besides fumbling the ball on kick returns? A whopping 2 INTs in his entire career? He's played in 31 games. That's enough to make a snap judgement.

Lemme guess. You one of those lame fans that's still waiting for Maybin to turn it around? :wallbash:

I'm not saying he's not a bust, but he has 4 pics in 31 games not 2.

The difference maker that this secondary needs is a defensive line that can get to the quarterback, plain and simple. Make it so that these DBs don't have to cover guys all day long and you'll see a remarkable improvement in secondary play.

Exactly. Build from the lines out is a common cliché for a reason - it has merit.

A stellar o-line can make an average running back look like a star (see Denver's string of plug & play 1000+ rushers), and a dominant d-line can suddenly improve the defensive backfield tenfold. Pressure the opposing QB and watch the bad throws off the wrong foot, errant high floater passes, fumbled balls, midreads where routes get jumped, etc.

The Bills front seven is the glaring need on this team. Decent OLBs can help the DBs in passing situations and give run support. Kyle Williams can't do it all by himself. He needs help stopping the run. I wouldn't be disappointed if they go DE or LB, assuming they can get someone who can step right in and be a ball player.

When I think of the players the Bills whiffed on (Maybin) when they could have had someone like Clay Matthews, it's frustrating. Of all the blown early draft picks over the past 10 years, just imagine if only 3 of them were proven starters making an impact.

Picking a defensive back would be a huge mistake. Find players who can stop the run and pressure the QB. In a nutshell, those are the primary issues plaguing the Bills.