Is the concept of "Drafting a HOFer" real today?

OCinBuffalo

"Drafting a HOFer" and Rookie contracts  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Q1: Is it real today?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sort of
  2. 2. Q2: You answer to Q1 is because the new contract will...

• Make it more likely that players will stay with their teams
    • Make it more likely that players will leave their teams
  3. 3. Q3: IF the rookie contract system is revised

• Rookies will get less $$$, but shorter contracts
    • Rookies will get more $$$, but longer contracts
    • Rookies will get less $$$, contract length stays the same
    • Rookies will get less $$$, and longer contracts
    • None of the above

Many of us remember the Pats and Jets being ahead of Miami, and drafting Tony Eason and Ken O'Brien(links for those who don't) instead of Dan Marino in the 1983 draft. All Marino nose-candy rumors aside, this is perhaps the finest example of blowing a chance to "draft a Hall of Famer". But, that was 1983, and Free Agency basically didn't exist.

Today, with most drafted rookie contracts lasting only 4 years, and, with UDFA lasting 3, the concept of "Drafting a Hall of Famer" has taken a huge hit, IMHO, if it even exists at all. I understand the concept may still pertain to lineman and QBs...but barely.

So, when I hear people say "we may miss the chance to draft a HOFer"...it sounds absurd.

I think the NFL will adopt an NBA-style slotting system for Rookie contracts, and I think they will make the contracts last longer. I think they will be able to do this by promising the vets larger and longer FA deals, and the vets will take it, since, the players that this will effect aren't even in the league yet, and therefore, don't get to vote. :D