Just some thoughts

BillsObserver

Ryan Fitzpatrick looked devastated in his post game presser. "I really hurt our football team today" was a quote that stood out. This is notable because he normally doesn't wear his emotions on his sleeve like he did today.

There's only one line of defense thats acceptable when drafting CJ Spiller as high as the Bills did and that's if you thought he was going to be the next Chris Johnson. I hated hearing so many people give up on the guy early in the season and I still don't think it's over or anything for the kid but today was really disappointing. He's still tentative and has issues with handling the ball. Best case scenario for Bills fans is if he learns from this disappointment of a season and tears it up next year with a year of experience under his belt.

At some point I saw an offensive lineman named PEARS in place of Mansfield Wrotto. Yep, PEARS. Just remember that, folks. This offensive line is a joke. I'm not quite sure how Gailey has gotten as much as he has out of this group up until now. Draft a guy high and sign a good enough free agent and we can start talking about a better offense. We really need some freakin' talent on this team.

First game in a bit where there was nothing positive to say about Moats.

Check the Fitzmagic tracker. Fitzy hit 3,000 yards today. At first I thought that was impressive. Then I learned 20 quarterbacks total have 3,000+ yards including the likes of Chad Henne, Mark Sanchez, Sam Bradford, Matt Cassel and Matt Hasselbeck. I'm less impressed after reading that. 4 quarterbacks are in the elite 4,000+ yards club. I'm still a huge fan of Fitzy. He has done so much with SO little and don't forget that he didn't start the first 2 games. I still say surround him with better talent next year (specifically the offensive line and a real tight end) and lets see how it works out.

I was at the stadium today and damn was it cold. I did not enjoy my experience today. Sorry but it was a bad idea on my part to go. I thought I would support the team for its resilient play and lovable cast of characters but I learned a lot about the stadium experience today. Judge me as you want but sign me up as someone who genuinely enjoys watching the games in front of my big TV. Thank you to those who still buy tickets and go to the game because it allows guys like me to watch the game in the comfortable confines of my living room (when the game is sold out). That's just my take. I know many of you love to go for the tailgating experience and stadium atmosphere and that's cool with me but it's just not my thing.

One other thing to consider - the Wide Receivers group at one point (after D Nelson's injury): Stevie Johnson, Donald Jones and Naaman Roosevelt. Yikes. I like those guys but that's not good enough to win games against elite teams. I can't believe I'm saying this but I miss Lee Evans. Steve is a perfect #2 receiver, in my opinion. Still too many drops to be considered a true #1.

At the end of the day, I'm not too hurt by this loss because we got beat by one of the best quarterbacks in the game. And we turned the ball over 7 times! 7 TIMES! Expectations were ridiculously high for this game. People were tossing around "measuring stick game" way too much. Please put things in perspective - we beat a few scrub teams and a decent team. We also battled some very good teams but that was before some big injuries occurred. Look at our offensive line. Look at our wide receiver group. Look at our defense. Lets get healthy next year, add as many pieces as possible and try again next year.

As for next week - super disappointing if we end up playing the Jets b squad. Interesting to think about how we could go from having the 2nd or 3rd pick to the 9th or 10th pick depending on the outcome of this game.

Edited by Steve_JOHNSONS_hair

You must not have dressed warm enough. I had my "sleeping bag coat" on, lined jeans, insulated boots and ski shop gloves & I never felt cold. Disgusted-yes, cold-no.

This reminds of that Lane Furniture commercial where the 1 guy tries convincing 3 other friends to go to the game at the frozen tundra in freezing temperatures and blizzard conditions and they end up declining his invitation and watching the game together at home while laughing at the image of him freezing his ass off at the game. Sure, they may come off a little wimpy but there's a decent amount of people out there who feel the same way.

I came pretty prepared today but my damn feet couldn't stay warm.

Check the Fitzmagic tracker. Fitzy hit 3,000 yards today. At first I thought that was impressive. Then I learned 20 quarterbacks total have 3,000+ yards including the likes of Chad Henne, Mark Sanchez, Sam Bradford, Matt Cassel and Matt Hasselbeck. I'm less impressed after reading that. 4 quarterbacks are in the elite 4,000+ yards club. I'm still a huge fan of Fitzy. He has done so much with SO little and don't forget that he didn't start the first 2 games. I still say surround him with better talent next year (specifically the offensive line and a real tight end) and lets see how it works out.

I actually think it is a big deal that Ryan Fitzpatrick got to the 3000 yard mark. Because this is the first time that Fitzpatrick has hit that mark, and it's the first time in 8 years that a Bills QB has accomplished this.

Granted, from an NFL standpoint it might not mean as much, especially since you cited the other QB's that have thrown for that many yards this season. But this is a positive thing.

The Bills are finally moving in the right direction. Let's see what Gailey does for ACT II.

I actually think it is a big deal that Ryan Fitzpatrick got to the 3000 yard mark. Because this is the first time that Fitzpatrick has hit that mark, and it's the first time in 8 years that a Bills QB has accomplished this.

Granted, from an NFL standpoint it might not mean as much, especially since you cited the other QB's that have thrown for that many yards this season. But this is a positive thing.

The Bills are finally moving in the right direction. Let's see what Gailey does for ACT II

I agree that Gailey has the Bills moving in the right direction. Let's just hope Wilson/Nix will give him the chance that Jerry Jones did NOT!!!

On the note of Fitz breaking the 3000 yard barrier, when was the last time a WR besides Lee Evans had 1000 yards? And it's not like Lee is even a lock to get to that mark, he's only done it in 2006 (the peak of JP's career here) and 2008 (the peak of Trent's career here)...congrats to Stevie Johnson on joining that group.

1. Ryan Fitzpatrick looked devastated in his post game presser. "I really hurt our football team today" was a quote that stood out. This is notable because he normally doesn't wear his emotions on his sleeve like he did today.

2. There's only one line of defense thats acceptable when drafting CJ Spiller as high as the Bills did and that's if you thought he was going to be the next Chris Johnson. I hated hearing so many people give up on the guy early in the season and I still don't think it's over or anything for the kid but today was really disappointing. He's still tentative and has issues with handling the ball. Best case scenario for Bills fans is if he learns from this disappointment of a season and tears it up next year with a year of experience under his belt.

3. ... Fitzy [] has done so much with SO little and don't forget that he didn't start the first 2 games. I still say surround him with better talent next year (specifically the offensive line and a real tight end) and lets see how it works out.

4. I was at the stadium today and damn was it cold. I did not enjoy my experience today. Sorry but it was a bad idea on my part to go. I thought I would support the team for its resilient play and lovable cast of characters but I learned a lot about the stadium experience today. Judge me as you want but sign me up as someone who genuinely enjoys watching the games in front of my big TV. Thank you to those who still buy tickets and go to the game because it allows guys like me to watch the game in the comfortable confines of my living room (when the game is sold out). That's just my take. I know many of you love to go for the tailgating experience and stadium atmosphere and that's cool with me but it's just not my thing.

5. At the end of the day, I'm not too hurt by this loss because we got beat by one of the best quarterbacks in the game. And we turned the ball over 7 times! 7 TIMES! Expectations were ridiculously high for this game. People were tossing around "measuring stick game" way too much. Please put things in perspective - we beat a few scrub teams and a decent team. We also battled some very good teams but that was before some big injuries occurred. Look at our offensive line. Look at our wide receiver group. Look at our defense. Lets get healthy next year, add as many pieces as possible and try again next year.

6. As for next week - super disappointing if we end up playing the Jets b squad. Interesting to think about how we could go from having the 2nd or 3rd pick to the 9th or 10th pick depending on the outcome of this game.

1. That's the mark of a leader, there.

2. Spiller was as aptly-named as Loss-man was. And the best case scenario for Bills fans is that some team gives the Bills a third-round pick for Dropsy.

3. Right on. Look, if Luck were available, I'd say take him and let him Rodgers it for a couple of years, but we all know he won't be available.

4. That and the drunks are what keep me home on Sundays.

5. What happened after that first drive, when the Bills were absolutely imposing their will on the Cheats? I mean it, what the hell happened?

6. The game is meaningless now that the Jags lost in front of a "sellout" crowd of about 35,000 and seventeen tarps. So unless Ryan has his head up his wife's boyfriend's ass, well, we'll see the Jersey-B-B squad.

There are still some disfunctional things going on with the offense even though it is vastly improved from last year.

- Lee Evans is the number 1....but Stevie is the 1000 yard receiver.

- I cant think of another team in the league that gets so little out of its Tight Ends.....I mean they are virtually non existant. And on top of the lack of recieving and scoring they dont BLOCK well either!

- We are switching people in and out of that RT spot like water......we simply do not have anyone we are happy with at RT. I see players that fit at every OL spot on our team except from RT

On the note of Fitz breaking the 3000 yard barrier, when was the last time a WR besides Lee Evans had 1000 yards? And it's not like Lee is even a lock to get to that mark, he's only done it in 2006 (the peak of JP's career here) and 2008 (the peak of Trent's career here)...congrats to Stevie Johnson on joining that group.

It is ironic that we should take time to give Stevie props, and all of our no name receiver core...but blast Fitz.

The WR's were a huge liability today. They dropped perfectly thrown balls on way, way too many occasions. I don't know if anybody else felt this way, but it sure looked like two of those picks were botched routes...Fitz throwing a timing pattern, with nobody running it.

But, yes, yes, let's give props to Stevie and the crew for all of the good that they do.

Tough Loss.

Our defense had absolutely NO answer for the Patsies Offense. When I watch the Patsies I'm always amazed at how much time St. Tom has to throw. It's like he's playing touch football or something.

The Patsies' DBs were really roughing up our WRs. The fact that we had a bunch of rookies playing WR didn't help either. I like what our WRs have done this year, but we could use some help at that position too.

Gosh I hate that Spiller pick more an more with each non productive game he has. He looked great on that long pass, but dang, he fumbled on the KO and then that one on the punt at the end was pathetic. Sure, game was out of reach etc, but come on, this is the bigs. Maybe we can package him up with some picks to move up or something. I'm disgusted with this guy right now.

I'm on the build around Fitz bandwagon. The poor guy needs help out here.

I like going to the game way better than watching on TV. Usually get out to one or so a year. Living in Seattle, I go to Seahawks games now. Will be there Sunday for the NFC Worst "Championship". Look for a blowout by the Rams.

I don't know if anybody else felt this way, but it sure looked like two of those picks were botched routes...Fitz throwing a timing pattern, with nobody running it.

No. The picks were just horrifically thrown passes.

Fitz had a horrible day. That is going to happen to a "gunslinger" from time to time. All season he has been throwing balls he probably should not have thrown. Finally he ran into a defense that made him pay. Not that the rest of the team was doing any better.

And I disagree with Fitz's statement that he lost them that game.

The entire team and coaching staff got owned. Not just Fitz.

Maybe it will end up being a good thing, showing them just how far they still have to go.

Nothing quite so humbling as a complete and thorough ass kicking. It looked like men playing against boys out there.

Edited by CodeMonkey

It is ironic that we should take time to give Stevie props, and all of our no name receiver core...but blast Fitz.

The WR's were a huge liability today. They dropped perfectly thrown balls on way, way too many occasions. I don't know if anybody else felt this way, but it sure looked like two of those picks were botched routes...Fitz throwing a timing pattern, with nobody running it.

I was wondering if anyone else saw it that way. I couldn't tell for sure from the televised game, but it looked as though Fitz was throwing to a space where he expected to find a receiver, and the receiver was somewhere else.

Fitz was a total class act in his presser. Took the loss on himself, took the INTs on himself. When asked directly, acknowledged he and Roosevelt "weren't on the same page" on one of the picks and immediately followed with "that's on me as a QB to make sure we're on the same page, make sure he knows what I want him to do".

He's got this "tell" in the pressers when he's saying something I think he doesn't really believe.

I watched the presser and thought about the expression on his face after the picks and thought "two of those weren't on you".

Talley commented on Twitter "#13 never comes back for the ball".

Yeah, all of Fitzy's throws aren't perfect, but a great WR and a good WR would help him out more than he gets.

The WR we have either need to step it up two notches or are another place where upgrade is needed.

Roosevelt might be good given some more time to "get on the same page" with Fitz.

I do wonder if Fitz is too positive and needs to resort to a little 'ol fashioned ass-chewing now and again.

In Kelly's day it seemed a WR who dropped a ball, blew a route, or missed a makeable catch was a little scared to come back to the huddle.

Except maybe Fitz'd be chewing constantly?

No. The picks were just horrifically thrown passes.

You sure about that? Look again.

The pick on Stevie early in the 2nd half, that was a bad pass.