Do you have to stop when leaving Walmart when they ask to look in your

boyst

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You stated you like to see Target and Walmart go out of business. They employ over 1.5 million people between them. And most of the people they employ are lower middle class the people that you champion.

Not to mention they make many things affordable and bring products to smaller towns. Before Walmart was here we had 1 option for similar items - True Value Hardware.

I remember seeing this on the board some time back and have been searching the internet and OTW for an answer. Do you have to stop for the Walmart Greeter when they ask to look in your bag? If you are not stealing anything, if you are not doing anything wrong, I do not believe they can actually hold you to check your bags? Does anyone know?

I seriously hate how Walmart handles customers. As a matter of fact, I refuse to use self-checkout at that store.

isn't that kind of flying in the face with your first comment about hating how they handle customers? You'd rather they handle your transaction than avoid the human interaction all together? I always use self checkout and never get stopped by greeters....

I seriously hate how Walmart handles customers. As a matter of fact, I refuse to use self-checkout at that store.

i have only seen them ask to check the receipt when you walk out with something unbagged....never been asked for them to look inside my grocery...course with self-checkout, i bet its a necessary evil

Of course Poojer has never been one to listen to "stop" or "no" or "Who are you and how did you get into my apartment?"

I have seen some real unemployment rates as high as 22%. 307 million Americans, 78% employed = 239,460,000 working Americans- and 1.5 million (6.7%) work at Walmart. No wonder our country is !@#$ed

Check your math. 100*(1,500,000/239,460,000) = 0.627%.

Just eyeballing it should tell you that 1 million is 1% of 100 million. So there's no way 1.5 million could be 6+% of 239 million.

And you should probably subtract children, retired people, and the disabled from the population to get a better overall number.

http://www.bls.gov/cps/

**The following calculation is only being used to determine the size of the US workforce, not to dispute the unemployment # you presented**

2010 #'s:

Unemployment rate = 9.1%

# of unemployed = 14,825,000

Total population of workforce should be about (14,825,000/.091) = 163 million.

So instead of using 307 million, try using 163 million.

1.5/163 = 0.92% of the US works at Wallyworld and Target.

Also note: "The labor force is the sum of employed and unemployed persons. The labor force participation rate is the labor force as a percent of the civilian noninstitutional population."

ftp://ftp.bls.gov/pub/special.requests/lf/aat3.txt

I remember seeing this on the board some time back and have been searching the internet and OTW for an answer. Do you have to stop for the Walmart Greeter when they ask to look in your bag? If you are not stealing anything, if you are not doing anything wrong, I do not believe they can actually hold you to check your bags? Does anyone know?

One good thing about Walmart is that it's a great place for homeless and indigent folks to hang out.

People of Walmart

:blink:

Videos

Edited by Mr_Blizzard

No, you don't have to stop when they ask to see your receipt. In fact, if they do stop you you have a pretty good unlawful detainment case. That's why they won't physically try to stop you. Department stores have been successfully sued many times for detaining customers that they thought were shoplifting but weren't. The only way they can stop you from leaving is if they witness you stealing or its on tape.

The consumerist reports on this kind of thing all the time.

Not only do they have a legal right to do that, they have a legal right to bill you for the security costs of them thinking you stole something.

Seriously. They think you shoplifted, they can bill you. No criminal complaint required...hell, no shoplifting required. Just the suspicion.

You can be billed for someone choosing to harass you? I'm not saying I doubt you, but I'd love to see a court uphold that.

Asking for your reciept is harassing you? Damn you folks are a bunch of whiney, sensitive babies.

No, but I wouldn't assume that asking for a receipt wouldn't be something that would cause a billable expense. I assumed that the poster was referring to something more involved such as an interrogation or physical search? That would be harassment if there was no probable cause.

No, but I wouldn't assume that asking for a receipt wouldn't be something that would cause a billable expense. I assumed that the poster was referring to something more involved such as an interrogation or physical search? That would be harassment if there was no probable cause.

It's called false imprisonment and it costs stores a lot of money.