Do you have to stop when leaving Walmart when they ask to look in your

boyst

I remember seeing this on the board some time back and have been searching the internet and OTW for an answer. Do you have to stop for the Walmart Greeter when they ask to look in your bag? If you are not stealing anything, if you are not doing anything wrong, I do not believe they can actually hold you to check your bags? Does anyone know?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you set off the security thing at the exit?

I'm guessing he is referring to the rather random spot checks the Walmart door-tenders sometimes perform. They take a peek at your receipt and inside your bag. Rarely happens and usually isn't very thorough. No security siren necessary.

Could you refuse and make a scene and giant ass-wipe of yourself. I suppose you could to that route.

Did you set off the security thing at the exit?

No. I never have taken anything from any store, stealing or not. I just seem to always get asked for my receipt. Whether I am carrying 1 large item, a handfull of bags, or a cart I get asked for my receipt 4/5 times it seems. I know there is profiling but I am the most average looking guy out there! I just get tired of having to set down whatever I have to find my receipt in the bag, having it in my pocket, or holding it out so they can see it. I just want to go home usually. I do not want to be rude or anything, I just get tired of always being asked to stop while an elderly person with coke bottle glasses looks at my receipt when they never look in my bags. I know they cannot physically touch me and I know they cannot search my person (including my bag), but that is what makes me wonder if I even have to stop for them? What legal right do they have to stop me if I am not suspected of theft?

Could you refuse and make a scene and giant ass-wipe of yourself. I suppose you could to that route.

No, I do not want to be a jerk, I usually do not mind showing them my receipt, but when I am carrying a large item (dog food, etc), in a hurry, or just have one simple item and they saw me check out right in front of them at the mini checkout I just wonder if I can tell them no thanks and go about my day without being mean or nasty to them.

Edited by jboyst62

No. I never have taken anything from any store, stealing or not. I just seem to always get asked for my receipt. Whether I am carrying 1 large item, a handfull of bags, or a cart I get asked for my receipt 4/5 times it seems. I know there is profiling but I am the most average looking guy out there! I just get tired of having to set down whatever I have to find my receipt in the bag, having it in my pocket, or holding it out so they can see it. I just want to go home usually. I do not want to be rude or anything, I just get tired of always being asked to stop while an elderly person with coke bottle glasses looks at my receipt when they never look in my bags. I know they cannot physically touch me and I know they cannot search my person (including my bag), but that is what makes me wonder if I even have to stop for them? What legal right do they have to stop me if I am not suspected of theft?

No, I do not want to be a jerk, I usually do not mind showing them my receipt, but when I am carrying a large item (dog food, etc), in a hurry, or just have one simple item and they saw me check out right in front of them at the mini checkout I just wonder if I can tell them no thanks and go about my day without being mean or nasty to them.

My recommendation is to push the old lady to the ground on your way out! Or, shiv the mofo.

I remember seeing this on the board some time back and have been searching the internet and OTW for an answer. Do you have to stop for the Walmart Greeter when they ask to look in your bag? If you are not stealing anything, if you are not doing anything wrong, I do not believe they can actually hold you to check your bags? Does anyone know?

You are under absolutely no obligation to stop for them. Hell, even if the security thing goes off, I still don't think you have any obligation to stick around.

i have only seen them ask to check the receipt when you walk out with something unbagged....never been asked for them to look inside my grocery...course with self-checkout, i bet its a necessary evil

Not only do they have a legal right to do that, they have a legal right to bill you for the security costs of them thinking you stole something.

Seriously. They think you shoplifted, they can bill you. No criminal complaint required...hell, no shoplifting required. Just the suspicion.

Not only do they have a legal right to do that, they have a legal right to bill you for the security costs of them thinking you stole something.

Seriously. They think you shoplifted, they can bill you. No criminal complaint required...hell, no shoplifting required. Just the suspicion.

In the Walmart/Costco kind of check, I don't think they suspect the person they check of shoplifting, at least not specifically. I think it is a general check to help dissuade shoplifting.

Refuse and report back. :devil:

In the Walmart/Costco kind of check, I don't think they suspect the person they check of shoplifting, at least not specifically. I think it is a general check to help dissuade shoplifting.

I would assume the moment you decline to let them check, they can use that as an excuse for suspicion.

Do it. Worst that can happen is they detain you a little longer that day. Either way, you know for the future (and so do we :))

Last time I saw someone refuse and make a break for it, a little old guy on a hov-a-round scooter ran him down and detained him until the authorities arrived.

My recommendation is to push the old lady to the ground on your way out! Or, shiv the mofo.

I was waiting for the scene in No Country For Old Men, or one of those movies a guy to have bought a shot gun and blasted his way out of the store once he made his purchase. In all seriousness, I found a story of a 99yr old greeter who got in front of a large man up North somewhere and she got knocked down. The story was that he did not intend to knock her down that he was large and she was small. She broke her arm and no charges were filed. I thought that was interesting, sad, too. Wal-Mart probably didn't give two nickels care about that lady.

Just curious where you got this from? I read that in Cali they are legally allowed to detain you, which I was shocked to read. I could not find anything for anywhere else, including NC.

The next time I go and see a manager I will ask them. I do not want to be a jerk but when I have one item in the bag and a lady with a cart full is walking by I get stopped. I just do not get the logic and unfortunately sometimes I have no other choice to go there. I only purchase certain items from there, usually never food or other items.

Shop at Target.

Target is 30 minutes away, K-Mart is 20, Big Lots is here but that is even lower then Wal-Mart. I wish we did have a Target & a Kohls here. A Best Buy would be nice, too.

Demand to see their AARP card and while they're looking for it, leave.

lots of interesting links on this subject on the net.

here's my favorite because it includes two printable 'no you can't see my receipt' cards, one fairly polite and one rude :D

http://bigrobby.com/walmart/print-your-pass/

here's a couple more:

http://www.crimedoctor.com/loss_prevention_3.htm

here's another that references the 'shopkeeper's privelege' part of the law:

http://www.freelawanswer.com/law/2181-law-5.html

Demand to see their AARP card and while they're looking for it, leave.

It says here you are only 68 years old. That's FAR too young to be a Walmart greeter/bag-checker. I DEMAND someone over 70 check my bag!

It says here you are only 68 years old. That's FAR too young to be a Walmart greeter/bag-checker. I DEMAND someone over 70 check my bag!

lol, you can also play the "WHAT?!? YOU don't look anywhere NEAR 68! I don't believe you for a second...this license is a forgery!" game with the elderly ladies...they fall for that crap every time!! :lol:

....ummm, I mean, we should spend more time appreciating the elderly in our society and treat them with the utmost respect at all times :)

(that **** works EVERY TIME, though....seriously!)