WWII pilot who forever repaid rescuers dies at 94

Booster4324

Simply, wow.

Link

After revisiting the village of Ea Ea in 1960, he came home, raised $15,000 over three years, "most of it $5 and $10 gifts," and then returned with 17-year-old son Richard in 1963 to contract for the building of the villagers' first school.

In the decades to come, Hargesheimer's U.S. fundraising and determination built a clinic, another school and libraries in Ea Ea, renamed Nantabu, and surrounding villages.

In 1970, their three children grown, Hargesheimer and his late wife, Dorothy, moved to New Britain, today an out-island of the nation of Papua New Guinea, and taught the village children themselves for four years. The Nantabu school's experimental plot of oil palm even helped create a local economy, a large plantation with jobs for impoverished villagers.

Simply, wow.

Link

I swear, I caught nothing more the headline, and said "Aw, Fred Hargesheimer died. That sucks. How do I know who the !@#$ Fred Hargesheimer is?"

Must have read his story way back, and forgot it until now. It sucks having a steel-trap mind for useless trivia.

(Story's wrong, by the way: he flew F-5s, not P-38s).

An F-5 in WW2? I thought they did not start production until the mid to late 50s, a tad late for WW2.

nice story. There are probably more like this than we realise, just most never make it into the news.

Perhaps Tom meant this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-5_Lightning

It looks to be a P-38 that was modified. It is "a photo-reconnaissance version of the P-38 Lightning" it seems.

Perhaps Tom meant this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-5_Lightning

It looks to be a P-38 that was modified. It is "a photo-reconnaissance version of the P-38 Lightning" it seems.

Yep. The WWII designations were: B = bomber, P = pursuit (fighter), F = photo-recon (since "P" was taken for "pursuit"). When the USAF gained their independence, "F" became fighter, and recon became something with "R" in it ("RF", "TR", "SR").

And yes, it was a "photo-recon version of the P-38"...but the mods were kinda important, even in the context.

Edited by DC Tom