Spray on Stem Cells

SALT LAKE CITY -- A spray solution of a patient's own stem cells is healing their severe burns. So far, early experiments under a University of Utah pilot project are showing some remarkable results.

http://www.ksl.com/?...3424065&nid=148

There's no need for anyone to get their panties in a wad over this one because they're not using embryonic stem cells. This article is nearly a month old, but I just came across it.

Pretty cool stuff!

Very cool stuff! I say we are about a decade away from swamp-thing like regeneration.

Probably more like four - big difference (like, orders of magnitude) between regenerating skin, and regenerating skin, bone, vascular, muscular, and nervous tissue all at once.

Hell, the simple fact that the anecdote in the story was about treating a diabetic for a diabetic complication, and not diabetes directly (which should, in a hand-waving sense, be theoretically be possible by implanting stem cells into the pancreas to generate insulin-producing cells) is a pretty clear indicator of current limits. Generating skin is a really cool step...but it's also a very, very small baby step.

Probably more like four - big difference (like, orders of magnitude) between regenerating skin, and regenerating skin, bone, vascular, muscular, and nervous tissue all at once.

Hell, the simple fact that the anecdote in the story was about treating a diabetic for a diabetic complication, and not diabetes directly (which should, in a hand-waving sense, be theoretically be possible by implanting stem cells into the pancreas to generate insulin-producing cells) is a pretty clear indicator of current limits. Generating skin is a really cool step...but it's also a very, very small baby step.

It's theoretically possible now in the aggregate to achieve all at once regeneration. They have formed organs, soft tissue, nerve cells and bone from stem cells. Kind of like replacing each part on a car one by one.

It's theoretically possible now in the aggregate to achieve all at once regeneration. They have formed organs, soft tissue, nerve cells and bone from stem cells. Kind of like replacing each part on a car one by one.

Which is not "swamp-thing-like regeneration", which is what you said.

http://www.ksl.com/?...3424065&nid=148

There's no need for anyone to get their panties in a wad over this one because they're not using embryonic stem cells. This article is nearly a month old, but I just came across it.

Pretty cool stuff!

Well I'm sure someone, somewhere is outraged and/or offended and has been for nearly the last month. Franky, I'm disappointed at the lack of public outcry. Buncha Namby Pamby's.

Very cool stuff! I say we are about a decade away from swamp-thing like regeneration.

If only we could regenerate Adrienne Barbeau.

Well I'm sure someone, somewhere is outraged and/or offended and has been for nearly the last month. Franky, I'm disappointed at the lack of public outcry. Buncha Namby Pamby's.

If only we could regenerate Adrienne Barbeau.

Like from 30 years ago? Makes me feel like I could start on the Bills offensive line.

No, not now but possibly in 10 years as previously stated. At second thought your 40 years may be close to reality.

Like I said, order-of-magnitude difference. The "instruction set" (for lack of a better term) you have to give stem cells to turn them into skin is vastly less complex than the "instruction set" for growing a new limb.

Like I said, order-of-magnitude difference. The "instruction set" (for lack of a better term) you have to give stem cells to turn them into skin is vastly less complex than the "instruction set" for growing a new limb.

Still, when you think on it, a very impressive future for the technique. If we can get to the point where we can regenerate tissue and organs in the next forty years that will extend the lifetime of a ton of people. That should be a good thing... :unsure:

Still, when you think on it, a very impressive future for the technique. If we can get to the point where we can regenerate tissue and organs in the next forty years that will extend the lifetime of a ton of people. That should be a good thing... :unsure:

But only people who can afford it...i.e. rich people.

That should be fun. <_<

Oh I dunno 'bout that. I can think of several people who ought to have their life spans shortened.