Further blurring the lines between Politics and Entertainment

/dev/null

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So basicly this board's considered opinion is that all celebs should just shut the hell up when it comes to politics, unless of course what they have to say matches the selected listener's preconcieved political beliefs?

Is that a correct statement?

Wouldn't that be boring?

No need for celebs when you have Fox News and MSNBC, and yes it IS boring.

The only thing that amazes me is that you "claim" to only agree with 99.8% of what Rush thinks. Did you run some statistical analysis to come up with your extraordinary .2% disagreement rate?

Shows that you are just a lemming and follow the party line. Have you ever actually listened to him?

So basicly this board's considered opinion is that all celebs should just shut the hell up when it comes to politics, unless of course what they have to say matches the selected listener's preconcieved political beliefs?

Wouldn't that be boring?

Probably. Although I think all celebs (save for a very select few on a very small number of topics - I'll listen to Matthew McConaughey talk about poverty in Mali, if I ever start to care about it) should just shut the hell up, period. Why the !@#$ would anyone take Sean Penn seriously on the topic of hurricane rescue and recovery?

Shows that you are just a lemming and follow the party line. Have you ever actually listened to him?

I'm the party-line lemming who agrees with the media mouthpiece of "my" party 99.8% of the time??? Are you listening to yourself?

Like I said, I find Rush's blubbering Oxycontin-fueled rants entertaining, so yes, I've actually listened to him.

I'm the party-line lemming who agrees with the media mouthpiece of "my" party 99.8% of the time??? Are you listening to yourself?

Like I said, I find Rush's blubbering Oxycontin-fueled rants entertaining, so yes, I've actually listened to him.

If you have listened to him then you would know that the 99.8% figure comes from him, who states that on most every show. Not only did you misrepresent what I said but you successfully displayed your ignorance and blind lemming like adherence to "your" party line. Frenkle, you are nothing but a Connor wantabe.

If you have listened to him then you would know that the 99.8% figure comes from him, who states that on most every show. Not only did you misrepresent what I said but you successfully displayed your ignorance and blind lemming like adherence to "your" party line. Frenkle, you are nothing but a Connor wantabe.

Ah, so Rush tells you that you agree with him 99.8% of the time. Got it. :thumbsup:

Correct me if I'm wrong, considering you came to his defense in this thread, don't you think that it least implies that you somewhat agree with his stance?

No, I was nit-picking. Nanker implied he was not deserving of the money he had made. His movies have been very successful, and the people who have backed his movies have made money. In a a capitalistic society, can you ask for anything else?

Ah, so Rush tells you that you agree with him 99.8% of the time. Got it. :thumbsup:

No Nancy, I started out making a facetious remark that you took as a serious one (although I do believe that he isn't far off) and then tried to refute as you claimed to actually listen to him. If you have actually listened to him then you would have understood what I was saying. So, you misunderstood what I was saying thus proving that you are nothing but a misinformed leftist lemming marching lock step with your liberal maestros. Just because Connor is on hiatus doesn't mean that you have to so ably fill in for him.

No Nancy, I started out making a facetious remark that you took as a serious one (although I do believe that he isn't far off) and then tried to refute as you claimed to actually listen to him. If you have actually listened to him then you would have understood what I was saying. So, you misunderstood what I was saying thus proving that you are nothing but a misinformed leftist lemming marching lock step with your liberal maestros. Just because Connor is on hiatus doesn't mean that you have to so ably fill in for him.

Thanks for clearing that up. :lol:

Wouldn't that be boring?

No on all accounts.

I suppose the irony of Affleck's comments must have went right over your head.

So let me break it down in simple terms for you and maybe you'll understand, specially considering you made no mention of this point in your post.

1)Ben Affleck makes alot of money.

2)Many people (right or wrong) believe that many actors are overpaid.

3)Ben Affleck (who by some people believe is overpaid) criticized another profession for being overpaid.

4)The profession he was discussing was CEO compensation, in which many people (right or wrong) believe is an overpaid position.

So the point being is that someone who could be easily categorized (right or wrong) as an overpaid individual making the statement of another profession for being excessively overpaid (right or wrong), leaves him open for fair criticism.

This is logical.

Btw, I don't believe Affleck is overpaid and I don't believe most CEO's (certainly not in generalized terms) are overpaid.

I have, almost daily as a matter of fact. He routinely twists and distorts things. IIRC the company that rates his truthfulness is owned by him.

Sounds like Michael Moore, actually...

Btw, I don't believe Affleck is overpaid

Clearly you haven't seen Gigli.

Probably. Although I think all celebs (save for a very select few on a very small number of topics - I'll listen to Matthew McConaughey talk about poverty in Mali, if I ever start to care about it)

I typically hate it when celebs use their status to get vocal about one thing or another, not because they do it, but because they do it so superficially. And if you've ever heard Richard Gere discuss Tibet or Harry Chapin talk about world hunger, you know the difference between someone who is genuinely knowledgable about what they're saying , and someone who is just trying to up their exposure by appealing to the Huffington Post readers.

You'd think Haiti was back to normal.

As his movies have been pretty profitable, yes. Now I despise when ignorant Hollywood movie types chime in, but this is a guy who made the money.

Don't even equate what actors do to what CEOs do. Take away the directors, producers, screen writers, camera people, editors etc and Benny's nothing more than a member of the high school drama club.

Don't even equate what actors do to what CEOs do. Take away the directors, producers, screen writers, camera people, editors etc and Benny's nothing more than a member of the high school drama club.

Actually, Affleck did win an Oscar for writing Good Will Hunting. And he's directed and produced some well-received films.

So we could sub in any CEO in his place and they would have been able to make as much money as him? So you are flat out saying he is overpaid?

I was not knocking CEO pay. For the record, I do think that in some instances, some are overpaid. Seems silly to be making say 40 million, when under your guidance the company lost a couple of billion. But that seems to be the rarity, so it does not really bug me. Their actually income is usually a tiny percentage of the companies revenue, so if that is the way they want to run it, fine by me.

Actually, Affleck did win an Oscar for writing Good Will Hunting. And he's directed and produced some well-received films.

...and The Town was pretty decent for "that type" of movie. Pleasantly surprised & didn't fall asleep once. More than I can say for Inception.

Edited by DrFishfinder