Star Quality or blue collar?

Why not? He has clearly outperformed Marshall , and Johnson only has 125 yrds and 2 touchdowns more than him. I think he has all the tools to become a star wide receiver. Stars in the NFL are playmakers , and thats pretty much all Stevie Johnson has done this year, which is make plays.

SJ is has already outperformed the "star" he replaced on the roster.

SJ is has already outperformed the "star" he replaced on the roster.

The next two games should provide some data on what we could expect from SJ in the "spotlight". I get what you're implying about Evans. He seems to be a 1 trick pony, but his speed still draws the double team which allows our other wide's to roam alittle more freely. It will be interesting to see how the group continues to respond to increased attention from the opposing DC. For the record I very much like our group of wide outs and while many are looking for the next great QB in the teams history, I like Fitz. Most people felt Montana would be a bust coming out of ND. He was under sized with less than stellar arm strenght, but that didn't turn out to bad for San Fran.

Edited by Tarkus II

The next two games should provide some data on what we could expect from SJ in the "spotlight". I get what you're implying about Evans. He seems to be a 1 trick pony, but his speed still draws the double team which allows our other wide's to roam alittle more freely. It will be interesting to see how the group continues to respond to increased attention from the opposing DC.

I wasn't talking about Evans (who isn't much of a star anyway).

Steve (I refuse to use the preferred "ie" as this should be stopped after a boy turns 5 years old) Johnson is what scouts and GM's in-the-know call a football PLAYER (Modrak, you can sit down...I said scouts and GM's "in the know").

They don't have great measurements, don't run some freaky, steroid-enhanced -4.2 forty yard dash, aren't juiced to the gills like that WR in San Diego who just came back and weighs something like 225 lbs...Vincent Jackson?

Anyways, Johnson does not impress with his measurements.

But on Sunday, he's a gamer.

Another poster commented on Jerry Rice. I agree in that Rice also did not have the great size, or great measurable speed, or superior elusiveness. But year after year, he got it done, won Super Bowls, and became one of the best ever at his position.

Am I suggesting that Johnson is another Rice? I don't think so. But if he keeps producing like he has been this year, we'll be winning more games sooner rather than later.

And here is yet another reason why all of those who want the big name coach, or the big name GM, or the big name free agent don't know what they're talking about.

Go Chan, Go Buddy, and Go Steve.

Anyone know what Stevie did in college?

I'll tell you, he made plays and made things happen.

Anyone know what Stevie did with the few opportunities he got under JorON?

He made plays.

Anyone know what Stevie did when a competent offensive mind gave he an opportunity to start?

He made plays.

Anyone know what is going to happen next year or the year after when/if Stevie gets a chance to start?

Well it's impossible to know but it's very likely he is going to make plays.

That is what Stevie does. He makes plays, he makes things happen.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Stevie Johnson has been a pleasant surprise, but he will never be the next Brandon Marshall or Calvin Johnson, as he has neither the size or speed to dominate in the NFL. He just makes plays! Is this enough, or will the Bills need to find a Dynamic threat at wide out down the road, so they can slide Stevie back to #2? What do you think?

Why think, all we have to do is watch and see.

Way down down the list of things they need Remeber Easley will be available next year. It like a free third round pick

I am pretty high on Easley too, and I cannot say why because he hasn't done a thing yet in the NFL, but he looked great in camp against our defensive starters. I can see where some would laugh that off, but there are plenty of prospects that come into camp and are overwelmed.

I think it is because he is a story we all like to hear, a local Connecticut boy who walked on at UCon, ended up sitting on the bench, mr. irrelevant, finally given a chance in his senior year and surprising all the "experts". I like the idea of a player who understands what "opportunity" means and maybe is willing to work hard to prove it on the field.

With good size, great hands, Easley was clocked at a 4.46 40 in the combine and had a legit 4.39 40 at UConn's Pro Day. If he had run that at the combine, it would have placed him right behind the top time set by Ford (which was a unbelievable 4.28). You have to respect speed, but it does not always translate into success on the field - receivers have to have all the tools. There have been plenty of fast players who run terrible routes and have hands of stone.

With Easley, just knowing he has the capability of turning on those kinds of jets, goot hands and all the other tools makes me believe that we may have really good depth at the WR position when he comes back healthy (fingers crossed).