Dumb overly simplistic question of the day

RkFast

If South Korea has a perfectly competent and strong military, and an economy more than capabile of supporting in and expanding it as needed why does the US continue to keep large numbers of troops in the DMZ?

On edit...found some answers here: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071209231941AAmSh58.

But any other feedback from our resident experts on such matters?

Edited by RkFast

That answer in the link is funny. 30,000 "ceremonial" troops? That's a helluva ceremony!

I know....Yahoo Answers is like a Wikipedia run by drunk people, but you can find some nuggets of wisdom there from time to time.

Edited by RkFast

I know....Yahoo Answers is like a Wikipedia run by drunk people, but you can find some nuggets of wisdom there from time to time.

Like sometimes there's perfectly good corn in my poop. "Largely ceremonial"...oh, and keeping North Korea from blasting into the south.

Edited by Peace

North Korea has an active military of roughly 1.1 million, but could maybe field 2x that by conscripting non-military persons. Whether or not they would be capable of fighting (non-military persons) would be the ultimate question. Could North Korea maintain the fight for very long without significant assistance from China, probably not.

I suspect we are there because we don't want to let China have the final say in Korea. Global politics factors into it heavily. Japan probably wants us there more than the South Koreans.